Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which model engineer exhibition?  (Read 2702 times)

RODDERS

Which model engineer exhibition?
« on: November 20, 2010, 07:27:14 pm »

Havent been to one in a good many years.Amate and I want to go to one. As far as I can tell there are 2 on soon..one is in December at Sandown Park ,the other at Aly Pally in January I believe. Seem to remember reading a few years ago somewhere that one of them wasnt any good,(or at least not like the engineer exhibitions from my yoof!)..........So which is OK?
                Rod

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Which model engineer exhibition?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 08:20:57 pm »

Neither of them can hold a candle to the ME of years ago, but the one at Ally Pally is the better of the two IMO. Both tend to concentrate heavily on model engineering as a opposed to the wider diversity of model making that used to be on display at the older shows, although there are quite a few boats on display at the palace, but no pond, unless that changes this time around.

RODDERS

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 09:23:45 pm »

Last time I went (maybe 15 or so yrs ago) there was a large boat pond. Think it was held at Olympia.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 07:04:36 am »

Yep, I well remember the Olympia shows. I'm afarid the Ally Pally show has some way to go before it matches those.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 08:13:32 am »

Last time I went it was at Wembley, over new year,
 How long ago was that?

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 08:31:28 am »

The last Wembley exhibiton was in 2001, although that was a one-off. The regular Wembley exhibition finished in the late eighties and moved to Ally Pally, then onto Olympia.

RODDERS

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 08:43:27 am »

Re the visit to ME I mentioned at Olympia....Strange story....Bear with me....I took my two boys with me (they were about 10 and 6 yrs old)  by train from Essex ,then underground to Olympia..Whilst there ,I felt realy unwell ,nausea,sickness ,massive head ache etc. I kept going, having to look after the boys and not wanting to spoil their trip. On the way home,sitting on the u/ground train I still felt unwell headache etc. There were a couple of other passengers who were puking on the train as well.one guy sat reading the paper and suddenly projectile puked all over the place ...yeuk! I felt sorry for him....very strange....
 I soon recovered and while  talking to a guy at work, he said he had also been to the M/E exhibition ,but had to leave early as he felt so ill....same symptoms as me. He mentioned that it wasnt dodgy burgers etc,as he has taken his own food. Same with me,as at the time we couldnt afford to eat out in those days.......A few months later I read somewhere about some very controversial tests that some govt dept had been carrying out releasing chemicals in public areas,like the underground..............I have always wondered if.....!

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 09:20:13 am »

Harrogate is also a good one to go to- they always have a diverse range of models on display, and usually have a large boating pond too. Usually in May.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 11:12:54 am »

The Midlands Model Engineering exhibition is pretty big but it a long wait now, Friday 14 October 2011 to Tuesday 18 October 2011.
 http://www.meridienneexhibitions.co.uk/our-events-detail.php?id=0000000007

Here are pictures from my last visit:   http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Shows2007/Midlands-Engineering-2006/1ndex.htm

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 04:43:40 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 23 queries.