Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scratch built POB Bunker boat  (Read 9031 times)

cosmic

Scratch built POB Bunker boat
« on: November 18, 2010, 04:20:17 pm »

Greetings,
I haven't been here since last March, at which time I disclosed that I was building Helen Euphane, a purse seiner in 1/38 scale (920mm LOA). Since then I've progressed to a point, then moved out of my apartment, put all my tools and material in storage, and moved in on my daughter. So everything is on hold until I locate my own place and can set up my workspace again.

In the meantime, I'll post my progress here for your (hopefully) appreciation and feedback. Moderator, please move this build log to the appropriate location.
And thanks.

Mark47

Re: Scratch built POB Bunker boat
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 04:25:20 pm »

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate, but if you can find time to build and post pictures. I'm sure a lot of members will appreciate it. O0

cosmic

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 04:29:52 pm »

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate, but if you can find time to build and post pictures. I'm sure a lot of members will appreciate it. O0
Thanks Mark,
That's a small fraction of the total on my plate! :-)

cosmic

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 04:56:22 pm »

She will be a 114' steam powered purse seiner at 1/38 scale, so will finish to 36" LOA. The plans call for a somewhat fanciful version of the Helen Euphane, a US east coast fisherman after bunker (or mengaden, pogy, shad, alewife), a small, bony, oily, smelly fish used in fertilizer, paints, cosmetics, and fish meal. Some sources call this fish the most commercially important in American waters. There's a large fleet of boats of Helen's type on the Atlantic coast. You can see a slide show of the fleet at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hciOrPKH6I , including a photo of Helen.

The plans call for balsa throughout, but I'm substituting hardwoods. She is plank on bulkhead construction, with 2X5mm sycamore planking, 1/4" poplar framing, and spruce & plywood superstructure. She will be R/C when finished. I did cheat a little with some ready made fittings (portholes, doors, rigging hdwe, and the like).

Induced by the promise of interest I had posted this log elsewhere, but that forum appears to be primarily for plastic kit builders, of mostly military subjects. Nice friendly people, but there was very little response there, so I'll try it here and I'll continue updating if the interest exists.

Here's the first of many photos that will show the progress of construction. These were all taken in a period of time ranging up to several months ago. Then I vacated my apartment and put my tools and materials in storage. I'm now crashing at my daughter's home, and idle until I get my own place and set up my workshop again. Until then I'll add what photos I have, with annotation, then this log will be updated as the project unfolds. The photo below the yellow isometric is of a completed model from the same plans. Can someone please tell me how to get larger images to post here. I have called for 320X240 but it seems to be disregarded. Also, the cursor jumping around in the posting window is very annoying. Is that my local problem?

cosmic

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 01:45:47 pm »

Moderator,
Seems like near zero interest here. I've asked for help on two issues. I wonder if moving this to, perhaps, the "Working vessel" forum might affect more interest. I have many more annotated photos to post.
Thanks.

bwmarks

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 02:21:35 pm »

Very nice boats, I have a Hartman kit that is about 80% complete, just waiting for time and space to finish her up. If you haven't seen the book

Model Boat Building: The Menhaden Steamer
by Steve Rogers
ISBN 0-7643-1070-4

Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 04:02:46 pm »

voilą    :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

cosmic

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 05:37:37 pm »

voilą    :-)
Thanks Martin. I still have this problem about the size of the posted photos. How do I enlarge them?

cosmic

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 07:00:15 pm »

Brian, I think you're talking about the 1/24 scale kit with the molded hull. That's a pretty elaborate project. The price of it is beyond me. I'd love to see some photos of your progress.

cosmic

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 08:11:10 pm »

OK, I figured out that if I used BB code and linked to a URL I could get my photos to post at normal size. So here's the first two again.

cosmic

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 08:29:12 pm »

The cradle is built, the keel is laid, and the bulkheads are laid out for the scroll saw.

It's hard to see from this angle, but the stringer laying on the building board is scribed in profile to establish the sheer of the deck. If that's as clear as mud, see the next.

Now you can see that the stringers are attached to the upside down building board and scribed to define the position of the bulkheads so as to establish the sheer of the deck when it's laid.

And here's the frame right side up. The plans didn't provide for the blocking between bulkheads. I thought it provident to do so.

cosmic

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 10:54:27 pm »

Some of the superstructure dry fitted. Now the deck sheer is obvious. The block forming the stern is balsa. It will serve to help the planking form some serious compound bends ihn that area.

Here's the frame for the wheelhouse.The posts are 1/4" square spruce. The roof and deck are from a 1/8" luan mahogany door skin. I bought one for about $7 and I'll have enough for another 5 or 6 models out of it. It's really junk wood, but the price is right.

The forward deckhouse with wheelhouse above dry fitted to the deck. The skins were a bit of a challenge. The radius of that bend around the wheelhouse is 1.5". I used two layers of 1/32" birch plywood placed with the surface ply vertical.

More work on the superstructure while waiting for the planking to arrive. The 4X5" fish hatch is built over 1/8" plywood on a frame of 1/2X3/16" pine. The planking is frpm a 2X5mm sample sent to me from HobbyMill. The simulated caulking is done by running a #2 pencil along the edges of the plank before laying it. The color is imparted by a coat of sanding sealer. (toxic stuff, use it outdoors only!).

Here's the fish hatch installed. It's removable for access to the R/C gear.

bwmarks

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 02:54:03 am »

This is mine based on a Hartmans kit I got off Ebay a few years ago.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 03:34:49 am »

lookin good Cosmic. You mentioned, at the start of the thread, you asked two questions and didn't get a response. I must have missed them. What were they?

John

cosmic

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 03:55:44 am »

Brian, nice! And you got lucky, because after Hartman died the kit was unobtainable until Loyalhanna Dockyards picked up the hull molds and reissued it. I think it's about close to $600 now. Want to say what you paid for it?

John, thanks. I have a problem with the posting window. After I get some text in it (sometime after the window fills and I have to scroll to enter more) my cursor goes all crazy. That problem persists. The other issue was that I couldn't get any images to post any bigger than thumcnails. I solved that (obviously) by entering the BB (img) & (/img] code manually.

Stay tuned guys, more coming.

cosmic

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 04:20:05 am »

The crow's nest.

The Helen, as typical of such boats, carried two 32' purse boats on davits at the stern. These were used to set the seine, draw the purse closed, and assist in hauling the catch. I made them bread & butter style from 1/4" and 1/2" poplar sheet, and decked them with the sycamore planking.

A finished purse boat. The rowboat is called the striker. Think foreman of the operation. It stows on the fish hatch when underway.

Wheelhouse windows and doors installed. The opaque window material is salvaged from some packaging plastic. As with all the deck housing, it's lit with a 5mm 360 degree LED. It took most of 2 days to get those in and looking acceptable.

cosmic

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 09:57:07 am »

The forward deckhouse with the first of the portholes installed. These are brass, and come with the glass already installed. From Cornwall Model Boats.

Another look at the forward deckhouse. The doors are plastic, also from Cornwall (an excellent source for fittings). Don't worry about the smeary paint; it's a first coat.

The wires out the top of the wheelhouse are for nav lights and a searchlight forward. I tried a different painting process this time. Got tired of paying big money for one ounce bottles of Testor's and the like. I found the strongest pigmented house paint available in this part of the world, Behr brand. I bought two quarts of their premium exterior acryllic ($18 per) in the two colors I'm using. After much fiddling I ended up with a one to one paint to water mixture that flows and covers beautifully. I'll not buy model paints in future for brush painting acryllic on wood.

The basic superstructure is done. Many details still to add.

The aft cabin is removable for access to the R/C gear.

The planking finally arrived. About 20% done in this photo. The colored dots are push pins used to hold the plank in position until the glue sets. I use the premium grade of Titebond, not because it's that much better than other PVA glues, but because the clamp time is half that of the others. I don't use CA other than to temporarily hold a piece until the PVA or epoxy sets. I find that CA joints on wood are too weak and brittle.

Here's another look at the aft cabin,now fully rigged. The stack is a piece of 1" PVC. Eventually I'll line that with 1/2" copper pipe and install a smoke generator. The turnbuckles and clevises actually work. They're also from Cornwall. I'll use more of the same later to anchor the ratlines and stays.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 11:08:10 am »

John, thanks. I have a problem with the posting window. After I get some text in it (sometime after the window fills and I have to scroll to enter more) my cursor goes all crazy. That problem persists. The other issue was that I couldn't get any images to post any bigger than thumcnails. I solved that (obviously) by entering the BB (img) & (/img] code manually.

Ahh.............you're in the nether-lands of computer work there. Sorry I can't be much help. I swim hard just to  stay above water in that topic.

John

awvs

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 12:54:39 pm »

Hi cosmic,
very nice wood works and a great looking model. Thanks for the pictures.

Regards
Wilhelm

bwmarks

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 01:32:13 pm »

Rich,

I paid $400 for it 70% built with 12 volt decaperm motor, shaft/prop installed, striker boat, 2 seine boats and all of the fittings, a hull full of spare wood and enough detail items like working lights etc to keep me busy for another year. It's a great project, I take a part with me when I travel and concentrate on it. This Holiday season my goal is to finish the seine boats so I can get them on the davits.

Your build looks great by the way, you have a lot more patience than I do.

Brian

cosmic

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 03:08:37 pm »

Wilhelm, you're welcome. And thanks!

Brian, you bought it right! Matter of fact, I'm jealous.  :((

cosmic

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 03:44:38 pm »

The planking is complete. This hull is single planked, because I chose to use a very thick 2mm material. The reflected light is due to a coat of sanding sealer, before sanding it down. The "stripe" of wood on the skeg is the doubler I added to accomodate a 5mm propeller tube within the 1/4" thickness of the keel. The hull is now ready for filling and sanding.

I don't own a lathe or a mill, and I wanted a steam winch for a chain anchor rode. All I could find at scale was this brass electric winch with two drums but no gypseys (chain sprockets). I filed off the peens hollding the drums on the shaft, pressed them off, inserted brass washers to simulate the gypseys, and pressed them back on. The copper chain was also all I could find to scale. It should be studded to be authentic, so this is another compromise. And on the same subject, if someone asks me  why an electric winch on a 1902 steamer, my response will be, {-) "mind your own business". {-)

Here's the first photo of the superstructure on the planked hull. You can make out the purse boat davits on the stern, the anchor winch in the bow, and some added detail on the forward deckhouse and wheelhouse.

The railing is .025" piano wire which I annealed with a butane torch to make it bendable. The stanchions are from Cornwall. The ladder was fashioned here and the handrails are 3/64" brass rod. The nav lights, searchlight, hooter, and radar are from Cornwall. The galley stack is a piece of 1/4" brass tube with a short length of 5/16" swaged onto the end of it. The hangar for the bell is out of scale; it will be changed.

cosmic

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 06:57:19 am »

The rub rail installed. The stern piece is cut from 1/4" poplar, the stringers are 1/4" square spruce, hence the difference in color. Also visible is the 5/32" brass tube for the 1/8" rudder post.

The original anchors on the Helen, and most of the rest of the fleet, were danforth type stowed on the deck and run outboard with a small davit on the bow. I had no room for all that gear plus the winch and the wheelhouse companionway, so I went with navy type stockless anchors stowed outboard into hawsepipe fairleads, in this photo just dry fitted. Some of the fleet actually had this exact arrangement. The anchors are from Model Expo.

Here's the bow light, a white 3mm LED in a brass housing set below the crow's nest. I cut a groove the length of the mast from the light down to accomodate the wiring and back filled it with the hull filler.

Here's the rudder servo and ESC installed. Also a good view of the planking indoard, coated with polyester resin for waterproofing.

The phenolic washer under the link is to prevent tinning the rudder post and tube together when soldering the link on. The washer is snug on the post.

I'm using a 75 turn brush motor. I'm using 2.4ghz radio so I'm hoping noise won't be a problem.

First coat of paint on the hull. It's just to help me see where I need more filler and sanding. Also, the mast is stepped. Still to go: hang the boats, install the bulwarks and caprail, add the bitts, mooring bollard, stern rail, ratlines, boom, and rope rigging. Getting there!

Had to back uo one. The plabs make no provision for access to the rudder linkage. Too risky for me so I added another removable hatch.

That's as far as I've gotten to date. As I mentioned, when I get relocated and have my shop set up again, I'll continue reporting on this.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 22 queries.