Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: deck wiring  (Read 2335 times)

Andy H

deck wiring
« on: November 14, 2010, 08:21:29 pm »

Hi all,
I have a fishing boat [catherine] which i'm about to wire up the port & starboard lights along with two deck lights.

I have a 4.8V 2100mAh bat....... a mini switch....... lights with the appropriate resistors...and a small circuit board..

can anyone sketch out a suitable wiring diagram to show me the way forward

kind regards

Triton

Re: deck wiring
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:46:02 am »

Hi Andy,

Assuming you're using LEDs, check out this link

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

Put in the values, click on "design my array" and it'll come up with a wiring diagram along with resistor values for you.

Typical forward voltage is 2.5V, forward current 20mA.

Hope this helps,

John

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:05:03 am »

Thanks Triton......... :-)) ...... that's pretty cool for members who forget ohm's Law.......including me ... %% ....Derek

i=vr.....v=i/r? ....r= ixv?..... O0 {-) >>:-(
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

PMK

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:54:24 am »

And not forgetting......

W = V*I (or) W = V2/R (or) W = I2*R, etc, etc.......

Andy H, your initial question is akin to asking how long is a piece of string - in the nicest possible sense, of course. So can you be a tad more specific? For instance, do you want your navigation lights to glow at the same time as your deck lights?

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 10:11:54 am »

The other thing to remember is that the luminosity of different colours of LEDs is different because of physical differences and differences in the response of the eye.

I would suggest running the LEDs for the Nav lights off separate resistors and tweaking the values until they match in brightness. Also run the cabin lights off a separate resitor so you can get more brightness than the nav lights. If you cannot rely on the LEDs for the cabin lights being from the same batch, run each one off its own resistor so differences in response do not result in differences in brightness.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

Triton

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 06:10:30 pm »

Just a further note of warning from what I've read elsewhere: I wouldn't use a resistor value that is lower than that calculated as you risk shortening the life of the LED. Better to use a higher value to bring any brighter ones down to the level of the dimmest, or below if necessary. Also bear in mind that a typical tolerance value of resistors is +/- 5%.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.