Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shelec sandind sealer  (Read 2385 times)

hover tim

shelec sandind sealer
« on: December 04, 2010, 08:46:50 am »

i have just got some of this but i am not sure how to apply it do i use a paint brush or do i use something elese also does this type of sealer react with halfords primers and paints?

Bugsy

Re: shelec sandind sealer
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 08:51:51 am »

I don't know about that particular make Tim but generally it does not react with modern acrylics.

slap it on with a brush and let it dry for at least 48 hours, lightly sand, then apply the primer.

You could always test it on a piece of scrap wood first.

Hope this helps.
Gary.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 09:53:45 am »

Shellac Sanding Sealer is normally used after sanding to seal the grain before applying polish or beeswax.
It can be applied with a brush or rag.
Brushes can be cleaned with methylated spirit.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 10:17:34 am »

Shellac is a natural resin material from the Lac bug and, as Ned says, can be applied with either brush or rag. It gives a very hard finish which is easily sanded to a very smooth surface. Once dry you can apply just about any paint you like. It is brittle so maybe not suitable for any sufface which is likely to be flexed, not usually a problem with model boats.

It is very good for sealing wood and I also use it to seal gumstrip paper on my models, never had a problem with it.

Colin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 11:47:36 am »

http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/products/wood-finishes/sealers-and-primers/shellac-sanding-sealer.htm

Hope you got it at the old price  :-)) :-))

Crop failure = shortage of Lac beetle food = not so many baby Lacs = not many shells = lack of shellac = hike in price   %% %% %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

boat captain

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 11:54:40 am »

Hi

It can also be used for sealing knots in timber before painting, to stop them bleeding through your finish coats.

Joe  :-)) :-))

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 11:59:16 am »

Why use shellac based ? Cellulose sanding sealer is better!, more chemical resistant,more flexible,easier to use and waterproof , shellac dissolves in water....quickly in alkaline water so shelac painted things are no good easpecialy near seawater as its alkaline

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 12:54:01 pm »

Why use shellac based ? Cellulose sanding sealer is better!, more chemical resistant,more flexible,easier to use and waterproof , shellac dissolves in water....quickly in alkaline water so shelac painted things are no good easpecialy near seawater as its alkaline

I don't think it's being suggested that the sealer should not receive a surface finish. I used shellac sealer on gumstrip for one of my models years ago and it withstood five years of intense regatta use before being retired and the hull is as good as new. Cellulose sanding sealer is fine although I don't think it sands down quite as well as shellac but that's just my personal view.

Many modern ,materials are better than their traditional counterparts but it isn't always necessarily the case as we are discovering with water based paints for domestic use and on vehicles.

Colin

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 02:43:04 pm »

I have used a cellulose sanding sealer on one of  my  models and the paint job is now starting to crack. I have used shellac and painted over with enamel based paints with no problems at all. Tim two good  coats should do the trick rubbed down between each coat then halfords primer over this. All the wood parts on my carrier are sealed this way one other model is sealed with shellac and painted over with tamiya paints no problems found.

Stan Reffin

Kirklees Model Boat Club :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.