Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RNLI Severn repairing & sorting: misc Q's  (Read 2970 times)

UserError

RNLI Severn repairing & sorting: misc Q's
« on: December 06, 2010, 01:19:10 pm »

Hello,
Not sure if this should go in the RTR conversions but I'm new to RC boats, having been skirting round the edges for some while.  I have just acquired a Severn for my daughter who has always wanted one but not old enough till now....when you cant buy them new!

Anyway, this one has some faults (despite being described as "a good example".  Harrumph) and I would appreciate any help in rectifying these:

The deck edge has cracked over about 7cm & the outer edge is missing for 35mm, going in beyond the water seal.  Question is - what glue to repair the cracks - is the model styrene?  If so, nice & easy.  I have attached a pic, somewhat blurry but the damaged can still be seen.

I was hoping to rebuild the missing section with epoxy filler stuff (would have thought the grey stuff used by Phil in his conversion would suit (http://www.philsrcmodels.co.uk/images/graphics/babysevern003.jpg) - can anyone advise on something suitable?

I was intending in the medium term to convert it properly, but now propelled into it immediately (before Christmas) and have a few Q's about the process:
Can I run 2 motors from 1 ESC?  We're looking at small motors for a reasonably sedate pace for my nipper although a bit of improvement over standard would be OK.
With a view to keeping the weight down and being on a budget, can I do better than a 6xsubC from a buggy?  If I use AAs will the run time be too short?

Any help is would be very gratefully received.
Thanks
J

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
Re: RNLI Severn repairing & sorting: misc Q's
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 03:15:57 pm »

Yes the deck is styrene so repair is simple. When you do your conversion you can use milliput for the re-moulding/sealing of parts.
Yes you can use one esc with two motors.

Here is my conversion of the same boat to be an Arun class!  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23842.0

I use a small pack of 9 AA Duracell dry batteries and she goes very well as seen in my garden test tank. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS3W54yha7s

I get bored before the batteries run down!

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 04:36:57 pm »

If only you'd put this on last weekend, I was in Herstmonceux visiting my brother-in-law couple of miles away!  {:-{ I've got a deck if you want it? Was going to rebuild boat with better parts but managed damage the superstructure. It's not too hard to replace, all the bits will come off the damaged one you've got easily enough, just stick them on this one. Reconnect the two wires underneath and you're away. If you send me your address in a personal message I'll get it off to you if you like? Cheers, Dave.  :-))

UserError

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:43:58 pm »

Thanks chaps.
Mike,  I had seen your excellent conversion* & liked the look of your motor setup too.  I have heard of milliput - now is the time to explore!

Thanks for your input on the ESC Q.

Could I trouble you for advice on the motors:

I had wondered about a cheap pair of 6v 9600rpm motors (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160506362005&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT), they should probably cope with 7.2v for a while.  Many of the small motors have 15000+rpm, which I would have though would lead to cavitation.  9600 seemed fast enough without being OTT or do I need lots of revs?

What have you used to connect the propshafts to the motors? - they don't look like the posh couplings I've seen online....
I'll make up a rechargeable pack of AAs following your comments on the Duracells.

Dave, I've got to get some milliput anyway for the propshaft etc, so I'll have a stab at rebuilding the edge, but may well take you up on your offer.  Will send PM.
Once again, thanks for your help.
Thanks
Jonathan

*BTW when I was somewhat younger, we were nearly SUNK by one of the first Aruns - we were off Littlehampton in a lumpy sea & it roared past a little way off (on reflection probably out of Osborne's as I'm not sure LH ever had one stationed there, only Blue Peter 1 I think).  Its wash combined badly with the waves to make steep seas which towered over our 20 footer.  I can still remember this quite clearly over quarter of a century later.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 12:14:19 am »

Could I trouble you for advice on the motors:

I had wondered about a cheap pair of 6v 9600rpm motors (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160506362005&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT), they should probably cope with 7.2v for a while.  Many of the small motors have 15000+rpm, which I would have though would lead to cavitation.  9600 seemed fast enough without being OTT or do I need lots of revs?

They are the type I use and are happy at 9 volts for a short while as most of the time I just let it run around at 1/2 throttle to look scale like in performance.

What have you used to connect the propshafts to the motors? - they don't look like the posh couplings I've seen online....

The "posh" couplings I use are two old bits of small bore silicone fuel tube from the bits box that are a tight push fit on the motors and the 2mm prop shafts.

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

UserError

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 01:51:59 pm »

Mike,
You're a star.
I was thinking that 2 x 380 motors were a bt OTT (at least in cost terms) for this build at the moment, so this is good news.

Again relieved that UJ's & inserts not needed.  I had just been experimenting with the insulation from 2.5mm T&E cable....

I very much appreciate your assistance.
Regards
Jonathan

rathikrishna

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 11:31:12 am »

Friends..thanks...for the discussion...

UserError

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 09:20:56 pm »

Rathi,
Thanks for your posts - liked the stuff about ESCs especially.

I'm still waiting for some bits for this (luckily my daughter opened the box, couldn't play with it and moved on to the next present - we'll enjoy it properly after the Christmas chaos and finish it together).  Maybe the pond will have thawed by then...

Cheers
J

rathikrishna

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 12:24:27 pm »

Nice...

UserError

Re: RNLI Severn repairing & sorting: Progress
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 09:37:27 pm »

At last, found a bit of time to make some progress on this.

I had managed to get the rudders installed before Christmas but other things got in the way....

My Daughter & I removed all the deck fittings to be transplanted onto the deck from No.6.  She successfully ground away many of the dibbles that held the fittings to the deck. Now to glue them onto the new deck.

Hopefully get the propshafts sorted soon.  A pair arrived yesterday but they were bent somewhat.  These are the light duty ones from Hobbys/RadioActive - the shafts are such thin rod- is it possible for them to be straight?  If not, how much benditure* is acceptable?

Jonathan
*I know it's not a word but I liked it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.