Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: That white stuff.  (Read 2351 times)

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
That white stuff.
« on: December 03, 2010, 09:12:07 pm »

Hi Mayhemers,

Intrigued by the news report that they have shifted 100,000 tonnes of snow at Gatwick Airport, I wondered how much snow was in our garden.

I filled a 500ml measuring cylinder with some snow, making a point to keep it at the same density and not to pack it down, then, after it had melted, I was was left with 80ml of water. Knowing the depth of the snow at 381mm (15inches) and the approximate 25x25 metre size of the back garden, this gave me a figure of 38 tonnes.

On that basis, the front drive, at a rough estimate (I'm going out to measure it this weather!), must have about 15 tonnes laying on it! -  I think I shall let it melt.

I've told my wife and now she's worried that the roof might collapse!

Ian.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: That white stuff.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 04:16:54 am »

38 + 15 tons!!!! ... but it looks so delicate and light... from inside a warm house... and you don't have to go out in it!  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

wibplus

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 11:07:54 am »

Do you have too much time on your hands ???   {-)  {-)  %%

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 11:18:15 am »

People do tend to underestimate the weight of snow.Before submitting plans for a flat roofed extention.I had to pay for a
structional calculation to prove the roof could withstand six feet of snow. John

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 12:56:15 pm »

Hi wibplus,

I'm waiting for the 2 inches of ice to melt on my boat test pond to test run my new vertical boiler - so I got bored and the old mind started wandering - perhaps a case of "cabin fever"!

Ian

regiment

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 01:14:40 pm »

here in perranporth cornwall snow now all gone it is now pouring with  rain and  not cold

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 10:46:54 pm »

Some 50 years ago....my dear old dad  O0 drove my elder brother & I to Mount Kosciusko.....& it was the night before the snow.....it was BLOODY cold...... <:(...we had to light the fire to melt the ice to refil the Holden's radiator....then with the left over warm water melt the ice on the cars windows

I remember we had toast & Vegimite & a cup of warm Milo for breakfast...... %% {-) O0 :kiss: ....thanks Dad...........................Derek.....it was BLOODY cold
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 11:50:04 pm »

...you know its cold when you come home from ice hockey at the park and its -15 F and your feet are so sore in the house, your Mum says stand out in the snow in your bare feet, it won't hurt as much, and it doesn't , the snow is warmer than your feet, true story. Moral of the story, hmmm, climate change, have fun lads, no snow in Torbay and off to the pond in the AM.

RRS01

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 05:50:43 am »

Come on now, we're in the midst of GLOBAL WARMING!!   ;)  Al gore distinctly said that the 'white stuff' is a thing of the past!!   ;D  It's obviously mass hallucination brought on by the proximity of the holiday formerly known as Christmas!!   {:-{ 

I suggest that you refrain from any further discussion of this 'alleged' white stuff before Al gore dispatches his 'weather police' henchmen to your prospective areas to round you all up and send every one of you to reeducation camps where you'll come  to embrace  :} the fact that there is NO MORE WHITE STUFF!!   <*<   %)  and confess your complicity in causing ALL the polar bears to drown!!   <*< <*<  %%  and causing the sea levels to rise!!    >>:-(  %%

{-) {-) {-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 08:16:15 am »

I forgot to mention, on Tuesday, it was so cold here in 'sunny; Peterboro' that I drove off and the glass fell out of my wing mirror!

.... but it wasn't this cold!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 08:38:33 am »

Al Gore`s mob are attending to that problem as we speak...
..well can you land on this?

Timo2

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 09:31:31 am »

Ah RED OKTOBER with guard Bears       :police: :police: :police:

Timo2     :-))

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 09:53:07 am »

Well spotted Timo, filmed entirely within the Highland Wildlife Park, Kincraig.  Featuring resident bears Mercedes, Walker and an unknown visitor. {-) {-) {-)
..well can you land on this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.