Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'home made' transmitter  (Read 2839 times)

RRS01

'home made' transmitter
« on: November 22, 2010, 04:49:18 am »

I saw a transmitter a couple of years ago that allowed for the three masts to be controlled individually ... I've been trying to find out more about it since then, but with no luck.  It looked like it was 'home made', and if memory serves me, its creator was out of Germany.    :)

The reason I'm asking is I'd like to make one like it to control a scratch built Galleon I'm working on ... (that I might get afloat in the next ten years)   :-[  :(

Thank You in advance for any assistance!  :)

Chameo

Re: 'home made' transmitter
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 08:55:41 am »

Hi RRS01,
let's ask the other way round: what do you need to control ONE mast? A single servo or sail winch? In this case it's quite easy! Get a simple 4 channel TX. One channel for the rudder and one channel for each mast.
It might be useful do remove the springs from the sticks to hold the position instead of self centering or even replace the sticks by simple potentiometer knobs.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 02:12:26 pm »

Was it this Frenchman?

Who used this as a tx?

:-))

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

RRS01

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 05:48:12 pm »

Thanks Chameo!  I haven't even thought about the potentiometer aspect ...

Thanks dreadnought72!  that is a direction that I might end up going ...

The transmitter I saw (all those years ago :((  )  was the outline of the ship (from above) with the masts in their location then,  you twisted the 'yardarm'  to control the angle of the sails.  Understand, I know nothing about sailing, but from what I've read, isn't it necessary to be able to do this to be able to tack a square rigger?

I suppose I'll have to get a few of 'car' transmitters,  have one channel for each mast, remove the springs (for the sails) so they don't self center, have the one channel for the rudder, and I was thinking about having two DC motors (in case the wind dies down) I was thinking about using car starter motors for this ... then, I was thinking I'd need something to 'run out the cannon' and fire them,   (still working on it) 

also, I was wondering if a 'Frankenstein' transmitter could work on one antenna, or if I'd need to use the antennas from each of the transmitters that I end up cannibalizing?

This may seem like a lot to pack in a small 'ship' but, it's not that small ... it's 110" stem to stern and has a 34" beam ... I'm thinking I'll need a 'jet ski' trailer to transport it. 

My main fear is, I'll finally get this ship completed, and kill over from a heart attack  >>:-(   <:(

Chameo

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 09:21:10 am »

Hi RRS01,

I don't think it to be a good idea to use several 2 channel TX instead of one 6 or more channel TX. You'll need different crystals for each TX and as many RX in the boat as there are TX (which need more current). Especially occupying several channels in a MHZ band can be a big problem when you sail with other rc enthusiasts.
You are right, connecting several TX to the same antenna could be a problem too.

If you need one servo for each mast to control the sail angle, one for the rudder, one for a motor and one for additional functions like firing cannons, you need a simple 6 channel TX. The motor doesn't need an ESC for this purpose. A simple switch (controlled by a servo) will do. Replacing the sticks by knobs isn't that difficult.

Maybe you could post a picture of the boat (or it's prototype), so that we can think about useful rc components.

RRS01

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 04:45:06 am »

This is the closest picture I've come across to what I'm trying for:   :-)

and this is what I've got so far ... (like I said before, it'll be a while before she's ready to sail):   :((

Chameo

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 09:03:57 am »

Ok, I think electronics are the simplest parts of this project... do you know how to control square sails? Is it necessary to gather the sails when there ist to much wind? I had a look at some prototype pics and it looks like a lot of ropes and winches... Maybe there's someone here in the forum who knows how to solve the mechanical challenge.

Adding servos or winches to a working sail adjustment should be not that difficult. I would use two servos (or winches) per mast. One to turn the sails and one to gather them. With the rudder and a motor you'll need an eight channel TX. Firing cannons will need at least one additional channel.

RRS01

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 06:00:15 pm »

@ dreadnought72  DAMN, YOU'RE GOOD!!!  :-)) 

I was trying to find a better view of the TX he, (the 'Frenchman') was using and, low and behold, there it was in some long lost files I had saved (and all it took was my computer 'semi-crashing' and the re-installation process to find it again!)    %%

I just didn't remember the other half of it ... (it sucks getting old  <:(

Any how, here it is: 

NOW, all I have to do is figure out how he rigged it up ... :}  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.