Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dead eyes  (Read 3277 times)

LarryW

dead eyes
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:47:39 pm »

hi all can Any body tell how to make dead eyes to support rigging thank you ....Larry

triumphjon

Re: dead eyes
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 09:14:35 pm »

are they not available in the correct scale for your current build ? some of the commercial ones look rather small to be wanting to produce your own !

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:54:02 pm »

For commercial ones try

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/index.html

Scroll down until  ' Model Boat & Ship Fittings '

Many of the companies listed make deadeyes

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 10:18:14 pm »

I made my own for the Hoy - drill 3 small holes down the length of a dowel and part them off with a razor saw. I got 3 off at one go, on my best attempt.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 01:11:42 am »

I use the bought ones. Two reasons.

Firstly, as stated, fidley to make. Especially the groove around the edge of the deadeye.

Secondly, they are made of hardwood and are drilled across the grain, not along the grain. The face of the deadeye is across the grain and not end grain, I believe this is much stronger. If the deadeyes are to be load bearing this is worth considering.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

LarryW

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 09:39:46 am »

thank you for reply . i have the dead eyes all ready but how do i rig them to support the rest of rigging bits ?.
 and is there a jig i can set up , rigging is new to me /...cheers Larry.... {:-{

triumphjon

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 12:53:34 pm »

there is a book available , the title escapes me at present but i will see if i can find out later . i see you are a member of the clevedon club , there are lots of scale sail members there im sure somebody within the club would be willing to assist  you ? ? 

LarryW

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 01:13:54 pm »

thank you for reply , yes i willtry get a bit of info members ,when we have a meeting next, i have only been a member, a month , and the club is in winter mode at the moment , so thats why i seeking mayem site for help :-)).....Larry

LarryW

black rose
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 02:14:45 pm »

added a paint :-)) cheers larry

triumphjon

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 03:53:10 pm »

im sure you have more hardy members than that ? they have been known to sail in all weathers , ive seen some of the portishead guys out when its blowing gales & raining !

LarryW

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 04:00:36 pm »

er pass :((  also 20ml travel to sail  O0 LARRY.

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 05:14:48 pm »

Larry - no time now, but I have seen a nifty home made jig (made from a steel hinge) for deadeyes

I will sketch and post it  - hopefully tomorrow

BTW you need some GOOD wood with a close grain if you are planning to cut lengths of dowel - alternative is paxolin dowel which is about the right colour and strong enough.
andrew

triumphjon

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 05:25:20 pm »

bit closer to home would be  st georges lake in st goerges park , free parking & close to lake or eastville park , best lake entrance is from under m32 by hungary horse ph , you have to walk down a tarmac lane to the lake it follows the river frome  to the lake , there used to be a good sized group a few years ago ! i know before you have mentioned sailing at vikki park in bath , there used to be a sailing club that operated at the bath spa university college  , where the globe ph is take the A39 (corston ) theres a driveway on left set back from main road turn in and follow to top , sailing club use the lake in the grounds ! ( postcode is BA 2 )

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 10:05:10 pm »

Hi Larry

I have sent you an email with a copy of an article on rigging dead eyes,

Hope it helps
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 23 queries.