Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting People interested  (Read 9491 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Getting People interested
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 11:56:24 pm »

It is the same in OZ.........we now have "Mechatronics" university degree cadetships working in our steel industry...1/2 mechanical....& the other 1/2 electronic....... %%

The system that introduced this suggests that these people will be multi skilled in both electronic & mechanical fields.......a more sinister view is that they will only be 1/2 skilled in any respective field >:-o :(( O0

Please don't read me the wrong way  >>:-( these 18 year olds are technically & mathematically smart.....but are they the same one's that just missed out on medicine or a jet fighter vocation @ university?

Who will chisel...then draw file the cast iron block & then use Prussian blue to check it for flatness?????????????????????? ...Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 11:19:14 am »

i was in a shop recently when a younger member of the comunity visited complaining he couldnt cut his 1/8th ply to make his model , when i looked at his chosen j hacksaw there werent any teeth on the blade
Safety.  :-))
It is the same in OZ.........we now have "Mechatronics" university degree cadetships working in our steel industry...1/2 mechanical....& the other 1/2 electronic.......

The system that introduced this suggests that these people will be multi skilled in both electronic & mechanical fields.......a more sinister view is that they will only be 1/2 skilled in any respective field
are they the same one's that just missed out on medicine or a jet fighter vocation @ university?
Nothing sinister there, it will produce a combination that will give huge advantages to whoever has the sense to employ them.  Having a range of skills at a useful and usable level is better than being a one trick pony.  I know a couple of well qualified medical people who I wouldn't fully trust to change a light bulb, or at least, not the right one.  A screwdriver should not be an arcane mystery, apart from the Yankee, but the HSE people, in trying to place a thick layer of padding around everybody, regardless of their abilities, potential and otherwise, are doing nobody any favours.
At shows (wandering back to the original topic) I feel that there should be room for boats that just give their owners pleasure - yes there is an important place for displaying skill and excellence, but newcomers should also be shown that there is no need to start with the ultimate, and that models that are quite basic can give a great deal of pleasure to the owner, and, hopefully, builder.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 11:49:14 am »

[quote author=malcolmfrary link
At shows (wandering back to the original topic) I feel that there should be room for boats that just give their owners pleasure - yes there is an important place for displaying skill and excellence, but newcomers should also be shown that there is no need to start with the ultimate, and that models that are quite basic can give a great deal of pleasure to the owner, and, hopefully, builder.
[/quote]

And that's it in a nutshell,  O0 O0 O0 :-)) :-)) :-))

BrianCartwright

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 03:34:24 pm »

I went to Warwick model boat show last Saturday.
When I looked over the balcony whilst having a cup of tea there was a sea of grey and varying shades of pink.confirming the fact that most boaters are are twirlis (Too earley to use the bus pass for you youngsters under 60)
The quality and variation of the models is awe inspiring.If Brittain wants an export this surely would fit that criteria.
I would like to be a fly on the wall in50 years time and see what has been happening to the hobby.
It seems to me that with very few youngsters coming along we might see the demise of the hobby along withe many other pastimes.

regards Brian

Nordsee

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 04:32:01 pm »

Those educational values are present here in the US, dread to think what the Uk is like for its Education nowadays, not to boast but you find that 'most' inventions of modern time are created this side of the world or in Japan, doubt its a matter of intelligence but the educational values taught. (sort your government out, here its 4 year terms to a max of 8 so its not so hard to change all the mistakes of other parties)

Go back to basics? my son is doing shop class (he's 15) no doubt if you asked a 15 year old from the uk how a lathe works or how do you use a hand saw or how do you use a mig/spot welder he will shrug.

Then he would say" Whatever!" and go back to Texting his friend who he left 2 minutes before...

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2010, 05:24:15 pm »

sort your government out, here its 4 year terms to a max of 8 so its not so hard to change all the mistakes of other parties
Its not a function of government - one lot doesn't want to pay for it and does its utmost to alienate the teaching profession, the other lot are stuck with ideology that hates improvement, thus does its best to stop anybody learning anything useful.  This has been the case for the last couple of generations, so both sides have had a chance to get it right, but both would rather pay some well spoken BS merchant to SAY that everything is working properly than actually do the job.
Short term plans are by their nature unable to give long term benefits, since if they mean a bit of short term pain, the other lot get in to "fix" it, leave the pain and avoid the benefit, on the principal that he who makes the most noise and has the best parade, wins.  Thinking about it, the same applies in a non-fixed term system, the main difference is that the politicians involved don't know exactly how long they have to cover their misdeeds.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 11:43:32 pm »

It seems to me that with very few youngsters coming along we might see the demise of the hobby along withe many other pastimes.

Advert alert!

Now is the time to think about downloading some of those EeZeBilt plans, cut the shapes out from a balsa sheet, make up a tin prop and give them to the kids in your family with a 30p motor as a Christmas present. Must be cheaper than buying one from Ebay at £50....

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2010, 12:36:08 am »

The basic hand tools have changed remarkably little for many centuries and widespread skill in their use produced much craftsmanship but very little technical advance or invention until the beginning of what we now call the Industrial Revolution which started only two hundred odd years ago. Compulsory woodwork/metalwork school classes might double club membership in ten years time but I'm not convinced when I look at all the other leisure choices available.
The majority of youngsters today probably have far greater manual and mental dexterity than their parents, thanks to the puter and spend considerable amounts of time etc. acquiring it. The real startup cost for a beginner to put a reasonable sized electric model boat kit finished and sailing  on the pond is  likely to be £300 - £600+.............. and supposes Mayhem type support?  

kiwi

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2010, 01:32:25 am »

The responsibility of bringing up kids sits squarely on the parents, and to a certain extent on the grandparents. Introduce kids (with hands on, not just stand and watch) should start at an early age. Most I know in the hobby started their first build around 7 or 8 years of age. but had toys/models built for them before that, by parent or grand parent.
How many of you out there take their grand kids of that age (or their own kids) to shows or the local club. Dodgy Geezer has it right, do what he says and download, print off, grab some balsa, tin of paint, a brush, some glue and a craft knife, parcel them up and give them to your kids and/or grand kids. (All for a few dollars/pounds). Its up to you to see the hobby continue, your responsibility to pass on the interest. A seven year old doesn't need r/c and all the gubbins, save that for their 2nd or 3rd boat, even donate your old 27 or whatever crystal r/s gear as you mostly now use 2.4Mhz sets. That's why with my footy-scow drawings (vailable free from DG's web-site as 50+ wee boats) I list all the various fittings which can be bought from the local craft shop (or pound/dollar shop) for very little and still they look the part. No need for expensive purpose made fittings until later builds. Encourage them to think laterally, and be creative. You maybe surprised just how creative some kids can be today.
Start them off small, and see the look of pleasure and achievement on their faces when THEIR boat actually navigates the local pond. They will always want something better, so let them progress to bigger and better things slowly with each build. Some will drop out, maybe to return later in life, others will move sideways into RTR boats and enjoy them. They will all go their different paths , some within, some without the hobby, BUT its upto you to take the first steps.
Or is my faith in fellow modellers misplaced and they really don't want to take on the responsibility as is so common with humanity today. All for self, and no responsibility for anything, then moan like hell because the govt isn't doing anything.
Everyone gets the govt they deserve, your choice.
The hobby lives or dies due to the attitudes and actions of its members.
Ok, rant over, just my two bob's worth, and no correspondence will be entered into, as they say.
Here's to the future of our hobby
cheers
kiwi

kiwi

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2010, 10:00:01 am »

Hi All,
Check this out. seems someone has the right idea, and it worked for them.
How many other clubs around the world could do something similar, give it a go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKcvWn8FjsQ

cheers
kiwi

knoby

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2010, 10:13:45 am »

How to get people interested was the original question. Reading this thread it kind of answerers itself, a few suggested possible routes to take, but the majority just blamed the government. i do wonder how many reading this thread have actually done anything in the last 3 months to encourage anyone under the age of 16 to try the hobby? who can honestly say they they couldn't have tried harder ?
Whenever i am at the lake i always offer any kids a go of my boat, yes sometimes I'm scared, but most of the kids are amazing at sailing them, they spend half their life gaming & have far greater control skills than most of us who have been sailing all our lives. I got started because some brave soul offered me a go of his 10cc powered Huntsman, he didn't have to do that, but he did. result was a lifelong love of model boats. despite what we like to say, most kids will respect you if you give them a chance & its up to us to give them that chance.
modeling is never going to compete with the x box, but if we plant the seeds maybe some will try the hobby at sometime in their life.
Next time your at an exhibition or regatta, just take a moment to walk away from the crowd & look back at the whole scene. imagine you were 10 again ( we all were once) what do you honestly see? Would you want to get involved at that age?
Some members make a real effort to incourage new blood, but, as with most clubs, most put their efforts into whining.
Rant over, I would like to thank everyone who put them selves out when I was young to encourage me.
cheers Glenn

50mm

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2010, 03:43:20 pm »

Knoby well put finally someone who speak sense!

its up to us as elders to encourage the young ones to get off there chubby butts away from the xbox or ps3 and get outside and be creative!

My son who's 15 has an xbox but we limit his time spent on it as good family values, hes subject to schedules to exercise his mind in all aspects of life, not sat in front of a tv or at the end of the block with a can of spray paint.

As an example of his interests we encourage him to do, its school work, after he's home he get an hour or so in front of the tv, or computer until food is ready, he takes part in extra school activity's like football and gym class, i take him regularly to my club meets and he involved in learning to model things with me as a father and son activity, although i do not ask for his help i do open the door for him to try and take part but will never force it upon him to take it up as a hobby, thats his decision to make as an adult, although im pleased to say he he loves helping me at the moment and that im glad of!

Other activity's are Camping in the RV once a month taking his scout group during the summer, going fishing and learning basic survival skills the same as my father taught me.

how many of you other do this with your children?

I personally believe it comes down to family values and we as adults should take responsibly to teach the young one's rather then blame the education systems or government's of there short comings. maybe if those who moan so much spent more time taking part in aiding younger people maybe you might see a difference

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2010, 05:44:27 pm »

50mm

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2010, 06:06:37 pm »

doubt 'one off's' really count somehow do you?

kiwi

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2010, 06:14:50 pm »

Every new one counts as a start. And the little cresta boy, he's since gone on to build more models.
Knoby, 50mm and DG you guys are doing the right thing with your families, how many more have the right 'family values' and give back to kids the encouragement they received when young. All part of the process and cycle of life
Well done guys
cheers
kiwi

50mm

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2010, 07:05:06 pm »

i've no clue why this is not being continued with family's, i understand as much as the next that single parents struggle to do these things and that some parents still together have to work constantly to meet ends meet, that's life.
But for many i fail to see the effort when family's are home, it becomes a once a year holiday for a week or 2 but the rest of the time the tv seams to be the baby sitter or an easy parenting solutions but then you ask yourself why there are kids on the street at night with knifes and guns, look at the video games they play ( GTA 3 and so on, which i banned my son from playing needless acts of violence) then you have teenage pregnancy's as its hip to have kids or worse they don't get the love and attention at home so they create a little life that they believe will give them the love and attention they should have got from there parents.

bad parenting = bad kids  if this is the case the only people to blame are yourself's  heaven forbid my kids turn out that way but at least i can say i did my best and gave every opportunity to grow to be a better person.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2010, 07:41:02 pm »

Every generation has its own special interests and these days it is computer games. Back in the late 1960s I got heavily involved with Naval Wargaming which was intellectually very satisfying and I learned a lot of naval history along the way. But these pursuits are ephemeral and don't offer anything long lasting. Computer games are a bit like building a kit in some ways as whatever you achieve is basically determined by the manufacturer or writer and is therefore not something you can really take ownership of.

Building a model from scratch, using research to recreate the original, is something else again and, if done well, may recreate something from history in model form which is unique and will outlast you. Something like this will ultimately give you far greater satisfaction than attaining the highest level in some computer game which will rapidly be replaced by an updated version. You can put a scratch built model on display and say 'I built that'.  A bit different to saying that 'I got a score of 20,000 points in xyz computer game'.

But you do need to be a bit older to appreciate the truth of this which is why many modellers these days are of comparatively advanced years!

Colin

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2010, 07:44:21 pm »

... going fishing and learning basic survival skills the same as my father taught me.

how many of you other do this with your children?

I taught my children advanced survival skills.

Sent 'em off to boarding school.....

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2010, 07:54:11 pm »

You cruel, cruel man!

I expect they will be emotionally crippled for life and  totally unable to  engage with extraterrestial civilisations....

Colin

The long Build

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2010, 07:58:07 pm »

{-) {-) {-)

Think in hindsight it would have been the best thing for me..

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2010, 08:16:10 pm »

I think that going to sea at the age of 16/17 is just as traumatic as being sent to a boarding school! Lord knows, if I hadn't "sailed away" I may have developed into a rounder more acceptable member of society than I've finished up as. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2010, 08:18:20 pm »

Now, now Bryan - no excuses!

Colin

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2010, 10:19:22 pm »

A few thoughts
My son whilst growing up joined me in all sorts of hobbies – Military modelling, R/C cars, R/C gliders even model boating! We even built two powerboats.

Free plan in Model Boats Nov ’92 by Glynn Guest – balsa hull catamaran with stock 540 motor 6 volt ni-cad. Oh boy did we have fun and yes most days we had to come home and repair them but we were still laughing about the days events.

Then came computers and girls!

Now nearly 30 he is now an outdoor pursuit instructor. Regularly goes climbing, abseiling, pot holing, kayaking and he has a kite buggy!

Guess what? He came round the other day and asked if I still had the plans and could we build another couple of cats, perhaps in fibreglass this time !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just perhaps model boating does not compare in excitement with the latest computer game to the youth of today! (Martin, please don’t cancel my membership)

But remember it now takes all night to do what you used to do all night.

What I’m trying to say is there is no instant gratification in model boating – whatever level you are at! You have to be in it for the long haul and just perhaps the patience comes with maturity.

I feel that perhaps more can be done at the pond side.  I’m sure we have all been there trying to get the latest creation in the water and along comes the middle aged smart a** with the stupid question!

He could well have been watching for a while and he is nervous of approaching these ‘tecky’ guys and his question comes out all wrong. We of course reply with a  sarcastic answer – game over! Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer. Better perhaps to say hang on while I fix this them we can chat, you might like to have a go yourself – stand back and wind in the hook.

Perhaps there could be a notice board on the club house / pond side with suggestions to where to go for further information, like Mayhem website, model mags, retailers etc.

Please forgive me for waffling on but I had to have my say

soldier151

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2010, 12:26:11 am »

Why not have an Open Gala Day once a month at your Club, advertise it in the local Council Newsletter/Library/Supermarket Notice Boards and have sone half built models on display.   The late Mick Bond of our Club used to demonstrate making boats at the major shows
Soldier151

Dreadstar

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2010, 12:34:52 am »

Ok,so I'm still a relative newbie to this modelmaking lark,but I was the same when I looked at all these display like models. I could never build something like that I thought,so instead I started buying some 2nd hand boats off ebay,and tried renovating them. Now my models will never be of showroom standard,but I think that I did not too bad on the ships that I renovated.

However,I wasn't too happy with them because,I hadn't made them myself.Now my mum didn't raise a fool,as the saying goes,and I knew that buying a kit wasn't really the way to go for me,as I lacked ,as I thought,the skills to do it justice. That was the reason that I started searching about through various mags for free plans,that A piqued my interest,and B were something that I thought that I might be able to do a reasonable job with. Quite how I managed to make the Vosper Corvette look as good as she turned out,still confounds me. This acted as a sort of springboard you might say,and with the completion of almost three models now,I'm really beginning to get the bug. Now don't expect me to move up to the pro-kits,I'm having way too much fun building and modifying these easy-build plans.

I may be a mechanical engineer (Fitter) to trade,but I'd never worked with wood of any type before,but with the build articles posted by many of you,I felt that just maybe I should give it a try.

Thank you all very much for the support you've shown my builds,it really makes a big difference to ones confidence.

David.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.