Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Illustrious  (Read 1782 times)

tony52

HMS Illustrious
« on: November 28, 2010, 06:11:00 pm »

Having read the posts on HMS Invincible (coming up for sale by tender) and HMS Ark Royal (recently prematurely decommissioned), can someone advise as to what is happening to the Illustrious?
Is she being retained, will she have aircraft and if so what type, as the Harriers are facing the same fate as the Ark.

pugwash

Re: HMS Illustrious
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 06:33:41 pm »

I believe at this moment she is configured as a helicopter carrier and there are no plans to change this
nor for the Harriers to go back to sea again.
Geoff

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 06:54:33 pm »

Invincible has been little more than a hulk for years, being cannibalised for spares for the other two carriers.

Illustrious is currently under refit (in the North East I think) and there is a study going on to decide whether either she or HMS Ocean shouild be retained as a helicopter carrier. In view of the comments made about the condition of Ocean elsewhere on this Forum, her low speed and the fact that she was due to be decommissioned shortly anyway I hope that the choice will be Illustrious as. like the Ark, she has been upgraded fairly recentlly but given recent defence decisions one has to wonder if they are capable of making the right one. Ocean was due to have been replaced with a more effective vessel but this will never happen now.

Incidentally, there was a report in the papers this weekend that. as a result of the Defence Review, the RAF will have almost excactly the same number of fast jets as Sweden in future, way down the European rankings.

Colin

pugwash

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 07:31:44 pm »

Yes Colin I saw that report in the Sunday Times today about the RAF, by 2015 we will have 120 front line jets
compared to  NEUTRAL Sweden having 121 that really shows how far we have come in the wrong direction.
Geoff

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 08:06:02 pm »

Which of the Invincible class ships is in Rosyth Dockyard at the moment ?
..well can you land on this?

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 08:12:01 pm »

Thats Illustrious having one of her final refits , Ark is in Portsmouth to pay off I think and Invincible hasn't moved for years and the next time she does it will be under tow to the breakers yard
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 08:24:30 pm »

Thanks Davie :-))
..well can you land on this?

triumphjon

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 08:45:58 pm »

the ark is on the high seas until friday the 3rd december , when she is due home for the last time !  <:( the time of her arrival is yet to be confirmed !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 24 queries.