Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: the black rose  (Read 36499 times)

kiwi

Re: the black rose
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 09:27:37 pm »

Hi Ken,
Usually do that, but the wee modify tag is not appearing on my screen any more.
Not all that computer literate, so don't know why.
thanks
kiwi

ps edit
well blow me down, it worked this time, why not on my last 3 posts, as I did check then straight after I posted?
Me and computers not always compatible.
cheers
kiwi

pps edit
for those after the "Black Rose" modified drawings, they will be a few days as I generate full size (in this case B1) drawings as one PDF file at work, and  they have just upgraded to a different PDF generator, and so I have to relearn the ropes again, as the new one is so much more difficult to use. Gone from two click's to 5 or 6 different screens. Well they tell me its progress and the end result is better, will reserve judgement until I see the results. Will also have a fiddle with some suggestions from Jimmy James (thanks for them JJ nice and simple and different to what I had in mind), re controlling the sails, so will see how we go and maybe issue a further sheet with my results. Anyone thinking of R/c ing the BR should have a read through Jimmy's threads, very informative and practicle from a very experienced seaman modeler
cheers
kiwi

LarryW

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 09:27:56 am »

hi kwiwi i see you are going to modify br drawings , what changes are you going to do?....
  hi tug kenny thinking of begoming a pirate/ {-) but beware of the john king ok2.....larry

kiwi

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 09:41:16 am »

Hi Larry,
Only minor modes. Have moved the mainsail from the main (central mast) to the lower foreward mast. That foreward sail is now a spare, and made a much larger mainsail, with more belly. Just looks a lot better. When I've done my r/c installation will include these as well on a third sheet, haven't done this as will be having a go at incorpoating some suggestions by Jimmy James, and use the existing Capstain etc. I'll be fitting 2.4MHz gear.
But this may not be complete until after Christmas. I have already amended the drawings with the larger sails etc, so will send these to you in a couple of days if you wish
Love what you have done so far, I'm most impressed with your build
cheers
kiwi

hollowhornbear

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 10:42:31 am »

Hi  all,
Larry looking good in fact fantastic  :-))  :-))  :-))
Kiwi will the RC be able to be retro fitted or best fitted during the build?

LarryW

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 10:50:48 am »

thank you press gang ed crew from pound shop ,will mould them into shape .over christmas  ,yes i would be interested in mods..........larry. :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2010, 09:42:14 pm »

Very interesting subject eh Larry  :-))   Don't seem to have much spare time  though   8)

Keep at the computer Kiwi, your doing great.    ok2

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Boy From the Bay

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 04:31:06 am »

Hi Kiwi

Great job, I love the details too.

When painting figures I use a dirty paintbrush/thinners to give muted colors. It kills the strong color and I think this gives more realistic effects.

Just my 2 cents

LarryW

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 09:23:55 am »

hi good tip i do the same its a thing we used to do at art sc hool just using 1 brush wiped on cloth to get distresed look , on building s and objects ,
   i use this a lot to dirty up my tugs and fishing boats .  :-) larry

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 08:06:02 pm »

Kiwi
No rush but if you've got a time could you send me a plan.
Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

kiwi

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2010, 12:02:09 am »

Hi Jimmy,
sorry been having trouble downloading.
Have sent them to Martin for forwarding on to yourself.
Hope you get them soon
cheers
kiwi

LarryW

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2010, 09:53:37 am »

hi there jimmy the plan is mmi November issue , tells you what you want , take it to any photo copy shop and will do the rest.
 i have a copy on A3  if this will help......... Larry.

LarryW

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 08:20:28 pm »

HI THERE paint going on, pi cs of the build so far to cold in work shed ,. heater broke , will start rigging and dead eyes when i the info :-))...LARRY

kiwi

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2010, 08:04:36 pm »

Hi Jimmy,
Martin has very kindly sent the PDF of the "Black Rose" plans onto you.
I can't load them via the forum, so emailed them to Martin.
Hope they arrived ok, and haven't gone 'walkabout' in the internet as some of mine have done in the past. Have had the odd email which simply vanished into the ether.
cheers
HarryD

LarryW

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2010, 08:17:53 pm »

hi kiwi nice to seeback on line ,are updates ready ? working on dead eyes and rigging now bought dead eyes at local model shop,
but a  job threading them on my 20th attempt trying to make up a jig got any tips?..... {:-{ using shearing thread as suggested .......cheers LARRY.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2010, 08:54:05 pm »

Kiwi, Larry and DE rest of DE mob
 Thanks gang I got the plans --- I shall probably have a go at her in the mid new year... I've got a lot on my plate at the moment so can't get started right away...
This hull looks a bit slippery and I think she should be pretty fast in a 16th century sort of way.  But I think personally I shall lose the mizzen top sail in favour of a settee lateen and make the main and fore topsail yards a bit narrower like this

This model has a lot of potential  and should be fun to sail.....
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2010, 09:01:09 pm »

The above posted picture is an unfinished model of Firedrake with a scrap set of test canvas , She is a little larger than the Rose
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2010, 09:53:49 pm »

Larry I rig my dead eyes like this  and usually use 1mm braided waxed line--- if I use shop bought dead eyes I redrill the holes to 1.5mm I allways think the shop ones are too small ---But ---thats me all over---differnt ships different long splices ....I could never get on with jigs (Hands to big brain too small) so I rig mine the way I did it aboard ship fitted the deadeyes and then rove off the lanyards that way I could get the lanyards tight ...a good tip when doing any rigging is to thread it through a needle or at least stiffen the end with glue
Jimmy

Kings Lynn

kiwi

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2010, 12:40:16 am »

Hi Larry & Jimmy,
Haven't had a chance to work on my "Black Rose", or do any further drawing, and it will stay that way until further into the new year. Just to much on at the moment, unfortunately.
I do my deadeyes similar to Jimmy, except that I use sheering elastic to thread them, which gives a bit of tension and also a bit of give if knocked.
The shrouds/stays (correct me if I=that's not what they are called, but the wire/rope from the top deadeye to the mast), I use black linen thread. This is about the same diameter at the sheering elastic.
I did try making the stays out of sheering elasic but over time they sag a bit.
I made my own deadeyes (punched from two different thicknesses of card thinner for the outer parts and a thicker inner piece. I drill the 3 holes at least 1mm dia and apply a bit of glue to the end of the thread to form a sort of needle to the end of the fhread.
One difference to how Jimmy does it (his is the correct way), is to put a cleat on the niboard side of the bulwarks, just above the deack and hitch all the deadeye lacing to these. Then they can be tightened up as needed. I also have a couple of pairs of tweezers hand as my large fingers keep getting in the way.
Jimmy, I think you could be right re the aft mast sails, and like your sail set on the Fire Drake, very nice boat.
With the "Black Rose" I encourage everyone to use their imagination and do their own thing to make it "Their Boat", as long as everyone posts plenty of photos, please.
cheers
HarryD

LarryW

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2010, 04:14:13 pm »

hi jimmy your the man thanks for info drawing ,it helped alot this my first attempt at multi sail ,i am complete beginner to .model boating
you no your stuff on multi sail oldy world ships. by the  way  did you get get your copy of black rose if not i have copy if you need it . :-)) LARRY.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2010, 07:44:25 pm »

Thanks Larry , I have a copy
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2010, 09:08:12 pm »

Larry you saw the pictures of the cannon I use ...they are normal model brass guns or carrionads .. I bore them out to 4mm and then bore a 2nd x 1.5mm hole in the breach of the gun (as the gun has virtually no pressure on it when fired you don't need a heavy weight of metal also there is no recoil) in UK you can buy party poppers in most super markets ...To charge the guns i stick a bit of fuse wire through the breach and pick up the firing string on the popper the gun is then put in position and the firing cord (or cords) are attached to a servo ... when the servo is activated it pull the string ... for more smoke put a bit of talc down the muzzle
 For more modern turret guns use 4mm brass tube ,cap the end and drill a 1.5mm hole in the breach Turrets with 2 or 3 guns in them should have the firing cords slightly different lengths ...the same applies if you are firing broad sides
Jimmy

Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2010, 12:16:47 pm »

hi more pics frigging with rigging and great cabin moving to yard arm nest , hope this goes well dead eyes and rigging was hard......Larry {:-{

triumphjon

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2010, 03:56:33 pm »

are you leaving your model with the masts and rigging in place all of the time ?

LarryW

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2010, 04:32:40 pm »

hi yes it will be on show in dinning room  when not sailing if it sails ,  ... larry .
        PS. :-) will start the narrow boat in the new year when the weather gets better ....... O0

triumphjon

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2010, 04:45:55 pm »

i was wondering how the narrowboat was progressing , now i know ! just wondred weather you were leaving your black rose rigged at all times , but as its going to sit on display it will . are you just relying on sail power or have you fitted a motor for assistance , there are a couple of lakes in your part of the world that your not able to wade into should the model get becalmed !
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.