Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little tug  (Read 3974 times)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Little tug
« on: November 26, 2010, 11:49:51 pm »

Walked the dogs around Ardrossan Marina yard this pm while Mrs T was in ASDA. Saw this delightful little wee tug. I want one. Wouldn't be that hard to model, either - perhaps I should go back with a tape measure. She was about 12 paces long and 5 beam. The weathering might be a bit of a challenge, though! I still want one.

Mark47

Re: Little tug
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 12:35:46 am »

without that cabin that hull reminds me of something.

Side profile some thing like this. I just can't find it in my favorites list (NOTE TO SELF-too many, really need to sort them out)

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=FB11

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 11:14:08 am »

without that cabin that hull reminds me of something.

Banana? {-)

Bet that rocks like a bucking bronco in anything but a light swell- a hold on to the wheel and pray type vessel, though definitely fun!

Just needs a nice stem plant in it...

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 02:06:56 pm »

My guess is Netherlands origin with those lines.

Barry M

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 06:02:08 pm »

Some of the nicest desgins for small tugs I've seen are on the Glen-l.com web site for boat plans and self build kits.
  I recall they did a sixteen footer that looked easy to tow and launch, also a tug hulled cruiser with a double birth from memory.  Another one that'll have to wait for retirement I guess. House rennovation taking all my time lately, must remember to get on here more often!.
Mogs :-)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 06:12:29 pm »

Done some googling. She is the "Reiver" a Beaver class steel workboat, owned by coastworks.co.uk, based at Fairlie. Dimensions given as 8.6m x 3m x 1.4m. Some pictures of her on the water on their site. Now to see what I can find on beaver class workboats! See also jenkinsmarine.co.uk - there is a slightly updated version but dimensions quoted are the same.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 10:57:13 am »

Thought I recognised the lines of a Beaver. They used to be built here in Newhaven. I recall going on a quick trip around the harbour on the very first one built here in the mid 1960s. I was spending a day on the tug Meeching with my dad when this little thing pulled up alongside, so we all piled in. We thought it so small that it would be a 'toy' but it tunred out to be very manoueverable and had a bit of pull to it.

The OurNewhaven site has a page on it here: http://www.ournewhaven.org.uk/page_id__1374_path__0p69p87p63p.aspx

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Lord Bungle

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 11:30:44 am »

another one for you.
http://www.marineandgeneralshipbrokers.co.uk/wb101p.jpg
and this may be usefull although quality is a bit low http://www.jenkinsmarine.co.uk/pdfs/Beaver.pdf

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 05:01:33 pm »

I've just edited the above mentioned Our Newhaven page to make the photos larger. METREC, as mentioned in the comment was Metal Recoveries Ltd, based near Denton Island at Newhaven. Operated by local character (and I mean character!) Mike Newton Smith, it was a also a successful local salvage firm. The beavers were used in more than one salvage operation, to my knowledge.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 06:33:58 pm »

went down to the marina again the other day (without the dogs) but with tape and chalk, and took some measurements. Was lucky enough to see a bloke I know who fetched a ladder for me so I could see on top and inside. She could be an interesting project, as the cockpit is quite deep and extends so far forward that the motor and batteries may be difficult to locate without getting her too bow heavy. Will get a roll of lining paper after Christmas and start drawing at 3/4" and 1" to the foot. There's not much to the inside - there's a towing post in the middle of the cockpit, and a door to the engine room which is stuffed full of a ginormous Gardner diesel engine - presumably a close relative of the old London bus engine used in the X craft! I think Jenkins stress the manoeuverability - interestingly the rudder is not only balanced but also has a length of round bar welded down the after edge, to give the "extension by turbulence" we have seen debated on this forum before. But interesting to see it as a bar, rather than a piece of angle. Also see extremely simple but presumably effective rudder stop welded to botom of skeg. The 38" propellor may be a bit of a challenge - methinks a bit of gearing down from the motor may be needed but I will ask later if I get that far. However I must not get too enthusiastic yet - MUST finish the current project first!

Thank you all for your comments - I'll be visiting the sites referred to.

TugCowboy

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 04:15:09 pm »

I was wondering if this ever got down on paper? I'd love to give this little one a go for myself.

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.