Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting People interested  (Read 9503 times)

ZZ56

Re: Getting People interested
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2010, 02:04:33 am »

Couple of points:

1) having just shut off the Xbox a half hour or so ago I can attest that video games now are hardly instant-gratification.  Some of them are far more tedious than work!  What hooks people is a gradual progression from one thing to the next within an acceptable difficulty curve, not instantly winning.  Modeling CAN compete with this.

2) there will always be boat modelers as long as there are two kinds of people in the world:  people with an interest in boats, and people with an interest in building things.  These are the people you should be reaching out to.  Most passerbys will express an interest in models at shows but this will fade moments after they get in the car to go home.

3) how many kids now are growing up with parents working service industry jobs, who have no real knowledge of building things?  Occasionally installing something according to carefully vetted instructions doesn't count.  people grow up thinking that it takes a certain education to even begin to make these things, or that it takes extraordinary patience, when patience is really the enemy of modeling (how many people here have been 'working on' something for 4+ years?  Come on now, be honest.)

4)  this discussion is usually brought up by scale modelers but there are many more disciplines within RC boating.  Teens are impressed by speed and power:  try showing them to nitro and gas boats. 

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2010, 09:57:15 am »

... I can attest that video games now are hardly instant-gratification.  Some of them are far more tedious than work!  What hooks people is a gradual progression from one thing to the next within an acceptable difficulty curve, not instantly winning.  Modeling CAN compete with this.

My take on this is that it is the act of creation that is critical.

It doesn't matter if it's a polished museum-grade model, or a plank of wood with a twig nailed onto it. You can see the pride in the kids eyes when they put something together themselves - they will be attached to that far more than any high-speed plastic bought boat...

That's why I'm trying to present a resource of simple plans for kids to really make for themselves, rather than for dad to make for them. Boats that are small enough to put on the shelf of a kids bedroom (which is where they will spend most of their life), but where the kid can look at them and think  "I made that!".

Lord Bungle

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2010, 11:31:28 am »

It doesn't matter if it's a polished museum-grade model, or a plank of wood with a twig nailed onto it. You can see the pride in the kids eyes when they put something together themselves - they will be attached to that far more than any high-speed plastic bought boat...

That's why I'm trying to present a resource of simple plans for kids to really make for themselves, rather than for dad to make for them. Boats that are small enough to put on the shelf of a kids bedroom (which is where they will spend most of their life), but where the kid can look at them and think  "I made that!".

or Uncles to have a quick practice with so they don't look a total idiot when trying to put them to gether with nephews  {-)

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2010, 11:35:28 am »

or Uncles to have a quick practice with so they don't look a total idiot when trying to put them to gether with nephews

In that case the uncles get the same thrill of creating something. I didn't specify how old the kids had to be...  :D :D

Nordsee

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2010, 03:11:04 pm »

Where is this source of plans?

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2010, 03:42:15 pm »

Where is this source of plans?

http://modelboats.hobby-site.com/

Not a lot yet, but it will grow.....
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 23 queries.