Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What propshaft angle! Advice please..  (Read 5854 times)

Paul R

• Full Mayhemer
What propshaft angle! Advice please..
« on: November 16, 2010, 11:06:05 pm »

Hi... I'm importing a riva style wooden model boat via ebay from vietnam, youv'e seen the ones. Its a planing hull not fitted for RC although the boat is ready to take RC conversion. What I need is some advice on installing  the propshaft. Model is 26" in length and I'm wondering what angle to install the propshaft at in relation to the bottom of the hull?? The boat is a riva aquarama.  Any other advice on rc installation would be welcome.

Thanks

Brian Adley

Re: What propshaft angle! Advice please..
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:19:27 am »

Hi Paul,  I am not an expert, but I would say the flatter (more horizontal) the better from a thrust point of view.  In a boat such as a tug (speedboats may be different for various reasons like forcing the noze down etc) you want as much of the thrust to act horizontally as possible to get as much efficiency as possible out of the available thrust from the propeller.  This means that your motor must be as low as possible, or you must use an offset drive by gears or belt. They also have a drive called a "z-peller" I think, which is a steerable offset drive.  Hope this helps.
Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 12:08:39 pm »

Get advice on flex-drive systems from people like Astec.  This system can give a parallel to bottom of hull drive.
..well can you land on this?

Tutssy

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 03:24:39 pm »

Why not take a look at the Riva web site & maybe email them.  I would have thought that if anyone should know all the angles, they should.

Al

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:00:24 pm »

Hmmm, do you mean Riva full size ?   Some things don`t work at model sizes as they do on full-size.
..well can you land on this?

Brian Adley

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 11:41:43 am »

I believe Graupner or Robbe make Z drives.
Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.