Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:72 scale HMS RODNEY refit  (Read 49147 times)

Yarpie

Re: 1:72 scale HMS RODNEY refit
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2010, 01:28:38 pm »

Dave,

this is a video of RODNEY on the water just prior to going into refit, shot by a colleague.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CC3jXXYK-4

As can be seen in the clip, she is in need of her current refit.

Scale speed is slightly in excess of her modest 24 knots, but the excess helps to 'kick' her round in her very sluggish turning circle (which is just about scale).

With a model of these proportions, its possible to get the vessel going through the water instead of bobbing on the surface. I still miss having her on the water most weekends, but come the Spring ......  :}

Thanks for your very kind comment and I hope to be tackling the forward section after the holiday.

Yarpie.

Oooops! the kink appears to be duff!  Will try another...... :embarrassed:

triumphjon

« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2010, 02:05:15 pm »

you will need an ice breaker this wekend , ive just cycled down to the lake and its frozen over 99% of it , the only small patch of water is occupied by a swan !

Yarpie

« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2010, 02:28:06 pm »

Perhaps not this weekend triumphjon, I'm entertaining family today.

Lovely day with daughter and grandchildren yesterday, so today is the turn of both sons and their offspring to visit us.

Its a case of striking a balance between family and hobby. O0

Minus 3.5 degrees C when we left Liphook this morning and I haven't swung a golf club in anger for a month now. :((

Roll on global warming........ {-)

dave301bounty

« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2010, 06:22:26 pm »

Yarpie ,that video ,is proof of a fine looking job .Im sure you,d get the into a movie ,,got a great appearance ,,very realistic .good man .

Yarpie

« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2011, 08:08:52 pm »

Delighted to report that I had RODNEY on the water today. The refitted front end was bolted to the tatty back end and she sailed again for the first time in four months. Most people liked the effect of the refit and wondered when I was going to tackle the front end ...... <*< <*< {-)

A good friend and colleague took some photos for me and I will post some when they come through.

But great to have the old girl on the water again. There's something serene about the way she carves her way through the water.

RODNEY (3 metres and stationary) was rammed in the stern by a yellow fast thing (3 inches long and doing 40 knots). Now there's a David and Goliath situation for you. Guess what colour came second in the contest.

Or was the question too difficult? %)

triumphjon

« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2011, 09:01:15 pm »

and the poor little yellow job didnt go very well upside down ! new paint jobs have the same effect as the yellow flashing lights on my truck , they have a magnetic effect to passing traffic ! thats quite a contrast between the old and new restoration , good work . jon

Yarpie

« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2011, 08:39:58 pm »

Image of RODNEY on the lake Sunday last.

Hopefully there IS an appreciable difference and I can confidently continue with the stern section.

It is now stripped of all fittings and undergoing Nitromors treatment.

Sandy.

Ticonderoga

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2011, 01:10:15 pm »

She is looking good already, can't wait to see the reminder of the refit.

Andrew

Yarpie

« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2011, 03:29:19 pm »

Very many thanks Andrew.

I sincerely hope that all is well with you and yours down there in Queensland. Dreadful flooding which will have its effects for years to come.

Haven't done too much with the aft section lately, too much jockeying around with numerous cancelled hospital appointments. :((

Once that is resolved I can then apply what is left of my mind to restructuring the refit programme. %%

Take care over there............

Sandy.

Ticonderoga

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2011, 11:59:50 am »

You are very welcome Sandy.

Thanks for the kind thoughts re the floods, my family and friends are all ok, high and dry, but luckier than plenty of other people.

Andrew
 :-))

Yarpie

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2011, 07:01:10 pm »

Andrew,

just hope that Shorncliffe escaped the worst of it as well.  Met the lovliest of girls from there when we visited Brisbane on HMS BULWARK 44 years ago. Will never forget her. <:(

Take care.....

Sandy.

Dave13

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2011, 06:18:38 pm »

Thats a really nice model you have their  :-) how much dose she weigh? And is it a back braking exercise putting her in the water?  :-)

Yarpie

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2011, 08:15:10 pm »

Dave13,

thank you for your kind comment.

Truth is, I've never actually weighed RODNEY, but it certainly is a two-man job lowering her into the water using commercial vehicle timing belts!  I might even weigh her for you tomorrow as the question has arisen before. Suppose it would be interesting to find out myself. %) But I have to be careful what I say as I may run out of volunteers when it comes to launching and recovery in the future. O0

Sandy.

Dave13

« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2011, 10:03:17 am »

Hi
LOL the only reason I ask is I'm building a model of HMS Dreadnought in 1:96 scale
and that thing looks to weigh about 4 stone!!

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2011, 12:39:35 pm »

Hi
LOL the only reason I ask is I'm building a model of HMS Dreadnought in 1:96 scale
and that thing looks to weigh about 4 stone!!

Displacement in tons as follows; HMS Dreadnought 21845 tons divided by 96 divided by 96 divided by 96 multiplied by 2240 =55.3 lbs, this assumes the waterline is adhered to and the hull form is correct, I tried it for HMS Rodney at 1/72 scale and came out with a substantially higher figure, however I believe Yarpies Rodney, like the Cuckoo, is ocupying somebody elses nest :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

jinks8

« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2011, 02:00:55 pm »

will just say one thing 100% :-)) :-)) :}

Yarpie

« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2011, 07:37:54 pm »

Displacement in tons as follows; HMS Dreadnought 21845 tons divided by 96 divided by 96 divided by 96 multiplied by 2240 =55.3 lbs, this assumes the waterline is adhered to and the hull form is correct, I tried it for HMS Rodney at 1/72 scale and came out with a substantially higher figure, however I believe Yarpies Rodney, like the Cuckoo, is ocupying somebody elses nest :-))

Very good unbuiltnautilus, I like your maths. :-))

Having had my broadband down this afternoon, and with nothing better to do, I thought it may be an idea to trot the bathroom scales down to the workshop. And with a wonderfully unscientific method of weighing the brute, she came out at 95 lbs, including batteries and ballast.  Don't know if your calculations came to anywhere near this unbuiltnautilus, but I feel that as the waterline is about right, 95 lbs isn't too far out.

I hope that this revelation doesn't deter my colleagues from launch or recovery duties in the future! {:-{

ben hall

« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2011, 09:59:00 pm »

if you think HMS Rodney is heavy try launching and recovering unbuitnautilese's galleon it ways 10 tone  :o
well i think it does it defiantly feels like it %) :embarrassed: {-) %% %% %%

triumphjon

« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2011, 11:46:27 pm »

then when divided as you are only lifting each end its not that bad to lift , if all else fails you will have to devise a lifting crane at the pondside !

Yarpie

« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2011, 11:28:32 am »

Ben,

I would venture that u-b-n's galleon may be a similar weight, but in light of the cumbersome nature of square-riggers, they are much more difficult to launch. Hand holds are difficult to find and the hull needs to be swung out further to avoid damage to the protruding cannons.

Having launched and recovered GB's HMS AJAX a few times I can testify to the difficulty.

However, the Team have launched and recovered larger vessels (HMS VICTORY for instance) without the use of cranes or any other similar contraptions for over ten years now without incident. That's the beauty of 'teamwork'. %)

Yarpie

« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2011, 11:44:30 am »

will just say one thing 100% :-)) :-)) :}

Forgive my rudeness in not thanking you earlier for your kind comment jinks8. Normally I respond quicker than this. :embarrassed:

Sandy.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2011, 12:29:50 pm »

Ben,

I would venture that u-b-n's galleon may be a similar weight, but in light of the cumbersome nature of square-riggers, they are much more difficult to launch. Hand holds are difficult to find and the hull needs to be swung out further to avoid damage to the protruding cannons.

Having launched and recovered GB's HMS AJAX a few times I can testify to the difficulty.

However, the Team have launched and recovered larger vessels (HMS VICTORY for instance) without the use of cranes or any other similar contraptions for over ten years now without incident. That's the beauty of 'teamwork'. %)

I think HMS Dolphin weighs in at about 40 to 45 lbs, however HMS Canopus and SMS Scleiswig Holstein weigh about 175 lbs light load i.e. without ballast such as 110 amp Leisure battery, pyrotechnic effects and slightly tubby club members :-))   and we all LOVE helping to launch them!!!

ben hall

« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2011, 05:28:42 pm »

but when you do and you drive in it around the lake i thinks its worth it {-) %% 

sit in battle ships are awsome :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :}

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2011, 05:34:26 pm »

but when you do and you drive in it around the lake i thinks its worth it {-) %% 

sit in battle ships are awsome :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :}

Radio control battleships are pretty cool too, especially ugly ones %)

ben hall

« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2011, 05:43:33 pm »

i love mtbs there perfect their fast theyve got weapons and i can use my newest on in operation pedastall hopefully yarpie have you decided on the looking after of the galleons yet
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.