Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: LOYAL VOLUNTEER BUILD LOG  (Read 21426 times)

sailorboy61

Re: LOYAL VOLUNTEER BUILD LOG
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2011, 10:20:38 pm »

Liking the stand, could do with a swish one like that for mine (bought not built I quickly add!)

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2011, 12:08:26 am »

The stand is made directly from the instruction manual.  I like the design, too.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2011, 10:45:08 pm »

Hi

I've really enjoyed your build log and the pictures are great - really crisp. The buff yellow is spot on and I think it adds some real warmth (if that makes any sense) to the overall vision. You mentioned early on you use styrene a lot - I've been looking for some resource on building with it but not found what I need yet. Can you point me to anything suitable - best thicknes, shaping, glueing etc? I hope you don't mind my asking.

Regards Norseman

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2011, 10:56:24 pm »

We are on opposite sides of the Pond, so I'm no help in sourcing styrene on your side.  Over here there is Evergreen Plastics and such.  As to shaping styrene, You can mark straight cuts, then score the line 2-4 times with a sharp knife, then snap the pieces apart.  Clean up any roughness with a bit of sandpaper. 

As to gluing styrene:
Buy a can of MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) from your hardware store (about $9 a quart in NW Washington).  Get a small glass jar with a tight metal lid, such as  pickled artichokes come in.   Make 1/4" hole in the lid, of a size for which you have a tight fitting plug.  Screw the lid on tight.

Pour in about ¼ cup of MEK.  Cut up a teaspoon or 2 of styrene into chips and put in it the jar.  Install the plug.  Go have a cold one, or wait until tomorrow (gives the styrene a chance to dissolve).  You now have enough cheap styrene glue to build the Queen Mary at 1:24.  Apply with a small brush or a syringe or a dropper.  This can be used to fill very small gaps in styrene, too.

My Loyal Volunteer is built this way.  This technique is given in the kit's instructions, from Model Slipways.

Good luck.   :-))

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2011, 11:41:22 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply. Just one further question what thickness styrene would you use for say a wheelhouse? I've seen Styrene up to 2mm thick.

Regards Norseman

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2011, 12:14:01 am »

The wheelhouse sides on the Loyal kit are 1 mm.  But they are made by sandwiching 2 pieces together.  You can see this fairly well in my pictures 28.1, 28.3 and 28.5 above.  The double thickness may have been used just to give the windows their shadow effect, but the sides tried to bow inward before I added the brass angle sitffeners, too.  The decks and main cabin sides are thicker, about 1/16".

Tim B.

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2011, 09:10:19 pm »

Mister, this is one of the best looking models I have ever seen, your patience, creativy and skills are admireable.

Tim B.

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2011, 03:30:40 pm »

CGAUX, after seeing your model I knew it was a MUST build for me ...
After MONTHS of searching, I looks like I have finally found one of the last ones around - in Australia.
I am inspired by your attention to detail and will try to do my best on this one ....
Tim

ringmaster51146

• Shipmate
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2013, 12:25:44 am »

Does anyone have a copy of this article?  Kit Review Ivor Warne - Model Boats  ............ /Apr/May 96 Loyal Moderator -David Metcalf - MB Dec 1981 Loyal  ......
I have tried to buy it on EBay UK however the seller won't ship to USA.
Thanks
Ed
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.