Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: NASA set to announce "astrobiology finding"  (Read 6929 times)

Dekan

Re: NASA set to announce "astrobiology finding"
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 05:03:42 pm »

Hmm, I'm not sure that I agree DG... But if manage to survive without oil... the up side maybe that the west can stop pandering to the more extreme Arab oil states.

Gaddafi is reported to have said that Al Qaeda were misguided... as the islam was going to out breed all the other religions..I'm not sure that I would like living under sharia law..There probably something against model boats in there somewhere ok2

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 08:30:42 pm »

(Late Roman Empipre) Humanity survived, and actually did rather well...

So the deaths of millions during the Justinian (and other) plagues, the numerous wars and barbarian invasions, the plunging of Europe into a tribal, brutal Dark Age, and the near-complete eradication of Roman technology and culture was "doing rather well"?  :o

You read history in a very different way to me.

Andy

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

pugwash

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 10:32:56 pm »

Andy I think this is one subject that we are all NOT going to agree on until we run out of fuel food and water.
Gwoff

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 10:54:41 pm »

So the deaths of millions during the Justinian (and other) plagues, the numerous wars and barbarian invasions, the plunging of Europe into a tribal, brutal Dark Age, and the near-complete eradication of Roman technology and culture was "doing rather well"?  :o

You read history in a very different way to me.

Indeed. Few modern historians now consider the 'Dark Ages' to be a time of cultural and economic deterioration - that term was invented during the Renaissance to stress the advances being made in their 'modern' era. And plagues hardly started because of the Roman collapse - Hans Zinsser's 'Rats, Lice and History' gives an enthralling record of humanity's battle with plague, smallpox and typhoid going back to pre-classical times...

For Simon's hypothesis to be true, the broad sweep of history has to show advance. Of course there will be local reverses - our two recent World Wars are an example. But broadly, life in 1000 was better than life in 500, life in 1500 better still, and so on. Why we like to think (totally erroneously) that civilisation is on an environmental knife-edge beats me. You would have thought that the constant failed predictions of disaster throughout the ages would have ceased by now. But so long as environmentalists have grants, the dire warnings seem to keep coming...

Incidentally, I suspect we have wandered far from the original topic. But for the life of me, I can't remember what it was....

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 11:02:01 pm »

Andy I think this is one subject that we are all NOT going to agree on until we run out of fuel food and water.
Gwoff

...or port.

I have just finished my last bottle of pre-christmas LBV, and I must admit that civilisation DOES look a lot bleaker at the moment.....

Dekan

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2010, 11:57:00 pm »

...or port.

I have just finished my last bottle of pre-christmas LBV, and I must admit that civilisation DOES look a lot bleaker at the moment.....

I think we were talking about how money corrupts the objectivity of scientists...Yes we are still on topic :-))
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.