Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:72 scale HMS RODNEY refit  (Read 49150 times)

triumphjon

Re: 1:72 scale HMS RODNEY refit
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2011, 07:15:26 pm »

having seen various launching methods over the years , i think that the method operated at the old cheddar models factory site is probably the best , with less likelyhood of injury , where you launch models at just over waist height !

Yarpie

« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2011, 07:48:14 pm »

i love mtbs there perfect their fast theyve got weapons and i can use my newest on in operation pedastall hopefully yarpie have you decided on the looking after of the galleons yet

I e-mailed you about that on Thursday morning Ben. Check your inbox, it contains good news. :-)

Yarpie

« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2011, 07:52:43 pm »

Radio control battleships are pretty cool too, especially ugly ones %)

Read and understood u-b-n! O0  And like dog owners, sometimes the drivers begin to look like their charges..........  :D

Yarpie

« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2011, 08:04:36 pm »

Glad to report the commencement of the second part of the winter refit (after a two-month lay off). :-))

A few medical problems (top to toe inclusive and stations in between! :embarrassed:) and a freezing workshop have hindered progress.

At present working on actually planking the shelter deck, which includes the mainmast and boat deck. This whole structure, bridge, funnel, boat deck, mainmast and aft director platform lifts off to give access to the electronics which drive and steer the model.

I've decided not to do too much to this section in order to leave some of the original build visible, as a tribute to the original builders who made the model over ten years ago.

The intention at the start was just a 'tidy-up', by applying 'plating' to the ships sides and simulated decking, but as in most cases, this becomes more complex as it advances.

Photos to follow as it all progresses. %)

Yarpie

« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2011, 08:28:25 pm »

As promised, some images of the shelter deck, stripped of fittings preparatory to actually laying planking.

The deck needs to be sanded back to bare wood and evened prior to laying the planks. I shall use my own method of caulking the laid planks and see how it compares to other more tried and tested procedures.

As evidenced in the images, the ships boats have been removed (for refurbishing) and the two new 50' steam pinnaces are shown too. So also is the forward 8 barrelled Pom Pom platform, 4" guns, Oerlikons and associated directors.

Plenty to do, so here are a few images to be getting on with. %)

ben hall

« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2011, 08:49:55 pm »

good to see more works being done on the beautiful giant :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Yarpie

« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2011, 04:37:56 pm »

The planking continues .......

The margin planks have been fitted around the starboard contours. Having checked to see that the bridge line is parallel to the shelter deck edge, I find that it isn't. {:-{ However, I can live with this.

Planks are laid in a five-plank repeat pattern, starting at the centreline and working outboard. I understand that this was the way it was done in the real world. The reason that I didn't just cut out a sheet of 3 ply and scribe the planks on it (as in the case of the maindeck) was because I couldn't fit the 3 ply access hole over the existing tripod mainmast, which steadfastly refused to budge. %)

The pursuit of the perfect scale caulking goes on, but I think I have located it. ok2

One of the very best methods, which produced outstanding results is found here.:

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum...2288&start=220

As you can see, the planks have actually been 'formed-in' to the margin planks, requiring a huge amount of detailing and effort. I think that the builder has spent far in excess of eighteen months on the planking alone, something I haven't got the time for.

I've attached a couple of images of RODNEY's planking so far. I'm relatively happy with the effect to date, bearing in mind that the caulking needs to be run-in and the planking sanded to a smooth finish. This will reduce (but not entirely eliminate) the uneven effect given at the moment.

The run-out on the starboard bridge wing is evident, demonstrating that the bridge superstructure is out of true with the line of the shelter deck edge. As I mentioned earlier, shall just have to live with that. But, oddly, it's not the case with the port bridge wing.................. or is it?

The 5 plank repeat pattern can also be seen from the images. It really is important to keep this pattern correct, as any mistake will be glaringly obvious!!

Thanks for looking in. ;)

Norberto

« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2011, 05:31:39 pm »

Hi Yarpie your model looks very great
i like so much the restauration
first class job :-))

TugCowboy

« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2011, 05:37:45 pm »

Really can't wait to see how the second half comes on, a work of art indeed.

Alex

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2011, 07:34:44 pm »

A wonderful project,and seems very ably done. Could you tell me please, what material did you use for the shiny metal ends of the gun barrels, and also how did you reproduce the tompions in that small a scale? Thanks, Mick

Yarpie

« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2011, 09:37:30 pm »

A wonderful project,and seems very ably done. Could you tell me please, what material did you use for the shiny metal ends of the gun barrels, and also how did you reproduce the tompions in that small a scale? Thanks, Mick

From someone who lived in Carharrack ........

The ferrules were already on the barrels, so I inserted a wood plug into each barrel end and fitted brass drawing pins into the wood. (Make sure that they really ARE brass)!

I then copied the ships crest from a large image online, reduced it drastically to fit the tompion and printed off on gloss photographic paper.

Once printed, I carefully cut around the outline and superglued each to the tompion. Then the critical bit, cover it all with a good couple of coats of varnish. %) %)

I'm happy with the result, but time will tell ...................  %)

pugwash

« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2011, 12:09:06 am »

A very interesting restoration Yarpie - its looking good.

Geoff

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2011, 12:13:34 am »

Thanks for that. Its easy when you know what to do. Someone who knows where Carharrack is too! Did you do any modelling when you were in this neck of the woods ? Are you now in the Pompey area ,if so please pm me ? Cheers.

Yarpie

« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2011, 01:18:58 pm »

Thank you gentle-people, Geoff, Alex, Norberto, Ben, for your very kind comments. :embarrassed:  Mick, I have sent you a PM. :-))

I have now managed to complete the laying of the decking on the shelter deck and will cover that whilst I wire-wool and sand down the superstructure ready for its new camouflage paint coat. I would rather leave some of the existing features of the model in tribute to the guys who build the original model some years ago (one of whom, very sadly, has passed away). So, although the temptation is there, I will not go the 'whole hog'.

Once the superstructure is painted, then I can sand-down and stain/varnish the decking.

Pictures to follow soon. :-))

Thanks very much for your continued interest.

Yarpie

« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2011, 01:41:30 pm »

Images as promised. ;)

I think (without being referred to as a rivet counter) there are about 280 planks on the shelter deck (including two short planks!). O0

The area immediately below the tripod mainmast will be painted iron deck colour and a little shack will be placed between the mast legs. Any imperfections (or should that read many imperfections?) will be covered over by the placement of ships boats, directors, cable reels, hatches, ventilators etc.

Glad to be back on track after the two month lay off. :-))

But now I'm off to prepare the Beef Wellington for my daughter, her partner and my two grandsons. Oh, and not forgetting 'er indoors, who I refer to as C-in-C (Home).

And I get away with it .............I think! %)

ben hall

« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2011, 06:49:43 pm »

nice idea  :-)) :-) but what exactly are you planing to keep the same then ?

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2011, 07:39:28 pm »

I dont know if the Rodney and Nelson Boat Decks were the same as the "R" Class, but they were covered in a sort of canvas material called corteline or a name very similar ?

richtea

« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2011, 09:31:37 pm »

I dont know if the Rodney and Nelson Boat Decks were the same as the "R" Class, but they were covered in a sort of canvas material called corteline or a name very similar ?

I think its called cortiscene, and is a reddish brown thick linoleum type covering.
Regards
Richard

Yarpie

« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2011, 09:34:01 pm »

Mick,

I think the boat decks and roofs of the twin 6" guns were covered in the forerunner of corticene, still used on the interior decks of todays warships. ;)

I may be wrong, but the best part of a bottle of Merlot may jade my perceptions. :embarrassed:

Hic!

MikeW

« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2011, 09:40:55 pm »

Amazing how its changed with the restoration. Looks brand new now. My favourite battleship design.

richtea

« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2011, 09:54:58 pm »

Mick,

I think the boat decks and roofs of the twin 6" guns were covered in the forerunner of corticene, still used on the interior decks of todays warships. ;)

I may be wrong, but the best part of a bottle of Merlot may jade my perceptions. :embarrassed:

Hic!

BEST PART ?

you mean theres a worst part left ?

Any way its a great refit on a beautiful ships model.
Regards
Richard

Yarpie

« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2011, 07:48:34 pm »

nice idea  :-)) :-) but what exactly are you planing to keep the same then ?

Bridge superstructure which includes:
Conning tower platform
Sounding machine platform
Projector platform
captain's bridge and Compass platform
Admirals bridge
Director control tower platform
Anti-aircraft control platform.

The mainmast and the funnel c/w searchlight platform.

Yarpie

« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2011, 07:55:19 pm »

BEST PART ?

you mean theres a worst part left ?

Any way its a great refit on a beautiful ships model.
Regards
Richard

Richard, the "worst part" was donated to my daughter's partner (grudgingly of course). :}

Many thanks to you, and MikeW for your very kind comments. :embarrassed:

And now back to the grindstone ................................................................   :D

hmswarspite

« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2011, 12:22:20 pm »

Hi im very envious Im working on a 1/96 rodney as we speak , im working my way through all the ww2 rn battleship classes so ive got warspite and Prince of wales, been thinking about a 48th renown but after seeing your rodney i think 72 will be better

Love your model and your doing a awsome job

Yarpie

« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2011, 02:05:48 pm »

Hi im very envious Im working on a 1/96 rodney as we speak , im working my way through all the ww2 rn battleship classes so ive got warspite and Prince of wales, been thinking about a 48th renown but after seeing your rodney i think 72 will be better

Love your model and your doing a awsome job

Thanks very much for your extremely kind comment hmswarspite. It must be remembered that this is only a refit, and although the temptation is to go 'the whole hog', I need the model ready for the display season when the Team is mounting its own mini Operation Pedestal.

Although the photographs may flatter the refit somewhat, close inspection would reveal the many flaws that still exist. %) :embarrassed: (That's why the images are always ever so slightly out of focus!!). :D

But its thanks mainly to the much appreciated comments such as yours that I get the impetus to complete the job.

Good luck on all your builds and never, ever, compare your work to that of 'others'. Because 'others' are only too conscious of the drawbacks in their own models, and hope that other builders don't notice. O0 O0 O0 :embarrassed:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 23 queries.