Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio control  (Read 3144 times)

apl0805

Radio control
« on: February 11, 2007, 07:08:30 pm »

HI everyone, I need some advice... I have been given a model boat and am having alot of fun doing it up, but the boat only responds to the radio control when someone is touching the ariel! What is set up wrong? Please help someone who is just getting into modelling.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Radio control
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 07:35:17 pm »

Hi there,

this reminds me of our old 'valve' television set back in years gone by - when I was a kid!!

On a serious note, could you tell us what the make is of your radio set and what frequency range i.e. 27 mgz or 40 mgz??

Aye
John E
Bluebird

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

apl0805

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 08:46:03 pm »

There is no indication of the maker anywhere, but the frequency is 27mgz. And yes had a tv like that when I was a kid... But somehow I don't think that wading through the water after the boat with my hand outstretched is gonna be much fun..  :D.  Thanks

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 09:47:52 pm »

Sounds like you need a 5 foot ten  Ariel ...    :D

Seriously though, I would suspect a fault close to the wiring here. Either you are conducting it to ground or else the length of the Ariel is wrong.

Cheer...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 10:59:51 pm »

Sounds like the story of the woman with the telepathic dog.....

Woman reported a problem with her phone to the phone company - it wouldn't ring on an incoming call. But she said not to rush as her dog was telepathic and barked everytime someone was calling her.  Though she said if she took a long time to answer it did sometimes ring.

Turned out it was a faulty earth - the dog was chained to the telegraph pole. Everytime the phone rang, the 100V ringing pulses were electrocuting the dog causing it to bark in distress. If she didn't answer for a while, the dog got so distressed it urinated. The salty water remade the faulty earth and the phone began to ring again.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:43:34 am »

I would suggest taking a close look at the wiring of the aerial/antenna.  Is it really connected to anything it's supposed to be connected to, not just wadded up inside the boat somewhere?  Wadding it up, or coiling it up isn't exactly the best thing you can do with it.  Not knowing anything about your boat, how it's laid out, no idea how to run the aerial/antenna.
 - 'Doc

As an absolute last resort you can do what the dog did, I guess.  I don't mean the barking, but then, that probably couldn't hurt either.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 12:18:16 pm »

Another point is - Is the transmitter working properly?  I assume that the battery charge indicator is showing a full charge, but is the aerial connected/fully extended?  Even if these are true, it still doesn't mean that a full signal is being sent.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

apl0805

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 04:44:16 pm »

Thank you all so much for the help and advice, and the dog story...... I will be going over the entire thing tonight/ tomorrow and will take in all your advice. After that all I'll need (hopefully) is some decent weather so I can try it out, so I guess I will be waiting a while.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 22 queries.