Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SCAM - UNDELIVERED PARCEL (BEWARE!)  (Read 5178 times)

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
SCAM - UNDELIVERED PARCEL (BEWARE!)
« on: November 17, 2010, 01:53:08 am »

Dear All,

There is a new scam going round a card gets pushed through your letter box
stating that PDS (parcel delivery service) could not deliver a parcel and to
ring 0906 6611911 a premium rate number DO NOT RING as it is a telephone number
in BELIZE and will cost you £315 to phone.    :o :o :o

If you do receive a card contact Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655.                               

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
Re: SCAM - UNDELIVERED PARCEL (BEWARE!)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 08:19:58 am »

The highest call rate to 090 numbers is £1.50 a minute, I think someone's got their finger stuck on the £ 3 key

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/issue61.html#one

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/pds.asp

Lord Bungle

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 10:11:35 am »

I had something similar a few years ago, as I wasn't expecting a parcel I goggled the phone number and discovered it ended up in the ivory coast.
this site is quite useful for finding out those strange missed calls http://whocallsme.com/

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 12:11:14 pm »

It is good to see people immediately referencing Snopes or other sites that track hoax warnings. That is the correct way to investigate these rumours.    :-)) :-)) :-))

According to them, this particular scam did occur, would have cost you £9 (not £315), and was closed down in 1995. If a new variant has appeared (which I suspect it has not), it would be more appropriate to check first, then reference a definitive official warning rather than just repeat an inaccurate scare.

Lord Bungle

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 12:16:28 pm »

mine was sent by text around 3 years ago, so its still going around in 1 way or another.
Snopes is very good, and with that and the whocallsme site your pretty much covered.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 03:12:22 pm »

It is good to see people immediately referencing Snopes or other sites that track hoax warnings. That is the correct way to investigate these rumours.    :-)) :-)) :-))

According to them, this particular scam did occur, would have cost you £9 (not £315), and was closed down in 1995. If a new variant has appeared (which I suspect it has not), it would be more appropriate to check first, then reference a definitive official warning rather than just repeat an inaccurate scare.

Quite right, but the "definitive official warning" needs a bit of clarifying.  A lot of these time wasters include a reference to a named police officer, such as "DS Phil McAvity of Bentover Police", or some such, in the hope that the receivers will believe it without further checking, panic, and send it on to waste many more peoples' time. 
Premium rate numbers were only invented as a means of scamming money from the gullible anyway, hence their use on votelines for TV "contests" to rake cash in for the producers.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 04:13:42 pm »

Still its good to keep people on their guard
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 08:26:34 pm »

Quite right, but the "definitive official warning" needs a bit of clarifying.... 

True. I was keeping things short - if I start on this particular hobby-horse I will be writing for an hour or so. I expected a 'definitive official warning' to be a press release or an entry on an official web site - not something which required an action by the authorities (hence wasting their time), but something which could easily be validated as genuine and current. In a company a warning on the corporate internet would be the equivalent...

If this sort of message is the only way anyone gets to hear about any of these scams I suppose the scare might serve a purpose, but I am concerned that providing continual warnings switches most people off. Then, when there is a real requirement to warn, people will no longer listen to you. Most terrorist warnings are now running into this problem...

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 12:30:22 am »

Many thanks for the snoop/whocallsme and hoaxslayer info links. SWMBO forwarded this 'well meaning' scam/heads up to my mailbox, bless her.  %) 

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 05:53:21 am »

Well there is a computer virus going round.
you get an email from fed ex saying you have a parcel to collect etc. There is no card through your door etc. Reading the web address:  FedEx Delivery Service (support.nr.9628@managerscom) you can see it is not real and need binning. On that not there is one from face book doing the rounds as well note the address
:     Facebook office (manager.nr.5812@facebook.com). Yes you guessed it once again it is from Africa . It must be scamming session again
Just check all official email  address that normal gives the game a way.

John

oapanglais

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 06:20:12 pm »

I have received emails purporting to be from Fedex and UPS. They invited me to click on a link to claim the parcel. On the first one I sent an email (not a reply) to UPS who told me the name on the reply email address did not exist. If you are not expecting a parcel don't click the link.
Brian

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 08:36:31 pm »

I have received emails purporting to be from Fedex and UPS. They invited me to click on a link to claim the parcel. On the first one I sent an email (not a reply) to UPS who told me the name on the reply email address did not exist. If you are not expecting a parcel don't click the link.
Brian

Don't click on the link even if you are expecting a parcel! What you will get is a zipped attachment to download (claiming to be a form) and an instruction to run it. It will be a piece of malicious code....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.