Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: the black rose  (Read 36488 times)

LarryW

the black rose
« on: November 16, 2010, 02:59:10 pm »

hi all just started to build the fun build of the pirete ship black rose from  mmi plan
 looking to puting rc  any body doing the same build?........larry :-)

kiwi

Re: the black rose
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 06:25:31 pm »

Hi Larry,
Good to see you intend to build the "Black Rose" as r/c. May there be a whole fleet soon in existence around the world.
I have started to convert the prototype "Black Rose" (yes the one in the MMI article) to r/c. Fortunately r/c was always planned so access and other bits where built in from the start. Just awaiting for the receiver to arrive, and in the meantime have done some alterations to the sails. Have moved the lower mainsail forward to replace the forward lower sail. Will make a new quite larger mainsail. Also be adding wee LED lanterns to the cabin and deck areas. She now sports her  figurehead which is missing from the photos in MMI.
Hope you enjoy your build as much as I did, and please post photos.
cheers
kiwi

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 07:08:36 pm »

Any chance of some photos ----I rebuilt the toy Pirate ship Kings Ransom as a 16th Century Barque rigged Priveteer ---[Know Named Fire Drake], Photos are posted in the thread "Briganteen Freebooter"  under Yachts and Sail R & D
Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 07:58:40 pm »

hi me again pleased to a reply from you kiwi,aim new to model building if you call 74 years new its the first time i have tackled multi sail , i
  am member of clevendon mbc so i will get some good help from my fellow members .
 photos will be posted soon, just finished the hull bit now working the deck structure ,looking for more pictures on what goes where ,
 guns are built and ready for action <*<  cheers me Arte's aarrre Larry

LarryW

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 08:37:07 pm »

GUNS  AND OTHER  BITS......

kiwi

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 11:42:07 pm »

Hi,
Nicely made guns and other bits Larry. And Jimmy your builds are all for us mere mortals, to aspire to. Love them all.
Some deck photos of my "Black Rose" to follow. But remember, the plans are just a guide, you all "do your own thing with imagination working overtime".
Keep them photos coming all who are building BR.
cheers
kiwi

kiwi

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 11:45:44 pm »

main deck

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 08:12:11 pm »

Looks like an inspiring model.  O0 I shall watch this thread with great interest
 :-))
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 06:02:08 am »

hi all just started to build the fun build of the pirete ship black rose from  mmi plan
 looking to puting rc  any body doing the same build?........larry :-)

What issue was it.

My Wife wants me to build her an RC model of the black pearl so it could be a good starting point
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

kiwi

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 06:36:35 am »

Hi,
MMI November 2010
Reduced size drawings are the centre spread, and full size prints are available from MMI.
Enlarging ratio if you wish to is on the contents page.
Remember to post photos should you build your version of her.
cheers
kiwi

LarryW

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 02:32:02 pm »

hi heres my build so far, planking decks now ....coffee stirrers   also rc access under grid deck ,rudder servo under capstan ,Hull conjunction  is a mix of card mount and balsa, plan is in November mmi ,i photo copied on to a3 then up to 24in , any good photocopy shop will do it for you . get a few copy's of bulkheads to make templates ,stick on to card ,i do this on all my builds , and knock up card model ,.....
 it help see what it sort looks like ,and being new modeling ican mock up my RC bits ...... hope this helps  :-))cheers Larry

kiwi

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 05:38:03 pm »

Hi Larry,
very nice build, keep up the good work.
One thing I did, which isn't on the plans, or in the text, is to build into the keel, lots of lead shot and ball sinkers, as I didn't want to have any external or extended keel.
On mine, I used 6mm balsa for the keel, drilled rows of holes and glued a couple of shot into each hole. The balls are fishing sinkers about 10mm dia, and similarly glued into place before planking.  Propably a better solition to the larger sinkers I used when I ballasted her down would be lead flashing laid along the inside planking next to the keel.  An alternative would be to actually have a lead bar set into the bottom of the keel.
Mine was all balsa construction, with dowel masts, and a chopstick for bowsprit. The wee boat from card. Use whatever materials and methods suit you.
Well done, looking good
cheers
kiwi

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 07:06:57 pm »

It's a very shapely Hull --- sort of Dutch look in her lines--- Could I ask her dimension's IE: Length, Beam, over all Hight [keel to main truck]
Freebooter
Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 07:09:10 pm »

hi thanks for nice coments, i intend to put a bolt on keel when riged . .......larry

kiwi

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 07:38:16 am »

Hi Jimmy,
lHULL ength between perpendiculars=24"
o/a length=32'
BEAM=8"
O/A HEIGHT=24"
She's not modelled on any particular ship, all pure fantacy but ideas from a number of real ships.
Mark wanted a pirate ship, dark, old, worn and menacing. What he got was "Black Rose". As I had a 2 month time frame to build her, I only did a rough sketch and started building, developing as it went. Didn't meet the deadline by a month, sailed her and then drew the drawings and took the photos. Sort of wanted something between "Flying Dutchman" and "Black Pearl" from "pirates of the Caribbean".
She's simplified and I probably got a whole lot of things wrong, and would welcome any constructive comments re getting it better, from yourself or any other experienced  seamen.
She was designed and built as a fun and easily built model to take down the pond and 'windle'.
Anyone who builds one is encouraged to 'do their thing' and have have fun
Anyone wants to build her, there is of course the centrefold plan, which can be photocopied and I believe prints are available from MMI, and failing that, pm me and I will see you right for a free updated copy.

cheers
kiwi

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 05:52:29 pm »

One thing I did, which isn't on the plans, or in the text, is to build into the keel, lots of lead shot and ball sinkers, as I didn't want to have any external or extended keel.

Are you building your model as R/C sail, or motorised?
The reason I ask is, I took a similar approach with my 1830s merchant schooner (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283165) - internal ballast and no external keel - and found that, whilst the boat was quite stable on the water, it "crabbed" - i.e. got blown sideways by the wind - badly, due to not having sufficient lateral resistance. This is despite having a typically deep and slab-sided 1800s merchant ship hull form. I've since added a removable keel (and rudder extension)  but have not had the chance to test the model with this fitted to see if it gives any improvement in sailing qualities!

If you've successfully used this "internal ballast only" setup before, do you have any tips for getting it to work more effectively?

BTW, I'd definitely be interested in an updated copy of the "Black Rose" plan; it's a very nice looking design that looks like it might have potential for conversion to a (non-piratical!) small merchant or naval galleon from the 16th-early 17th century. I saw the plans at the Warwickshire show but didn't buy them as I wasn't aware at the time it was designed for R/C!

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 08:08:14 pm »

Kiwi
She seams to be close to Fire Drakes size and on her I used two deck capstans.[2 x 100/1 geared motors mounted on the under side of a hatch with the spindle comming up through the deck and the capstan barrel put directly on the spindle]  The forward one controlled the foremast  yards and the spirit sails & spirit top sail [the foreyard was linked to the spirit & spirit topsail yards via a crows foot tackle] The after capstan controlled the main yards [and if needed linked to the mizzen yards As Fire Drake was a Barque not a ship she had no mizzen yards except for the lateen which was self tacking. Check Thread Yachts and Sail R&D    Brigantine Freebooter there are some diagrams and plans, If you need any more info PM me and I will help as much as I can... This is a systime I have used for years... I like it because like a real ship all the rigging is on deck so is easy to repair or modify... also the capstans give loads of power
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 08:55:14 pm »

hi decks planked ,deck accesses  added .rudder next and captains cabin ..........larry

LarryW

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 05:13:30 pm »

hi all looking to press gang a scurvy crew for black rose do you no where ?  <*<larry

triumphjon

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 06:47:42 pm »

car boot sales , charity shops , or the second hand toy shops . ive taken to getting many of my crew from a local second hand toy shop normally only pay around a pound for two or three figures !

kiwi

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 07:03:10 pm »

Hi Larry,
Coming along very nicely.
My crew where around 1/48th scale, and I just used some toy plastic soldiers from the $2 shop (equivalent to your pound shop), and undertook some surgery with the knife, and a bit of paint slapped on. Nothing flash, but look of on the model.
cheers
HarryD

hollowhornbear

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 08:03:02 pm »

I so must build me one of these.  :-)) :-))

kiwi

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 08:09:05 pm »

ps
crew $2 for 60 awaiting surgery

kiwi

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 08:11:14 pm »

ooops
please delete duplicate photo

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 09:03:11 pm »

Hi Kiwi

It is possible to delete yourself WITHIN the first half hour of posting. All you have to do is click on MODIFY and untick the picture in the options below your message.

Of course it's too late by now, so a moderator has to do it.   8)

I'm doing it all the time as I correct my spillin mistakes.   %)

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.