Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ISPs  (Read 5342 times)

RaaArtyGunner

Re: ISPs
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 10:16:56 pm »

And those that are not full of air trying to get out, on the principal that while the air is coming out, the water can't get in, are stuffed with water resistant grease to discourage water entry, then the individual wires are covered with a waterproof plastic insulation.  Sort of belt, braces and bit of string on self supporting trousers.  Thats not to say that some cheery soul on a JCB is going to be unable to work his way through the lot and shove the fickle ferret of fate up one of the legs of these metaphorical trousers..........

Colin-
Pressure drop due to a big hole that lets air out faster than it could be shoved in the other end (there are alarm systems monitoring this sort of thing, so the "system" would, in theory, and certainly in the past, have a man with big wellies shaking his head over it before the customers noticed).  Cables in ducts can also be damaged by just being there - traffic vibration causes them to creep, or try to creep and put themselves under very considerable tension.  I did once run into a Irish gentleman who had been cutting grass on a verge using something that looked like a monster strimmer.  The machine had not only trimmed the grass, it had shot the metal trunking covering the cable running up the pole off the pole, strimmed the cable cowering within, and made a manful effort at the pole itself, which it probably thought of as a truly worthy grass stalk.  I still remember his words "I've tried putting the ends back together, sorr." 

If my memory serves me correctly similar cabling set up in OZ as we also had a PMG before they become privatised.
The trunk mains were copper cables encased in lead with cable joins in large pits with the joint elevated to prevent water ingress.
Plus Gas pressurisation and alarm monitoring as has been mentioned by "Fun time frankie" who may be a techie, I am not.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 08:25:56 am »

Shouldn't and aren't are two different words.... Leakage did cause some problems around here - pressure drop maybe?

Colin

OK it should read

Ducts being full of water SHOULDN'T be a problem to the user,

Sorry for the typo :embarrassed:

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2010, 08:54:54 am »

Any of you guys had any dealings with Sky Broadband?
I transferred to Sky Talk and broadband at the start of the month.
I had the line for Talk activated on the 15th but no sign of the Broadband
Every time I ring I am told it will take 72 hours to clear a tag from the line.
After 72 hours I ring again only to be told 'We have put the request through
and it will take 72 hours'
Seriously thinking of taking phone and broadband elsewhere but where? 

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2010, 11:48:37 am »

Sky?
Take your money and run very quickly away from them!
My partner changed to them (to get away from dealing with BT following a very nasty series of events). What a mistake that was!
Sky will say anything but their prayers, the service is garbage and the pricing schemes are a figment of a very fertile imagination.
To check the prices (having viewed the tv adverts) I contacted them to see if I could achieve their claims. Dream on baby! They wanted about double what they claimed on the adverts.
The actual changeover from AOL to Sky was a nightmare, the new router they sent would connect according to the instructions. Much time and frustration was had from this activity.
In fairness to them, I eventually managed to speak to a human (yes, they do employ them!) and she was very good at her job. A shame that she seemed to be a single bright spot in the whole firm.

Overall, if they were the only ISP, I would resort to smoke signals and string and tin cans for my phone.
I'm not you may gather, a fan of Sky.
HTH 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.