Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "viable" e-mail address? why?  (Read 2147 times)

nige2307

"viable" e-mail address? why?
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:20:36 pm »

please could somebody clarify what a "viable" email address is please, and why not having one would  be cause for somebody to stop corresponding after having done so prior? 
 more precisely ...  a member( BY)  offered assistance and in part gave some!
But then said "email not viable ..... till i get one.... i am out of here!"
 had i needed one, why leave it till now to so rudely say so?
enlightenment please.

thank you Nigel

RaaArtyGunner

Re: "viable" e-mail address? why?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 12:19:11 am »

My understanding is that a lot more sites/places are wanting correspondents/members to have a "legitimate" email address and go on to state that it cannot be one of the Freebies such as hotmail, gmial, yahoo etc etc etc.

It was explained to me that in that context, legitimate was the email address with your ISP after the @.

Such as, If John Smith's ISP is "Box.com.uk" his email would be something like jsmith@box.com.uk whereas jsmith@hotmail is unacceptable.

Something to do with spam and tracking logging in or some such technicality with some ISP's.

Makes lot of sense yes/no, but thems their rules.

Boy From the Bay

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 04:38:27 am »

Was it BY who turned you down?
If so ask him.
It may be his anti-spam software doing it and he does not know about it.
His security setting may need changing.

If it is a problem with this ModelBoatMayhem site, speak to the site owner.

Sounds like it is either a techie glitch, or a misunderstanding.

But what do I know? Not much.

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:14:18 am »

I have had a similar problem in the past. I do not know the full reasoning but it sounds like a little "IT" snobbery to me.......

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 11:39:13 am »

Hi Nigel,

When does the "viable email address" message appear?

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Lord Bungle

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 11:42:12 am »

I haven't had any problems yet, I am on Hotmail

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 11:52:37 am »

I've no desire to do my washing in public......however.....
I replied twice to Nigel by simply using the "reply" box in the received message.
When I attempted to contact him direct, but not as a reply, google came back to me with comments such as :-
" Message not delivered. This address is PERMANENTLY not server recognized and is not a viable address".
There followed a long screed culminating with the suggestion that both parties change servers if further communication is to be attempted.
As you may imagine, I was a more than a bit flumoxxed by this, and didn't (still don't) know what to think. But as Nigel has sort of proved his credentials by his last post at least it shows he's on the up'n'up.
I, like many on this forum have had "problems" with some postings requesting information only to be led a merry dance. Witness other postings on this subject. In Nigels case it seems as if he has innocently been caught up in something he had no control over.
But even though that may well be the case, I expect most others on this forum would have reacted in a similar fashion.
My other statement to Nigel that until I get a "viable" address (one I can use direct rather than just using the reply box) I'd have to withdraw. This is because if I'm to send and receive discs I need to send my postal address, and receive his. So at the time I had my doubts. In fact I've always had some doubts about many things ever since I had that major robbery that cost me so dearly.
A reminder.....about £30,000 worth of models plus all my tools, equipment, batteries and radio gear. Big trauma.
If the problem with Nigels e-mail sytem can be solved then of course I'd be willing to continue givining assistance. Bryan Y.
Notes from a simple seaman

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 11:56:19 am »

Hi Nigel,

When does the "viable email address" message appear?

Martin

Martin, it appeared on the reply I got from Google after trying to send Nigel a "stand-alone" message. I got the Google message about an hour after "your message has been sent" thing appeared on my screen. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 12:12:59 pm »

Ah yes, I suspect it is as Bryan says, replying to the email that the Forum sends out.
Next time, click the link on the bottom of the email and that will bring back to here Mayhem and set up the reply for you.

Martin  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

nige2307

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 04:07:27 pm »

PUBLIC APOLOGY!  :embarrassed:

Bryan.. once again i find myself apologizing.
I acted out of ignorance, and apologies.

martin..admin      thank you.

nigel
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.