Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caldercraft JOFFRE build  (Read 27153 times)

ooyah/2

Re: Caldercraft JOFFRE build
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 10:25:54 am »

Hi where did you get the plan for the HS class tug, I have been after info on them for some time, love the riviting by the way, nice and small just how they should be.

peter

Hi Peter,
M.A.P.  used to publish a yearly Plans Hand Book and in it there was drawings for an H.S. tug by Phil Thomas  ( plan No  MM 1144 )
I don't know if it's still available  but here are a couple of phone numbers..
ARGUS   01322 660070 think they were taken over by NEXUS PUBLISHING  ( www.nexusmedia.com )
I also have a No in my book but not sure if it relates to the tug. ( www.myhobbiesstore.com ) or it could be  (www.myhobbystore .com )
Give it a try you may be lucky.

George.

Gerryg

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 08:13:03 pm »

hi nice model I had the pleasure to see the real boat as it was still in service when I was seving my time as a marine fitter on the river Tyne in the late 60s and early 70s, but I never saw it with a sail up it was one of my favourite tus along with the Beamish there was still a lot of steam tugs working the river at that time.

johndora

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2019, 06:17:27 pm »

OK it's a loooong time since posts in this thread, but where George did you get the plating drawing, please?

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2019, 06:31:04 pm »

Have a look at replies 7 & 18 on page 1and the shaded one at the top of page 2.

Regards,
Ray.

johndora

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2019, 06:39:05 pm »

Ray, thanks, I have seen those, but have been unable to source plating drawings; the HS Tug drawings mentioned allegedly don't have this level of detail according to one supplier. I say allegedly because the supplier hasn't a copy to hand..

Any help to source HS Tug plans with plating details will be very welcome! Although I am able to derive plating details for the Joffre hull, drawings will help with accuracy.

John

RST

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2019, 08:31:24 pm »

I'm not sure whether it helps but a good google search I was surprised to see her out of the water at Bo'ness -which I presume is the same place I grew up near but the background of Fife looks a bit flat?  Pics might help when no clear definition, you can clearly see the run of the plating lines on the side shell which can probably be be scaled close-enough from an outline GA anyway, it might help you on your way...

http://www.tynetugs.co.uk/joffre1916.html

Not sure if it helps (google -second best after Gillette)...

Rich

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2019, 09:56:14 pm »

As for them questing  the pink colour if you look at most Tyne tugs you will see nearly all had a part of the hull at the bow near the waterline painted in this colour even up to the late 70's early 80's what it did I don't really know maybe something to do with the bow-wave stripping the hull paint over time might be wrong but never seen it before on other Tugs only the Tyne and Wear ones.
                    Regards Howard

RST

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2019, 11:58:34 pm »

Only to say mr/mrs/ms marinaru_ro must be paying hefty for the priveledge for their photobucket photos to still show these days so maybe they're still around somewhere?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2019, 12:30:04 am »

The only time I have seen powder pink hull colouring as shown in earlier posts is one I witnessed in the late 80's as painted on our American built FFG Frigates of the RAN

The hull paint system was a multi coloured layers of Tributal Tin Oxide and also termed as a self polishing Co-Polymer.......so with the vessels sea time against water particulate erosion, the outer colour polished off leaving a different colour shade of paint showing.....this way at each docking, a simple requirement was water pressure & touch up the hull areas where the outer layer had been consumed. The painting system also greatly reduced the rate of underwater weed & crustation shell growth

The issue was that Tributal Tin Oxide was found to be castagenic

https://cfpub.epa.gov/ncea/iris/iris_documents/documents/toxreviews/0349tr.pdf

The other coloured shades used in the system were a light teal blue as the base coat, then the pink over that, then followed by Standard RAN hull coloured gray paint...so literally Blind Freddy {-) could see which areas needed repair

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RST

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2019, 12:38:29 am »

I've primed plenty of bits over the years in light pink primer on boats, never thought about the reason for the colour before.  Primer often zinc silver, light pink or a mustard-green colour, usually Jotun or International tins.  Antifoul (proper stuff, not now) used to be in some bright colours also -probably reflecting it was full of the not so nice stuff effective at keeping growth off.  Red top coat I guess even now weathers quite quick, back in the day I could guess a matt red maybe weathering to matt or pink relatively quickly in some light?

johndora

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2019, 10:16:23 am »

Interesting talk about red and red paint in the past could fade to pink owing to (I guess) UV rays. ...

But back to my question - where can I source the HS Tug drawings George mentioned that show the plating for the hull?  :-)

John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.