Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: the black rose  (Read 36493 times)

LarryW

Re: the black rose
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2010, 07:59:17 pm »

hi no motor just sail ,only sail clevendon, so bother it as contact all round ,ST George PARK not safe now ,crack alley,   :((....larry.

triumphjon

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2010, 10:03:49 pm »

its become a drug haven for the local numb nuts then ? when i was modelling in bristol i normally used eastville on a sunday afternoon , although ive tried many of the other culb waters around bristol , some of which are quite good for sailing . the "lake " at clevedon (salthouse ) was where i used to test my ic powerboats mid week during the summer evenings when there was water in it ! and long before anybody had thought of having a model club there . there used to be quite a scale gathering at portishead lake which was one morning during the week & a sunday morning , had a good deal of wind off the eastury too . weston on the mud was another good sized pool next to knightstone island but you had to be careful of the tide as it makes the pool into the bristol channel at high water , i know this first hand as it claimed my first spearfish ic boat !  jon

LarryW

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2010, 11:16:27 am »

hi ready to rig haven't a clue" HELP/" {:-{

LarryW

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2010, 11:34:49 am »

hollowhornbear

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2010, 03:07:33 pm »

looking good your sure build quick.  :-))

LarryW

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2010, 03:33:08 pm »

thank you hollowhornbear the weather as helped this time, bit house bound at the moment , also i build a lot with mount board........larry.. O0

triumphjon

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2010, 04:21:29 pm »

thats looking good , what are you stuck with ?

LarryW

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2010, 08:02:21 pm »

hi all thank you for info lots to mullover, but there ,s not a lot room in hull,  :(( there must be a simple way  O0...Larry.

triumphjon

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2010, 08:58:46 pm »

what are you looking for a simple way of solving ?

LarryW

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2010, 09:03:47 pm »

hi Jon sail control is what I'm after ........Larry

triumphjon

« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2010, 09:20:20 pm »

does the plan state weather its a drum winch or a sail arm ? both of my sailing boats use an arm to control my sheets , the 1om has a purpose built sail arm servo whereas my newly built wee nip has a standard servo with a long plywood extension screwed onto the original servo horn ! its fairly cheap AND IT WORKS  .

LarryW

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2010, 10:00:08 pm »

hi Jon no detail on it was built as free sailer so its a open book .....LARRY.

triumphjon

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2010, 10:26:36 pm »

so you have an opening in the deck , with a space in which to fit some control gear ? you need two standard servos , a receiver and a set of receiver batteries , my nip has the two servos on a ply panel inside the hull with the rx &battery pack inside of a small food pot fitted through the deck , ch 1 is rudder control , need as straight a line from the rudder to servo as possible , then my arm for the sail control is about 3 3/4 inch centres and about 4 1/4 inches long . line from the outer end of the arm running towards the stern then up through the deck and back towards the bows / mast (s) you then need to attach this running line to the boom / jib . i use my sail control on a ratcheted stick on my transmitter , this allows easier control of my sail .

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2010, 05:49:07 pm »

Larry
 on my square riggers I like to power the capstans and use them to haul the yards around It's simple, inexpensive and "Almost" Bomb proof  It has the advantage of having all the sheets and braces on deck for easy repair ,maintenance, and or modifications.

For diagrams and directions check Yachts & Sail R & D Thread "Brigantine Freebooter"

Freebooter
Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2010, 07:19:36 pm »

Larry
 So far I have had 5 request for the Black Rose Plans -- {:-{---Looks as if I might be getting some compertition in the Black Flag Trade . O0.. It could be great fun as most of them can hardly sail a Fore & After let alone a square rig  --- {-)---easy prey until they learn how to Tack ,Ware and Heave to --- :-)) ;)---then the skill and experance comes into play
DE Freebooter
Kings Lynn

triumphjon

« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2010, 07:57:36 pm »

ive tried sailing for the first time this year after i bought a seawind as a project , ive no interest in racing more the satisfaction of being able to be propelled around the lake by the elements , ive even managed to sail backwards ! as much as im enjoying seeing the build of the black rose , i dont think im ready yet to tackle a square rigger ?  keep up the good work . jon 

LarryW

« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2010, 10:00:27 am »

hi there jimmy beware of them there fire ships  ,or frustrated multi sailors,
  also thanks for info on crew members  :-))  LARRY..

LarryW

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2010, 08:39:37 pm »

hi  all ,got fed up with rigging , waiting for sail maker to stitch sails,,her in doors to busy ,a ..Christmas thing.. :kiss:.
 so went and got anew crew together . and starting knock  them  into shape. <*<
 knife and hot solder iron, coming on soon ready for paint job... O0 LARRY

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2010, 08:55:16 pm »

No Worries
 I'm a master gunner (Ex G.I. in Navel terms) As well as being a Master Mariner . I shot across the bow ... The next is a rolling broad side
Jimmy
De Freebooter
Kings Lynn

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2010, 11:13:05 pm »

For Larry

From where did you get your crew  and what's approximate scale (height of figure will be fine)?

Jimmy James (Freebooter) kindly got me a set of pre-painted pirates for my soon to be completed 1:32 scale square rigger, HMS Thames, though  a Press Gang would welcome an alternative source of manpower to plunder should a  relief crew be required.

Regards,

Popeye
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2010, 01:10:59 am »

Ah !!! Popeye
  That pretty little Brig of yours ready to take to the Briny is she :-)) ...Make a smashing Prize for old Freebooter she will  ... %)... mind you...I'll have to chop a few holes in the bulwarks and chuck those pitifully 4 pounders over the wall and mount some some nice l12 pounder carronaids and a long 9 before shes fit for my trade  {-)(sorry getting a bit ahead of my self ) But I do like's a good Prize taking ...It do warm the cockles of Me old heart... Ah!!! the smell of burnt powder ... and the screams and splashies of the... Oops!!! Crew of ..course the crew having    a  ... Wash... of course having a wash under the wash deck hose  :embarrassed: after a hard days work
Oh!!! Aye !!! I'll be a looking out for ye Master Popeye ...indeed I will ...Just to wish you well of course... Mmmmm!!!  {:-{ Must check with the bos'n to see if he got those new  powder barrels
De Freebooter
Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2010, 08:59:34 am »

hi popeye .crew are a bag plastic soldiers from pound shop apros , 2in ....50mm   cut and shut and mould with solder iron ,see pi-cs,........LARRY.

LarryW

« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2010, 09:58:03 am »

hi not the best picture ,but give you some idea . :-))LARRY..

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2010, 10:04:53 am »

For Larry.. thanks for info, will have to look in Santa's Grotto.

For Freebooter I'm surprised you'd waste powder 'n shot on a virtually defenceless former Deptford yard transport. Mind you, you'd have to be quick off the mark Cox under my previous name , HMS Supply, I was so fast that I was appointed Flagship to the first convict fleet to sail to Australia and furthermore, my crew were amongst the first Poms to settle in Australia - which is more than can be said for your bunch of bilge rats. So there Sailor, stick that in your pork barrel and chew on it!!!!

Seriously, HMS Thames is only waiting sails and attendant running rigging to be hung after which will come the real challenge - learning from you how to sail  the brig correctly. Not too early in the New Year though ,as I'm not as hardy as an old Salt like you!!!
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

kiwi

« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2010, 10:08:40 am »

Larry,
Those crew are fantastic, well done
kiwi
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 23 queries.