Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AKULA II LOWER HULL COLOR  (Read 2060 times)

REDDEVIL

AKULA II LOWER HULL COLOR
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:34:37 pm »

As I'm progressing in my SCALE SHIPS AKULA II, final painting is one of the next things to come. Plans gives black for upper hull and red for lower, but I've seen some pics of other modern russian subs with lower hull also painted in black or very dark grey. Any suggestion?

Regards from Madrid.
Juan Carlos.

50mm

Re: AKULA II LOWER HULL COLOR
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 09:58:42 am »

oxidised red is the base of the hulls colour, under the water line so to speak, modern subs have a different set of colours now for camouflage reasons the older subs used  basic ship colours. if your unsure try to locate a photo of the original sub and go from there, at the end of the day its your choice, personally i would go for a deep grey under the water line and a black for the top but thats me

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: AKULA II LOWER HULL COLOR
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 03:12:09 pm »

Hi,
Some of the newest russian subs going down the slips appear to be a bright red below the waterline from the halfway point downwards. Looking at some of the russian subs being broken up, this seems to deteriorate to a dirty brown with barnacles! As far as the upper colour is concerned, I find black straight out of the tin a little too 'severe' and usually add a bit of brown or gray to it.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.