Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IC Engine HELP!!  (Read 2313 times)

tjones27

IC Engine HELP!!
« on: November 21, 2010, 05:44:15 pm »

Hi,
    i have a Kyosho GX.12 engine, and whilst running it yesterday something didn't go quite right. it made an abnormal noise and then stopped. when i tried to pull the pullstart again kit had jammed. so i took the back off, and upon closer inspection i  found some pieces of metal in there. three pieces each of 2-3mm in size. this explains why the engine stopped all of sudden. it seems as though the collar that sits on the con rod, and connects to the shaft had somehow broken and therefoire had stopped the engine from running, and bringing it to an ubrupt halt. i know that you can buy a spare con rod, and have found one, but is it possible to just replace the collar that has come off, or do i need to take my engione apart and replace the con rod. im guessing that the con rod comes with the collars? i have taken some pictures of the broken collar, and from the back of the engine, so you can see where it should be.

triumphjon

Re: IC Engine HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 08:36:19 pm »

if it were my engine id strip it all down , how can you be sure there are no other broken particles elsewhere ? they are normally fairly simple to strip but you may need to pop the barrel in the oven to heat it up enough to remove the piston liner ! you will need at the very least a new con rod , and maybe bearings and a new piston & liner ?

tjones27

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 08:43:54 pm »

Thanks,
          i shall be doing that after work tomorrow then. well i hope all i need is a new con rod and nothing else, but it is best to check. and thanks for the tip about the oven, ive never heard that one before! Cheers

triumphjon

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 09:18:56 pm »

it works for bigger engines too , ive a friend in bristol who has a baby belling in the workshop just for heating up motorcycle barrels for the same reason ! watch out for the wife / girlfriend as she may not be to happy with you cooking your model engine in "her " oven ! !

50mm

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 09:17:16 am »

strip it down to its component parts and check them for damage, replace anything that does not look right, check the piston head for damage also such as a deep scratch and the piston wall as this would have taken a significant amount of damage. anything with a dent, deep scratch, needs to be replaced, you will also need to thoroughly clean the engine out to remove partials that will now be in there, check the cylinder head for damage also. always a issue with IC when something goes wrong it costs more to fix then you expect!

if you engine is anything like mine on the con rod i have a 'micro super charger' looks like a fan, check that there is no cracks around the part or on the bearing housing, i had a flooded engine once and over pulled it with the force of the pull and hydraulic lock up it shattered the cod rod and the super charger. now i will never use and electric starter back to the old rip cord!

tjones27

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 11:34:23 am »

Well i stripped it all down last night, and very luckily the only damage that has been done is to the con rod! so i shall be ordering a new one and putting that back in. and then fingers crossed it should all be in fien working order again. and hopefully this wont happen to me again. well atleast not for a little while i hope. :)

triumphjon

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 08:22:08 pm »

have you checked the big end pin for alignment ? i once had a super tiger 40 front induction /rear exhaust that used to eat con rods , finally traced to a bent big end pin ! it was looked into after about four con rod replacements ! !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 19 queries.