Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sheerline Akula  (Read 30999 times)

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sheerline Akula
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2011, 06:45:34 pm »

First sailing today only one photograph

then she promptly sank dont know why but she did. Thanks to the guys at New Brighton pool who had a rope with hooks on the end. I had the sub on the end of the rope at least twice, when the sub surficed all by herself
even without an input from the radio which was turned off anyway.
anyway very eventful first time out sub recoverd and seems none the worse all dry, all working, is a bit of a puzzle but but sub safe now will try again once I get over this man flu

Hi.
If i might offer some advice if the boat does not come up again please do not turn the transmitter off as this may send the boat off on its own as the problem may not be the signal getting through if you do this and the speedo doesnt shut down then you will loose the boat as it will go off in any direction that it wants. ALWAYS ALWAYS do a static test dive on EVERY visit to the pond  at the poolside within arms reach to ensure all is well and ensure that the speedo you have chosen will shut down when signal is lost. And ALWAYS fit a failsafe. if you have lost signal then the failsafe will kick in anyway as will the speedo failsafe. without turning the tranny off but if its not then it may well go as above unless the above has been done.

regards. sub.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2011, 08:51:07 am »

Thanks for the response Sub driver failsaif is on its way along with a leveler. As this was the first time at the pond all test were done at the side if the pond including a first time static dive to about 6" below the surface with all forward,reverse, rudder ops and dive surface ops checked radio was turned off for approx 30 second the turned back on approx 40 mins in total sub surfaced by itself more or less where it had been put in the pond. thinking about it now it is possible that their was radio interferance at the pond as this has happend before with my U47 persons turning radios on without checking or looking for flag numbers

Regards Mark

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2011, 12:45:43 pm »

hi mark. that is exactly why you shoulnt turn  your tx off. if its underwater 30 secs is a long time for your sub to travel whilst under someone elses signal into gawd knows what.  regards sub.

getemuphigh

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2011, 01:36:35 pm »

Hi.
If i might offer some advice if the boat does not come up again please do not turn the transmitter off as this may send the boat off on its own as the problem may not be the signal getting through if you do this and the speedo doesnt shut down then you will loose the boat as it will go off in any direction that it wants. ALWAYS ALWAYS do a static test dive on EVERY visit to the pond  at the poolside within arms reach to ensure all is well and ensure that the speedo you have chosen will shut down when signal is lost. And ALWAYS fit a failsafe. if you have lost signal then the failsafe will kick in anyway as will the speedo failsafe. without turning the tranny off but if its not then it may well go as above unless the above has been done.

regards. sub.

Wise words that I was shown to do by sub driver and saved my Vanguard, failsave fitted and tests done every time.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2011, 02:01:56 pm »

I know I shouldn`t turn the Tx off before the Rx but desperate times desperate measures apart from going for a wade in freezing cold water they was not a lot more to do. Anyway all turned out fine in the end cost me a bit of cash which yes I conceade I should have spent in the first place (for a failsafe). I will be trying again this weekend either at New Brighton or Hoylake. getting myself a long line with some big hooks on it just in case  O0 hopefully all will work well pictures and video to follow..........

Regards Mark.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2011, 04:19:23 pm »

just a thought if the two ponds are not that deep try fastening some line around the wtc up through a hole in the top hull with a small fishing float attached to it then if you get into trouble and until the bugs are sorted and its all running reliably you will be able to find the boat from the float and pull the line and up she comes. fishing line is thin but very strong.. just a thought.. happy sailings.. sub.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2011, 04:24:34 pm »

good idea sub driver will be doing that  :-)) but only as a temp measure until the bugs are ironed out. not good to advertise position of sub with targets about  {-)

Regards Mark

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2011, 04:30:01 pm »

yeah know what ya mean.. skimmers are a pain you can always tell them you have raised the communications bouy..... :}

thegrimreaper

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2011, 05:08:53 pm »

That sounds like a good yarn will give it a try. I am going to try and make the next sail in you guys are having in Feb so I may be able to pick up a few more tips then like should I have my bow a stern planes on a y lead or operate them seperatly??

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2011, 06:33:51 pm »

Separate is better.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2011, 07:29:42 pm »

O.K. but why could you explain in simple terms that is

Regards Mark.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2011, 08:09:38 pm »

In a model sub with independent for and aft planes, rear planes are used to contol pitch (with a pitch Controller fitted) and fore planes are used to control depth. Leave the Rear planes to be controlled automacially by the picth controller and just play with the fore. For planes work best at slower speed. Even on my subs with working from planes I, I dont bother with controlling then, just let the pitch controller work the rear and overide via the transmitter as needed.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2011, 08:45:47 pm »

i do the same as mankster most my subs have  the front planes locked off and do the same as m
ankster.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2011, 08:42:11 am »

Dare I raise the question of sail mounted foreplanes on modern boats?

My new LA class has high mounted forward planes, right up on the sail...so what's the best plan with that setup? I can make them operational if needs be without too much trouble, but I'm wondering if it's worth it? I guess they would have an effect once the boat is submerged, although having said that, my SLEC/Engel Patrick Henry had fixed sail mounted foreplanes, and she'd run all day at periscope depth without so much as a twitch.

What do you reckon Ramesh/Sub...make them operational on a separate channel and leave the leveller to take care of the rear planes?

Rich

thegrimreaper

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2011, 09:33:47 am »

Thanks for the explanation Mankster will do away with my y lead then and when my leveler gets here conect it to the rear planes

Regards Mark.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2011, 12:09:05 pm »

Richard, I'd leave them fixed or move them to the bow (and call it a Flight III LA Class) if you want to make them operational.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2011, 12:25:05 pm »

Thanks Ramesh...I may just move them down to the bow section.

Rich

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2011, 01:38:14 pm »

hi rich its a bit of a faff getting the sail mounted planes to work. it can be done with belcranks etc but imo not worth it. as ramesh says the " improved class " of la subs had the planes mounted on the bow . this made them more ice friendly too. its personal choice if you want them functional but then you will have another hole in the wtc to look after and ensure water integrity.. regards sub.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2011, 04:11:29 pm »

Good point Sub..maybe I'll just leave things as they are for the time being, I've never bothered before with the things.

Cheers,

Rich

thegrimreaper

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2011, 04:41:20 pm »

Ok was at the pond today got a few pictures and a bit of video will put the pics on here video will be on youtube later had a good run with the sub but guess what this week she didnt want to submerge couldn`t find out why at the pond side but when we got home I found the problem after 15 mins of head scratching I had inadvertantly caught a toggle switch on the top of the radio which turns off the channel I am using for diving the boat. although the radio is on the 40Mhz band it still has switches on it labled as ail gear and flaps will be removing the offending switch and tucking it away inside the radio housing. Got me to thinking maybe this was the problem last time out switch turnes off no control of that channel sub stays down...... ah well now on to the pics

All pictures courtesy of the wife

Patrick Henry

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2011, 06:26:14 pm »

She looks good Mark, real good. You wait until I get my LA done...shame it's such a long way up to your lake, we could have had our own Crimson Tide remake!

Rich

thegrimreaper

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2011, 07:37:56 pm »

Ok Video now up at You tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2as3JS00dY

Regards Mark

gyronuts

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2011, 03:11:17 pm »

sailed mine at Norwich last saturday. very pleased. White band is a large elastic band but it makes the sub easier to see underwater.
I do not have a leveller fitted and the front planes operate off a rotating knob so only for trim.Bill

gyronuts

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2011, 08:20:42 pm »

Oh Oh.  found a small amount of water in the front compartment. Must recheck the seals!! Bill

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2011, 08:52:55 am »

Hi Bill.
At arrival at the pond, make sure you put a couple of bike pump's of air in the unit before sailing, it'll show up any leaks as air bubbles when you put the boat in the water. You may find you need to give the dive unit retaining nuts a slight tweak as the end cap seals may have settled, it's usual practice to re-check them after a short while with a new build.
Regards.
Chris
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.