Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: the black rose  (Read 36494 times)

LarryW

Re: the black rose
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2010, 10:13:36 am »

THATS, OK POPEYE, bye the nice build of brig , whats its, history ?, i only started to build this type of model being a biginner at 75 love to get your standard  :-))LARRY,

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2010, 09:09:13 pm »

Roger
Typical Brass Bounder ---AA- Hoy there sailor :embarrassed: if you teach me how to sail   {-) I'll let you chase me  %)  ( Hello--- wheres me Tigers Head ----Bout 4 foot from Is tail)   
 Ahhh! well ...De tings I dose to earn an honest crust  Still I suppose it's only sporting ...See you in the new year... Mm-mm!!!  {:-{  I'm sure he said that last year???
 Have a Happy Yule Tide
 De Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

LarryW

« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2010, 08:02:58 pm »

hi kiwi ,thank you for help and comments on black rose ,and ,...may i wish you and your family a "HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR" from my wife and i ..cheers LARRY W .. :-).

LarryW

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2011, 04:17:39 pm »

HI ALL , fitted sails to black rose today , after struggle with sewing machine {:-{ now lacking one black shirt  old MS 6 years old ,
 all got to now make them work {-).... and hide the the off cuts  from her in doors, and service the singer  ;)....  LARRY W ....

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2011, 06:13:07 pm »

Looking good Larry
 You'll have to post pix of her sailling
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

triumphjon

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2011, 06:30:25 pm »

so when are you going to launch her ? do we need to warn all in the bristol chanel of imminent pirates ! !

LarryW

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2011, 06:38:28 pm »

thanks for comments,  launch will be soon as i sort out rigging bits ,  :(( i have main mast on a pivot bush like rudder control ,
 so all yard arms will be linked to this ,so trails will be on going  :-)) Larry .

LarryW

« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2011, 10:58:15 am »

good morning all , put a rough sketch of sail movement rig a bit confused , but i will give it a try , comments please/........  {:-{..LARRY

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2011, 12:35:55 pm »

Hi Larry.

Main and mizzen masts can turn together, but fore mast should turn independently. This will allow you to tack.

I cannot remember the sequence as I am not a square rig sailor, but someone will pipe up.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2011, 01:05:16 pm »

Hi Larry

I think it goes like this for a 3 master

Swinging the yards on the foremast last will help the wind to bring her head around.
Then set

Mark

LarryW

« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2011, 01:28:54 pm »

THANKS TIGER ,you can see what i am up gen-st, its all a black art to me idont under stand sail bits , but i am geting there ; the past year as seen 4 no footys  hit the scrap box. :((

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2011, 01:35:18 pm »

I can recommended a good book

An Introduction to Radio Controlled Scale Sailing Models by Phillip Vaughan Williams.

Price is 12.95 from Traplet.com

It does square riggers and fore-aft rigged boats as well. The stuff for the fore-aft rigged boats is applicable to modern rigged sail boats like the footys.

LarryW

« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2011, 01:45:20 pm »

THANK YOU, i will  have a look at that when i get my next pension, i am only allowed to have a £20m a month modeling fund ,says her in doors >>:-( lLARRY.. ;)

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2011, 08:17:34 pm »

I have never tried sailing with the the mast on a pivot and doing the work of a winch but I understand that a lot of Americans use that method. I will be really  interested to find out how it works --- How do you get on with stays and shrouds???
Watching with intrest
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2011, 09:11:16 am »

Tigertiger, You want to keep main and mizzen mast braced on the original tack as long as possible, avoiding to getting the sails aback! If you do it as shown in your drawing she will stop and start sailing backwards with a will in no time short ;)

Tacking my square riggers i found this to be the proper sequence:
note: tacking works best in steady wind conditions, gusty and flukey winds or chancging directions can make tacking a very frustrating exercise ;).. leave yourself searoom to wear instead if you miss stays which is very important approaching an inaccessible part of the pond / lake

1) from close hauled fall off a point or so to gain speed
2) If you have, haul the spanker (F&A sail on the mizzen) sheet tight
3) smoothly apply rudder to head up into the wind
heading up will be aided by slightly squareing the foremast brace,  just enough to spill the wind without getting the sail aback, you then keep the angle of the fore brace relative to the wind untill it`s braced up fully again
4)With the ship heading into the eye of the wind, change the main and mizzen braces to the other tack (here timing is everything too early will kill your speed, too late too :))
5) ease the spanker sheet (to  allow the head to fall off)
6)if you have had enough speed and momentum the ship will keep a bit of forward speed and the head should start to pay off on the new tack, just before reaching the desired angle swing the foremast brace to the new tack and tad of counter rudder to prevent her falling off too far.
If you were slow to start with or the winds are too strong you might start to develop sternway with the head of the ship pointing into the wind and most of her sails aback (square riggers can sail shockingly fast backwards) If you start going backwards you need to reverse rudder to get your head to fall off on the correct side!

Tacking a square rigger is a bit of an art, definitely nothing like tacking a modern sloop. However once you got a hang of the technique you will be able to tack nearly all the time, i say nearly because even with the best technique you will miss stays 1 out of 10 times. If the wind is too strong for the given sail area, tacking might get near on impossible, so start to reef down or reduce sail early. With the right amount of sail a square rigger will be still sailing on the pond when most other folks are packing up their gear already :) and it will be fun too

There is a Video of Brooks Martins Brigantine tacking in relatively strong winds:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=2805135&d=1255023735

One in low winds:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=2737651&d=1252162641

My Brig Somers tacking in relatively high winds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSR8k_XcnA4

and one in low winds too..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg-pzQ2UGQg

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2011, 09:27:02 am »

Thx Meatbomber  :-))

LarryW

« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2011, 09:02:53 pm »

hi better now after more lead on keel    larry w .

triumphjon

« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2011, 09:44:03 pm »

have the pirates gone to vicky park or st georges  ?water  looks a little green ! nice to see your sailing her

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2011, 02:38:39 pm »

Just tell the bos'n to start those idlers in the wast The touch of a starter keeps them keen
Freebooter
Kings Lynn

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2017, 07:44:26 pm »

I know this is an old thread but thanks for the info I just got these plans and want to enlarge them to a 72" overall length for R/C and this will be most helpful

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2017, 10:25:47 am »

As this thread is now over 6 years old, it might be a good idea to start a new thread for your build .

We would all like to see some updates as it's an interesting ship.

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.