Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accuracy and displacemnet  (Read 1621 times)

Sandy

Accuracy and displacemnet
« on: November 23, 2010, 04:43:17 pm »

Hi,

Yet another newbie-to-the-hobby question (well two actually).

How accurate should hull measurements be ? If, for example, I had a five and a half foot model, how accurate (in measurements) should, say, one hull side height to the main deck need to be with the other ? I appreciate that, all things being equal, they should be ... em ... equal, but is there an acceptable or un-noticeable ammount of tolerance ?

Also, if a hull is slightly 'bent', sitting higher in the centre off the table (2-3mm) than where it touches at ends, how does the model 'sit' in the water ? If it is a 'classic' ship hull form with pointy, narrower ends and broader central beam, and the weight of ballast and components tends to be concentrated in this centre (fore and aft) does the boat sit in the water conforming to this bend?

Or does the displacemnent effect tend to level the boat out ? My initial thought is that it wouldn't as being narrower and pointier the bow and stern will not displaces enough to compensate.

I would apprecaite any responses from experts on this or any discussion at all.

Thanks in advance.

Sandy

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Accuracy and displacemnet
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 05:46:58 pm »

If you can't tell without a ruler, you got away with it.  If the model doesn't look like it has a permanent list, again, you got away with it.
If the hull is built hogged, and is rigid, ain't nothing going to correct it short of major surgery.  If putting its full complement of weight in the centre does not straighten the keel out on the table, it wont straighten in the water.  It should be possible to live with 3mm in 5ft.  Just a question of ballasting so that the model looks right on the water.  Below the waterline, as long as the deviations are not so big as to have an effect on handling, no worries.  Its out of sight.
If it is intended as a scale model, everything will be in direct proportion to the real thing, otherwise it becomes "semi scale" or "stand off scale", but as long as it still looks good on the water, there should be no worries.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Sandy

Re: Accuracy and displacemnet
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 07:52:05 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Sandy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.