Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: superstructure seal.  (Read 3716 times)

RODDERS

superstructure seal.
« on: November 15, 2010, 08:32:42 pm »

Hi All
 Ive been thinking about how to seal the removable s/s to the deck. The whole s/s structure comes off leaving a oblong hole in the deck .Do I need a good waterproof seal,or just a reasonable seal? Does much water get on to the decks in use? Looking for some sort of rubber/plastic type flexible seal.Maybe build an upstand round the deck hole about 6mm high and fit the s/s structure on this? Any ideas please?
      Thanks
         Rod

Umi_Ryuzuki

Re: superstructure seal.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 08:44:01 pm »

A good height combing inside, under the superstructure will keep any water out.
The superstructure will then just set over the top.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:08:11 pm »

But don't just plonk it on top. You also need some sort of fastening to hold it down. I have seen several sinkings in recent years where the superstructure has blown off, been thrown off by wave motion or knocked off by another boat. It happens very easily!

Colin

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 01:22:56 am »

Hi All
 Ive been thinking about how to seal the removable s/s to the deck. The whole s/s structure comes off leaving a oblong hole in the deck .Do I need a good waterproof seal,or just a reasonable seal? Does much water get on to the decks in use? Looking for some sort of rubber/plastic type flexible seal.Maybe build an up-stand round the deck hole about 6mm high and fit the s/s structure on this? Any ideas please?
      Thanks
         Rod

What is the solution relating to say a Perkasa or Elco PT boat kits where the removable section is flush with and keys into the deck.

Providing an up-stand is not so simple, some other form of sealing is required to prevent ingress of water?

TomTheKraut

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 06:14:25 am »

Morning,
... in case of flush superstructure get yourself some petroleum jelly and some silicone (the bathroom/tile type) and make a watertight seal.
You will need something to clamp down the superstructure in place though, be it by screws, Dzus fasteners or any other means.

- Remove superstructure to access the support of the removable deck area.
- Make sure the superstructure support is solidly attached to the fixed deck (there will be some extended pressure).
- Put a generous and uninterrupted(!) bead of silicone on the deck support.
- Treat underside of superstructure with a light layer of petroleum jelly in every place where it will touch the silicone. Don't forget the sides of the flush deck area.
- With jelly side down put superstructure in place and fix it in place with flush deck.
- Let silicone cure

After the silicone has cured, remove the superstructure. Due to the petroleum jelly it should not have stuck to the silicone bead.
The silicone should now form an uninterrupted and slightly compressible seal on the superstructure support area.
Any excess silicone can be cut off with a sharp knife.
When the superstructure is in place it will be pressed against the silicone bead, thus forming a watertight seal.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 08:49:51 am »

Tom,
In effect we have made a gasket seal.  :-)) :-)) :-))

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 08:57:19 am »

these also look like a handy thing to use , a couple of these and you could transfer all your light power's  and hold it on.

peter

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8697

Lord Bungle

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 11:26:33 am »

looks an interesting bit of kit, a simple idea, I can lots of uses for it.

TomTheKraut

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 12:04:10 pm »

Tom,
In effect we have made a gasket seal.  :-)) :-)) :-))

Aye  O0
I just wasn't awake enough to pluck that word off the tip of my tongue earlier today...  :embarrassed:

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 12:42:19 pm »

Aye  O0
I just wasn't awake enough to pluck that word off the tip of my tongue earlier today...  :embarrassed:

Tom,
An advantage about being down under.  O0 O0 {-) {-)

Peter,
Like the "magnets" plenty of possibilities here.  :-)) :-))

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 12:15:38 am »

My solution on my Springer, GINNY D is cheap weatherstripping from my local hardware store.  I built the clearance between the upstand in the hull and the superstructure with a clearance of half the uncompressed thickness of the weatherstrip.  Glued it on with 3M 4200 marine sealant.  When the S/S is pushed down on the hull I feel the weatherstrip crush a bit.  This boat gets a "Springer launch" every trip to the pond, plus it plays water polo and tries to submerge at speed.  Seldom more than one or two drops of H2O inside after an hours' run.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.