Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:72 scale HMS RODNEY refit  (Read 49148 times)

Yarpie

Re: 1:72 scale HMS RODNEY refit
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 11:37:28 am »

The baseplate hole was then repaired and the turret buttoned up.

Just have to apply filler to the gaps in the join and respray prior to camouflage painting.

Never worry about doing a 'mod' on a model. Once its completed you wonder what all the apprehension was about. 8)

Yarpie

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 11:44:34 am »

All turrets and barrels in line now.

The Walrus ("Shagbat") is perched on its catapult atop 'X' turret. For the more astute of you, she is in British Pacific livery. The bolts either side of 'X' turret on the bulkhead hold both sections of the model together. This arrangement proves to be 100% watertight even after four or five hours on the water. The only times that there appears to be water ingress is after prolonged spells of going astern. This tends to force small amounts of water up the prop shaft tubes and into the stern section. But not enough to be a problem. The prop shafts are lubricated with white silicone grease regularly.

More soon. Thanks for your continued interest.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 12:35:02 pm »

Yarpie....good to see the "B" turret elevation corrected   O0 ....

HMS Rodney was clearly before my time.......but I do understand the hydraulic principals with her gunnery/ordanance systems........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Yarpie

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 01:24:30 pm »

Cheers Derek, the elevation problem was pointed out consistently by a colleague at lakeside so I hope that he's looking in now.

I'm thinking of marrying up both sections soon at lakeside and go for a mid winter sail, sort of "before and after" three dimensional illustration.

But I already know what the response (by clubmates) will be as to the worth of refitting her. (So all that work will apparently be for nought). <*<

Canopus

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 01:40:38 pm »

If its not too late one thing you may want to look at is the diameter of the barbettes under each of the turrets as typically they are wider than the turret, albeit perhaps not so pronounced in Rodney as earlier/other battleships.

Keep the pictures comming as its nice to see an older model refurbished and to retain the original charater.

Geoff

Yarpie

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2010, 01:55:55 pm »

Geoff,

agreed.  I have indeed done that on "B" turret and even painted the traversing lip where it shows. I haven't created barbettes for "A" and "X" turrets in order to keep topweight down. In real terms "A" and "X" barbettes were only about 3' high, which is half an inch in 1:72 scale. But I do take your very valid point.

Cheers. :-))

Yarpie

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2010, 12:15:56 pm »

The camouflage pattern has been applied to the forward section now.

This image shows the port side scheme and also highlights the change in width of the rubbing strake/gunwhale capping.  The difference takes place where the leading breakwater meets the ships side at the aft end of the cable deck. Aft of that it doubles in width forming a spurnwater beading which then leads aft to the quarterdeck.

Colours used in the camouflage pattern, Admiralty code first:

MS1:  Humbrol Tank Grey Matt 67.
MS2:  Humbrol Sea Grey Matt 27.
B5:    Humbrol Intermediate Blue Matt 144.
507C: Humbrol Light Grey Matt 147.

On the starboard side of the forward section a different colour is included as well:

MS3: Humbrol Slate Grey Matt 31 (which has a greenish appearance).

Yarpie

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2010, 12:23:32 pm »

Starboard side pattern. The Slate Grey colour is visible halfway along the ships side.

This was state of play mid October this year.

Cheers,

Yarpie.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2010, 06:43:37 pm »

Refit coming along nicely, on time and under budget?? I shall miss the droopy guns. I assumed they were at that angle to allow the crew to scrub out the barrels before ramming another cannon ball down the muzzle.. Shows what I know.
I am progressing on a method of connecting destroyers to SS Ohio. Will post a sketch on the Ohio thread after I get my quills out.
Alan..
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Yarpie

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2010, 07:32:37 pm »

Cheers for that Alan.

By the way, congratulations on your 25th post and therefore becoming a 'full Mayhemmer'. (Something your clubmates always suspected). How many posts are required before becoming a complete anarchist?  %% :D

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2010, 07:57:28 pm »

I wasn't counting, but many thanks. I dont know about the anarchist bit, however my membership for 'The Guild of Village Idiots' is due for renewal next week!! :-X

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010, 09:17:56 pm »

Don't worry Alan, your membership is fully secure.
How come it took you so long to join us, I have been prompting you for years.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2010, 09:51:36 pm »

Hi Bob,
I couldn't think of anything to say!!
Now they can't shut me up.... %%
Alan..

Yarpie

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2010, 08:12:08 pm »

The upper deck prepared for final glue-down. The light in the garage has a yellow tinge so the photo has a strange light. The main gun deck sits one level above the cable deck and is separated by the forward breakwater which shelters the Torpedo/Paravane handling rooms. RODNEY had two underwater 24" torpedo tubes fitted at launch. The spurnwater on the main gun deck creeps further inboard than on the cable deck. The aperture on the main deck gives an idea of how much space is available in the forward section of the hull. Dissimilar woods have been used on cable deck/main gun deck but judicious staining and upper deck clutter will make it not too obvious. The main gun deck is propped beside the hull ready for placement.
(Cake decorating skills kindly provided by Padnell Park Womens Institute). %)

Yarpie

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2010, 08:22:20 pm »

Main gun deck fitted and held down overnight by no fewer than 10 lead acid batteries. This is when it pays to have one's own mini Fleet, a copious supply of pukka and discharged batteries on tap. ;)

Yarpie

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2010, 08:44:28 pm »

Perhaps I should explain the 'Fleet':

Left to right.

1:96 scale RC HMS ESKIMO (served on board 1974-76). Deans kit, my second build.
1:96 scale HMS CAVALIER (served on board 1969-72). Deans kit, my first build.
1:72 scale HMS TEAZER (served on board 1958-59). Fleetscale hull, rest scratchbuilt. Starred "The Bulldog Breed" Norman Wisdom.
1:72 scale HMS UNDAUNTED (served on board 1962-64). Fleetscale hull, rest scratchbuilt. D-Day Eisenhower/Ramsay fast passage fame.
1:72 scale HMS PRETORIA CASTLE. Club mould and scratchbuilt. Passenger 1948 as SS WARWICK CASTLE.
1:72 HMS RODNEY. No affliliation. Club mould, scratchbuilt (but not by me). Undergoing current refit.

It would be nice to build all ten of the warships I served in, but there isn't the room nor the time! <:(

Lord Bungle

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2010, 10:07:31 pm »

a very nice and impressive fleet you have there, time and room seem to be the bane of everyone on here  {-)  got growled at today for suggesting I buy a larger shed {-)

Yarpie

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2010, 11:50:24 am »

Lord Bungle, luckily I managed to modify the garage so that the car won't fit in it! If you can convince 'er indoors that a second (chest) freezer is a necessary addition to the garage .......

Next job, applying the "rivets" to all three triple 16" gun turrets.

I have a choice of two methods:

Method 1. Using the smallest needlework pins on the market, drilling 235 tiny holes in each turret roof and gluing-in the shortened pinheads individually.

Method 2. Using a homemade template, and using a cocktail stick to apply a tiny drop of thick superglue to where each rivet is located and quickly applying a squirt of cyanoacrylate activator. (This would instantly dry the drop of superglue whilst it still had a peak).

There are no prizes for guessing which option I chose. %)

The two attached images describe the process, but unfortunately I don't possess a camera with a macro facility, so cannot show a close up of the individual rivets (over 700). Perhaps at a later date when a colleague comes round with a better camera.

Thankfully, I am pleased with the effect and it's the first time I ever tried it. But I must admit that my eyeballs felt hollow at the end of the exercise. %%

Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate your continued support and input. :-))

Yarpie

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2010, 11:59:51 am »

Turrets repainted but still requiring the guardrails and other items that were stowed on top, such as Carley floats.

Yarpie

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2010, 12:02:08 pm »

"A" turret, showing the rivets.

steve pickstock

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2010, 12:47:01 pm »

They look great, I look forwards to your posts.

You missed one method that someone on here used on a Flower. Superglue pieces of glitter into place as the rivet heads. Equally mind-bending but always another option.

Yarpie

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2010, 02:24:26 pm »

Thanks Steve.

Images of turrets with guardrails added, PLUS ........

Tompions (with ships crests) in the ends of the muzzles.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2010, 04:04:07 pm »

Looking really good there  :-))

Yarpie

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2010, 03:16:46 pm »

Cheers gingyer, it's all coming together slowly but surely. I estimate that the forward section will be complete by Christmas, giving me four and a half months to complete the aft section, and therefore the whole model, by 18th May 2011 (C-in-C Home's birthday) and the start of the display season.

Like a fool I counted the upper deck ventilation inlets on some plans and discovered that there are 80 (assorted shapes and sizes) on the forward section alone. :o  But I am not going to include every one, just a representative 60 or so. There are hatches, cable reels, booms, gantries as well, all adding to too much clutter to the upper deck and I don't want to overdo it.

The image shows the making of just some of the ventilation inlets and trunkings involved.  The broader trunkings on the right fit around 'B' gun barbette (now increased in diameter to be of correct size).

We've had our third heavy snowfall in a year down here today and I'm just waiting for some bright spark to knock on my door with a view to discussing global warming........... <*<

Yarpie

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2010, 03:35:39 pm »

This image shows the forward section with its 'decking' illusion. Strong sunlight darkens the deck colour down a bit in the photograph, it's a lot lighter than it looks. The gloss effect on the deck is created by the stain/varnish coatings, and I have further protected the finish with a polyeurathne spray matt varnish.

Ships side has now been treated with two deep coats of satin clear polyeurathane varnish too, so its just a case of fitting the upper deck clutter and job jobbed!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.