Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lake Superior facts  (Read 8958 times)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Lake Superior facts
« on: December 06, 2010, 04:55:07 pm »

Some interesting facts on Lake Superior. This is the most upstream lake on the Great Lakes chain and has the Canada - US border down its middle (more or less). Pretty Amazing... I didn't realize how big this lake was!

John

LAKE SUPERIOR FACTS

·   Lake Superior contains ten percent of all the fresh water on the planet Earth.

·  It covers 82,000 square kilometers or 31,700 square miles.

·  The average depth is 147 meters or 483 feet.

·  There have been about 350 shipwrecks recorded in Lake Superior .

·  Lake Superior is, by surface area, the largest lake in the world.

·  A Jesuit priest in 1668 named it Lac Tracy, but that name was never officially adopted.

·  It contains as much water as all the other Great Lakes combined, plus three extra Lake Erie's!!

·  There is a small outflow from the lake at St. Mary's River (Sault Ste Marie) into Lake Huron, but it takes almost two centuries for the water to be completely replaced.

·  There is enough water in Lake Superior to cover all of North and South America with water one  foot deep.

·  Lake Superior was formed during the last glacial retreat, making it one of the earth's youngest major features at only about 10,000 years old.

·  The deepest point in the lake is 405 meters or 1,333 feet.

·  There are 78 different species of fish that call the big lake home.

·  The maximum wave ever recorded on Lake Superior was 9.45 meters or 31 feet high.

·  If you stretched the shoreline of Lake Superior out to a straight line, it would be long enough to reach from Duluth to the Bahamas.

·  Over 300 streams and rivers empty into Lake Superior with the largest source being the Nipigon River .

·  The average underwater visibility of Lake Superior is about 8 meters or 27 feet, making it the cleanest and clearest of the Great Lakes. Underwater  visibility in some spots reaches 30 meters.

·  In the summer, the sun sets more than 35 minutes later on the western shore of Lake Superior than at its southeastern edge.

·  Some of the world's oldest rocks, formed about 2.7 billion years ago, can be found on the Ontario shore of Lake Superior.

·  It very rarely freezes over completely, and then usually just for a few hours.  Complete freezing occurred in 1962, 1979, 2003 and 2009.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
Re: Lake Superior facts
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 05:55:41 pm »

Fascinating John! That's a lot of wrecks in there.

·  There is a small outflow from the lake at St. Mary's River (Sault Ste Marie) into Lake Huron, but it takes almost two centuries for the water to be completely replaced.

Just as a comparison- Windermere, Britains largest lake, has a replenishment rate of around 4 years! Pails in comparison to 200 years...

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 06:43:31 pm »

Most Famous must be the Big Fitz
The Ore Carrier Edmund Fitzgerald
Lost with all hands (27 I think)
Song sung by Gordon Lightfoot

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

meyer

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 07:47:49 pm »

Posted by: gondolier88

"Just as a comparison- Windermere, Britains largest lake, has a replenishment rate of around 4 years! Pails in comparison to 200 years..."

WOW

when did that happen  ;) ;)

AREA mi²)                     Volume (km³)           Length (km)            Max. depth (m)↓
Lough Neagh    Northern Ireland    147.87                            3.528                        30                    25    
Loch Lomond    Scotland                    27.45                           2.6                                36                  190
Loch Ness         Scotland                  21.78                               7.45                              39                      230
Upper Loch Erne Northern Ireland     13.3                                <0.35                            19                     <60

then way down the list
Windermere         England                  5.69

Windermere is however the largest Lake in England

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 08:09:23 pm »

Here's a map of Lake Superior for information.

John

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:15:39 pm »

:embarrassed: ahem of course I mean England - although being from the other side of the border I'd have thought you'd have gone to great pains to point out the larger ones in Britain are in fact Lochs not lakes :-))

Greg

One of the better known disasters however doesn't pail into insignificance- around the mid 1700's the then Windermere ferry- a large flat bottomed rowing boat, around 30ft long and 8ft beam, was lost with a compliment of over 50 passengers in a storm mid lake- brought into the local culture as the whole boat was a wedding party including the newly weds. Very sad (though of course any loss of life on the water is).

I bet you still see stupid people on Superior in tiny inflateables miles from the shore and no lifejacket on!!

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 08:41:12 pm »

Almost as big as the Irish Sea.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

dave301bounty

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 08:44:17 pm »

Fasinating ,that map ,I was on an old Stag boat ,a laker sent up to Deluth ,and amogst a load was boxes of pelts ,what fasinated me was the journey from Ontario up the lakes ,and passing Chicago ,and of course ,doing what we shouldnt ,filling our fresh water tanks with the best .I did three trips up the lakes ,on the old Gloxinia from newcastle ,happy times ,cold ,very cold ,but happy .

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 09:02:11 pm »

Hmmm, Wawa home of the famous goose, but not a good spot to hitchhike from, makes me homesick.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 10:18:06 pm »

Some pics of some Superior sights:
The Wawa Canada Goose - commemerates the completion of the Tranns Canada Highway in the early sixties. Until this time there was no complet road across Canada.
Quimet Canyon (pron.: Weemet Canyon) a fault area between Red Rock and Thunder Bay on the north shore of Superior.
DM&IR ore docks at Two Harbours, Minnesota. The tug is an original preserved DM&IR tug.
The first Nations name for Superior - Gitchee-Goomi
John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 10:19:03 pm »

Hmmm, Wawa home of the famous goose, but not a good spot to hitchhike from, makes me homesick.

Got that right...........you could be waiting there a day or two.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 10:23:03 pm »

And just in case you wondered where Winnie of "Winnie the Pooh came from. It was right here, in the northern town of White River, located on the Trans Canada Highway on the north shore of Superior.
  White river, for many years, has held the record as the coldest spot in Canada.

John

Tombsy

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 12:05:42 am »

Don't forget the "Sleeping Giant"  :-)
I grew up in Thunder Bay and we made a trip back this past summer. My wife had never been there, she got to pick amethyst, try a Finnish sauna, and have pancakes at the Hoito.
The ore docks reminded me of my young (and foolish) days on the railway, riding the end of the cars on the way up the dock with three engines taking a running start to get up.

Fort William

The Bayfield in Duluth.

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 11:25:39 am »

Hi,

My brother-in-law had a supperb 19th book detailing the 1812 Royal Navy battles with the USA navy on Lake Superior with minute-by-minute accounts and charts; during the same period the American "pirates" used their French bases to capture about 1500 British ships in the Eastern Atlantic (thank God the Germans were on our side!).

This was before the "special" relationship between the USA and Britain.

Ian.

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 12:35:31 pm »

Hi John,

Winnie the Pooh came from Ashdown Forest, East Sussex in England. Pooh Bridge is still there and the Hundred Acre Wood.

See; http://www.ashdownforest.org/pooh/winnie_the_pooh.php

Ian

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 05:30:52 pm »

Hi John,

Winnie the Pooh came from Ashdown Forest, East Sussex in England. Pooh Bridge is still there and the Hundred Acre Wood.

See; http://www.ashdownforest.org/pooh/winnie_the_pooh.php

Ian

Better recheck the history. The bear that was named Winnie came from White River, Ontario. The bear was a cub at the time, its mother having been shot by a local hunter. A Lieutenant in the Canadian Army, on the move to Europe in WW1, was passing through White River at the time. He purchased the bear and took it to England as the regiment mascot. From there Milne used the bear as his inspiration for the Winnie the Pooh series.
 There was a movie made of the bear and its history, plus the statue and history shown White River. You can glean more information from Wikpedia and White River history.

John

History of Winnie the Pooh: 
   http://www.just-pooh.com/history.html
   http://www.canadacool.com/COOLFACTS/ONTARIO/WhiteRiverWinnie.html
 The Wikipedia excerpt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie-the-Pooh

Christopher Milne had named his toy bear after Winnie, a Canadian black bear which he often saw at London Zoo, and "Pooh", a swan they had met while on holiday. The bear cub was purchased from a hunter for $20 by Canadian Lieutenant Harry Colebourn in White River, Ontario, Canada, while en route to England during the First World War. He named the bear "Winnie" after his hometown in Winnipeg, Manitoba. "Winnie" was surreptitiously brought to England with her owner, and gained unofficial recognition as The Fort Garry Horse regimental mascot. Colebourne left Winnie at the London Zoo while he and his unit were in France; after the war she was officially donated to the zoo, as she had become a much loved attraction there.[3] Pooh the swan appears as a character in its own right in When We Were Very Young.

In the first chapter of Winnie-the-Pooh, Milne offers this explanation of why Winnie-the-Pooh is often called simply "Pooh":

"But his arms were so stiff ... they stayed up straight in the air for more than a week, and whenever a fly came and settled on his nose he had to blow it off. And I think — but I am not sure — that that is why he is always called Pooh."

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 06:20:00 pm »

.... and also .... Christopher Robin was in the same British Army Division (56th London)  as my father  in WW2 and served in Iraq (Kirkuk) , North Africa and Italy.

Ian.

meyer

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 06:22:42 pm »

hush hush
whisper who dares
little boy sits at the foot of the stairs
fur on his hands blood on the mat
Christopher Robins castrated the cat

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 06:26:44 pm »

Hi John,

Yes, you're quite correct, the real Winnie was from Canada, but we've still got Pooh Bridge where Pooh "sticks" were played and Hundred Acre Wood.
(friendly banter).

Its amazing how this Lake Superior thread is "fleshing out" - where will it go next!

Ian.

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 07:20:17 pm »

...sshh don't tell them we invented the telephone either, first long distance telephone call was from Brantford, ontario to Paris, Ontario, some 10 odd miles as the crow flies, albeit Alexander Graham Bell was an ex-pat :-))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invention_of_the_telephone

Do you have a picture of the Nickel at Sudbury?

Nordsee

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 07:54:39 pm »

Just a thought, it has been proven that 42% of the "Facts" given in Wikipedia are incomplete or wrong. It is, after all, just a collection of Opinions by contributors. When I read the account of the Suez war in 1956 I wondered what happened to the Action I was in at the time, as it bore little resemblance to my experiences, apart from the date and place.

Tombsy

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 08:11:31 pm »

I haven't been to Sudbury since I was a kid, but I found a pic of a postcard.
You could travel across Canada and just visit the "big" things.
Geese, hockey sticks, fish, bears, all kinds of stuff.
http://www.roadsideattractions.ca/tch.htm

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 08:34:43 pm »

Bell was born in Edinburgh , Scotland.  Just to be accurate, nowhere near Windermere . <*<
..well can you land on this?

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 09:22:03 pm »

Just a thought, it has been proven that 42% of the "Facts" given in Wikipedia are incomplete or wrong. It is, after all, just a collection of Opinions by contributors. When I read the account of the Suez war in 1956 I wondered what happened to the Action I was in at the time, as it bore little resemblance to my experiences, apart from the date and place.

We don't need to go to Wikipedia for the info. It just happened to be quick to hand for the moment. Its been well documented elsewhere.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 09:27:32 pm »

Texans talk of that state being big, it takes three driving days to go across Ontario, unless, of course, you like to do 24 hours a day.
  For example: the square miles of the following :
Texas       261, 914 Sq, Miles
Ontario     415, 600 Sq Miles
Great Britain  80, 823 Sq Miles

John
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.