Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New build-Club 500 class  (Read 25600 times)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: New build-Club 500 class
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 10:29:09 am »

1. im not a trader (yet) so dont see the need to put it in the traders section
2. this is the 1st club iv joined and they asked me,and i just added my input.
As it stands at the minute im a hobbyist who enjoys designing and building my own hulls,and i didnt state it was just for our club,all i said was our club wanted to have their own 500 series.
This to me is a bit of a challenge and somthing else to do,also i started this thread to get some feed back and see what others thought it.
Rgds Daz

Good luck with your venture, a faster cheap one make should do well.

Peter

F1 madness

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 11:56:09 am »

Cheers pete
Will see how it goes 8)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 12:52:50 pm »

No problem Peter thanks for clearing that up  ok2,guess i missunderstood what you were saying my appologies  :}.

F1 madness

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 05:12:06 pm »

Just finished the hatch,all it leaves now is to final sand everything do abit of filling and get it sealed ready for glasscloth.

F1 madness

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 05:29:56 pm »

Post arrived with another motor,but not sure if it will cut it.
450 Heli 2415-07T Brushless Motor 3850kv

Which 1 you guys think mmm

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 07:16:26 pm »

If you want an honest opinion, the upperworks lack something, looks too small in comparison to the hull size. perhaps a rear spoiler or something to help balance  things up?
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

knoby

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 09:38:50 pm »

I have thought for a while that there was room for a more modern 'club class' of racing boat, utilising the modern advancement in motor & battery technology. Whilst club 500 is great fun, it can be a little like watching paint dry sometimes & I personally feel that faster boats would make  it considerably more interesting, without increasing the overall cost by much. It would also provide a stepping stone to the faster classes of electric racing by giving an insight into the technology involved & giving competitors experience of setting up models with surface drive, brushless motors & lipo's. Although there is an 'Eco' class, the costs involved in building a competitive boat seem far from 'Eco' in price, & if these boats could constructed for the right price, I feel sure there would be a great deal of intrest in them.
i am so pleased someone has taken up the challenge of building something & wish you the best of luck with the venture

Cheers Glenn.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 10:42:21 pm »

I agree totally, perhaps its time that club racing had a different "slant" as no doubts there is a lot of standard "club 500" users who would like that "bit extra" now, especially after how many years of racing the same boat now.
How many people said that the earth was flat and you could fall off the edge if you went too far away. How many people mocked the invention of the electric light bulb, but where would we be without it now?
things and designs move on every day, but it takes believers to keep the determination going to see it through.....

keep goin' Daz !
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

F1 madness

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2010, 09:59:14 am »

Hey guys,iv only seen 1 of the slipway 500s,and to say the least it was abit boring watch LOL
But then when the chairman mentioned starting there own class for this newly setup club and asked me what i thought,i thought it was a great idea and time for me to design and build somthing more modern running the lastest brushless and lipo set ups as thats all i run now anyway + the fact im abit of a speed freak LOL.
I wanted to keep the 500mm size hull as the pool we run on aint the biggest and the bigger hulls i build soon cover it very quickly.
Im confident once iv tried and tested it and started looking at moulding it will be alot of fun,The setup iv chosen should give long efficient run times with some decent speed to add that fun factor aswell as being  fun competitive racing.
The way i see it,RC boats,planes cars etc should be fun and enjoyable,and this is what im hoping will happen/trying to achieve.
Rgds Daz

F1 madness

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2010, 10:10:16 am »

Here we go,iv mounted the hardware
I still cant decide which motor to run,but thinking the watercooled inrunner will be the best 1.
Heres some pics:

Gonna make a mount to hold the servo in the sponson

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2010, 11:06:03 am »

How far out does the rudder post sit Daz? Im a little concerned if the boat was hit from behind by another boat, whilst racing, it could easily wipe it out.
how substantial is the mounting and the rudder?

Don't forget, you have to remember it will be in the water with several other boats, so contact AND  damage is likely to occur and the last thing we want is stranded boats with the rudders knocked off, especially with the shaping of the bow caps.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

F1 madness

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2010, 11:42:54 am »

Hey bud,these are strong little units,and accidents are going to happen its racing.
From the transom to the rear edge of the rudder is 75mm.also once moulded in fibreglass i will reinforce the transom with 4mm birch ply for added strength.
This is how surface drives run and will be fine.
Daz

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2010, 02:19:59 pm »

Daz once your happy with the design if you make a top plug and a bottom one so the top fits on like a shoebox it will make joining them so easy using any good sealant,that way you could even offer them unjoined so people can easily fit the gear first then glue the tops on later.I could have a set of moulds done for you in no time m8 along with a cpl of hulls for you to test :-)).
Mart

F1 madness

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2010, 03:18:54 pm »

Cheers mart,will get in touch soon bud.
looking forward to seeing how this little 1 will do %) %)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2010, 04:49:50 pm »

Im sure it will do just fine   :-)),your only problem will be finding a lake thats not frozen  :}.
Mart

F1 madness

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2010, 05:27:25 pm »

it will be a while i think before they defrost   >>:-(

steamboatbob

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2010, 01:35:25 pm »

oops im drooling again

srry i love small fast boats ill put an order in for 1 or 2 when they are ready daz

but i would have to go with martins idea of having them in 2 halves shipping would also be a little cheaper as box size would come into play

im thinking a 4000 kv inrunner with a x430 prop would do nicely on 7.4 lipo you could possibly get away with a 35 amp esc from hk

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2010, 01:49:56 pm »

If you do them in two halves you can get two boats in one box,i did this with a 46" deep vee managed to get 3 in the one box  :o lol

gwa84

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2010, 04:11:17 pm »

hu bud could you post a link to wher you got the motor and esc from as ime looking for a set the same size and the price seems resonable thanks  :-))

F1 madness

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2010, 06:17:42 pm »

oops im drooling again

srry i love small fast boats ill put an order in for 1 or 2 when they are ready daz

but i would have to go with martins idea of having them in 2 halves shipping would also be a little cheaper as box size would come into play

im thinking a 4000 kv inrunner with a x430 prop would do nicely on 7.4 lipo you could possibly get away with a 35 amp esc from hk

Hey steamboatbob,once sorted out i will probably will keep them in 2 halfs,also hoping to do the tops in different colours but gotta see what the expert says.
That set up sounds sweet,but iv 3600kv inrunner,31mm prop and 60amp esc,gonna run it on 2s to start with then just to see how it really goes im gonna do a run on 3s and see what it will do LOL

If you do them in two halves you can get two boats in one box,i did this with a 46" deep vee managed to get 3 in the one box  :o lol

Cool,i need to talk to you anyhows so i know what i need to do.

Cheers guys
Daz

F1 madness

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2010, 06:18:35 pm »

Well not got much done today,but got a small piece of brass tube epoxied in,this will be finished of and will be moulded with the rest of the hull,leaving only a small hole to be drilled to pass the stuffing tube through then on the mold just fill around the stuffing with epoxy and that will seal and hold it place,rather than cutting a slot and maybe messing up the gel coat,just thought it would make it a little easier on the builder.
The tube used is the id as the od on the stuffing tube.

I used the watercooled mount and the inrunner to line up and get it where it clears the hatch,but ths way either inrunner or outrunner can be used with out having any issues or moving the mounted etc.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2010, 08:37:10 pm »

I see you had the same problem with the Chinese watercooled mounts I got two like you the wide and narrow the sides are just not long enough to be easily epoxied in to the hull, I think they where for a V hull they must have been producing and they just kept making them, they are also a pain to adjust angle if you fit bolts in stead of hex heads in the sides you can adjust easy with a small spanner if you need to in the future.but with your hatch being wide you should not have to much trouble

peter

F1 madness

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2010, 08:41:42 pm »

Hey pete,yeah not thee not tall enough but never mind,i might make some new 1s if i can find where to get carbon sheet.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2010, 09:35:32 pm »

Hi mate for moulding you need to first decide how your going to join the two parts,my advice would be shoebox as its quick easy and strong.Also you can then offer different coloured tops and bottoms etc,keep it simple  :-)).What you need to do is make the top plug bigger than the hull itself so it overlaps about 1/8" all the way round,fix each plug to a board then when moulded it creates a flange on the mould which makes the mould stronger etc.The other way is make them a seamless join this is more dificult to do as a parting dam needs making arround the hull where the halves will be joined then mould one half then leaving the  mould on the hull its flipped and you mould the other half which creates a perfect  oposite mould and you will then be able to join the two halves in the moulds with a resin bog which when you pop the parts leaves a thin line of resin which needs removing and smoothing over.Then you will need to glass the seam inside also,much more work and too much for such a cost effective budget project maybe?.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2010, 09:54:35 pm »

try the top one I used them some years ago for car chassies and as you only want small pieces it mat be cheap

http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/departments/carbon-fibre-sheet.aspx

Peter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 23 queries.