Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:72 scale HMS RODNEY refit  (Read 49149 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: 1:72 scale HMS RODNEY refit
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2011, 04:06:56 pm »

Good luck on all your builds and never, ever, compare your work to that of 'others'. Because 'others' are only too conscious of the drawbacks in their own models, and hope that other builders don't notice. O0 O0 O0 :embarrassed:

While cutting out the curved front bridge deck sections of SS Ohio last night,' rumblings' could be heard amongst fellow modellers. When I turned the flat deck parts over 180deg and offered them back to the model it turned out that the curve was , how do you say 'on the p.....'! This will not be discussed on the Ohio build thread, as , to paraphrase an almost great submarine movie "most of what you read here....DID NOT HAPPEN!"

So, never let others discourage your build, you will always be the most critical of your build, while most of the time others just marvel at a great model :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Yarpie

« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2011, 05:26:41 pm »

......... So, never let others discourage your build, you will always be the most critical of your build, while most of the time others just marvel at a great model :-))

That's precisely what I'm relying on u-b-n ...... and wet weather during displays, when the model can be displayed for mere milliseconds ......  :embarrassed: {-)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2011, 05:31:15 pm »

That's precisely what I'm relying on u-b-n ...... and wet weather during displays, when the model can be displayed for mere milliseconds ......  :embarrassed: {-)

Dont even think those words...... guess who gets to make the 'go-no go' decisions now. on show days?? O0

Yarpie

« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2011, 05:56:10 pm »

Dont even think those words...... guess who gets to make the 'go-no go' decisions now. on show days?? O0

I'm sure that C-in-C (Home) will advise, she normally does! <*< <*<

Have started painting the superstructure a la Humbrol colours, as close to the original camouflage colouring as possible.

Note that the recently completed decking has benn masked but 'er indoors reckons that when the tape is lifted, the planking will come up with it! <*<

pugwash

« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2011, 11:15:11 am »

Yarpie, I have been following the refit and enjoying it - but was at the NE model boat show yesterday where there
was a model Nelson (sister to Rodney)  an absolutely stunning looking ship when you see it close up (best in show Blackpool etc)
(1/96 scale - Makes Aisne look like a picket boat) but what was interesting was the way it was built.  Lots if ply
covered in lithoplate which gave it really clean lines and all the rivets were embossed onto the reverse of the litho plate with different sized
cog wheels before it was bonded onto the the ply of the turrets and superstructure.  I know its not relevant to your refit but its a totally
different way of building.  I think I my be changing from plasticard to lithoplate for the next build if I can source the plate.
It belongs to Brian C of this forum - well worth a look for anybody going to the show
Best of luck in continuing the refit

Yarpie

« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2011, 04:32:29 pm »

Thanks Geoff. :-))

I'm aware of Brian C's HMS NELSON, (as of course are many others), she is a very fine model and the litho plate method can be extremely effective.

Yarpie

« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2011, 06:52:46 pm »

HMS RODNEY's shelter deck as of this evening.

The superstructure paintwork is all but finished and the protective masking removed. There still is some paintwork to do but that will wait until the decking is caulked and sanded down.

My chosen method of caulking is to run black flexible superglue into the seams using hypodermic needles and syringes (for accuracy).  %)

This method almost replicates the way in which it was done big-scale and as far as I know, hasn't been tried before. If it works to any degree, you will know about it. However, if the plan fails ................... you will still know about it. %) :D {-)

As per the images, the decking has been pre-prepared for the caulking process. I have taken the precaution of stain/varnishing the decking to prevent any seepage from the black glue staining the planks at the seams. Once the 'caulking' has been run-in and has completely dried, the planks will be shaved to remove excess 'caulking'. The shaving will run fwd to aft, in line with the seams to guard against accidental overrun.

Once any exposed 'caulking' has then had a chance to dry thoroughly, the first medium sanding will commence.

I give myself four undisturbed hours for the first task tomorrow, don't want a hypodermic needle clogging-up during any break .....  %)

Managed to acquire two 50 gram bottles of black flexi superglue, with a consistency of normal thin cyanoacrylate.

Meantime, I have been scratchbuilding six sets of eight barrelled Pom Poms. Helped by a colleague I must confess. :-)) Cheers Gary. :-))

More tomorrow  ............................... perhaps. %) :o

Yarpie.

Yarpie

« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2011, 07:06:15 pm »

I'm sure that C-in-C (Home) will advise, she normally does! <*< <*<

Have started painting the superstructure a la Humbrol colours, as close to the original camouflage colouring as possible ..............

Note that the recently completed decking has been masked but 'er indoors reckons that when the tape is lifted, the planking will come up with it! <*<

Oh no they didn't Mrs Yarpie!!!! ;D ;D ;D O0 {-)

pugwash

« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2011, 08:18:10 pm »

Yarpie I will be really interested in how you get on with the black superglue.  I have never done any deck planking but just realised
if I go for the Lion  as seems likely the quarterdeck will have to be planked.  Just one thought - you said you have varnished the wood
to protect it during the caulking process.  Do you intend to remove all the varnished layer when you do the final sanding as if I remember
correctly when I visited Lion the decks were scrubbed wood and I assumed all major warships with wooden decks had them scrubbed.

geoff

Yarpie

« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2011, 08:41:34 pm »

Correct Geoff. :-))

I remember 'stoning' the quarterdeck of HMS HERMES (first commission 1959-62) whilst under No9 punishment. %) If I remember correctly, the tool was called Shark stone (or similar).

The first coat of stain/varnish is there to prevent seepage of black glue, and will be sanded-off completely as you state. :-))

However, I will re-stain/varnish in light oak to retain the watertight properties. Any water ingress under the planking will lift them in clumps, so the 'caulking' and varnishing will hopefully guard against this eventuality.

It is an unfortunate fact that the general public do not recognise grey planking as "wood", so a light stain reassures them and circumvents the obvious questions. I know (to my chagrin) that RN planking actually turns a grey colour (having studied it closely on my hands and knees %)) and that copious amounts of daily scrubbing with sea water produces this effect.

But Bert Scroggins, your local warship 'anorak' knows different and will certainly ask why you painted your planking grey. :o

In conclusion, it may be possible to waterproof any planking with a clear matt varnish without applying any staining effect, and that way the process will go through a natural ultra violet bleaching. Provided of course that you select the correct wood colouring at the outset.

I used White Lime. O0

Hope this helps. :-))

Yarpie.

pugwash

« Reply #135 on: April 24, 2011, 09:48:36 pm »

I know what you mean about the "grey" wood - I used to have a teak grating in the yachts cockpit plus the handrails used to scrub them
regularly  and they looked cream for about 24 hours then started to go grey.
I shall watch this part of the build with extra interest.
I can't imagine an upstanding character like you would get No. 9s. I always used to get them for being absent from place of duty ( usually slept in)

Geoff

Yarpie

« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2011, 11:48:28 pm »

..................... I can't imagine an upstanding character like you would get No. 9s. I always used to get them for being absent from place of duty ( usually slept in)

Geoff

Precisely my problem too Geoff. When I slept, I 'died' and was impossible to wake. So the Commander thought it a good idea to give me extra work and drill ........ just to exacerbate the problem! %)  As a Marine Engineering Mechanic, I was also watchkeeping, which certainly didn't help. I ended up doing one day's No9's for every week I spent on there, and I'm reluctant to reveal that I spent two and a half years on the beast. No medical exclusions in those days, one size fitted all.  Que Sera. Probably character building too. %) {-) O0

So I look forward to a day of 'caulking' tomorrow and hopefully have something positive to report in the evening. :-))

Thanks for your valued support and advice.

Yarpie.

Yarpie

« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2011, 09:15:09 pm »

Well, I tried the black superglue 'caulking' proceedure today with mixed results.

Sunny back garden, shelter deck firmly gripped in the workmate, hypo filled with superglue, needle attached and proceeded to run-in the first line. The glue ran fairly freely so i thought I was on a winner. Along comes SWMBO with twenty questions ........................... subject; mind boggling trivia. Carried on running-in with the needle, very slow and painstaking process, requiring CONCENTRATION. Then all the neighbours decided to perform a synchronised grass mowing. Shortly after that, the Mums had got fed up with their little darlings (10:15) and sent them out into the Close to 'make some noise'.

At this point, I decided to pour the black glue over the planking and work it into the seams in the fervent hope that any staining could be sanded off. By 11:00 the glue had perceptively dried so I thought it was about time to get 'my own back' and plugged-in the orbital sander. 45 minutes of sanding had driven the darlings mad (indication of manual work y'know, something alien to kids of today) so they pleaded with their very responsible parents to take them to the seaside.

Once sanded down level (each plank appeared to have a different depth) the job looked fairly good. Unfortunately I had sanded one small area back to the base wood, but that can thankfully be concealed. %) After that, a very light stain/varnish was rubbed into the planking, enough to match the already completed forward section. (See earlier posts). ;)

The effect is satisfactory, no more, no less. I have learned much from this process, mainly, not to expect too much if you are pushed for time. O0

A blind man on a galloping horse might be impressed with the result so I am hurriedly positioning the associated deck clutter to hide the effect. %)

No images tonight, but the overall effect is not too much different to the previous images.

Thanks for looking in.

Yarpie.

Bernd

« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2011, 08:14:42 am »

:-))

Great camouflage!

Bye,

Bernd.

Yarpie

« Reply #139 on: May 04, 2011, 11:02:31 am »

Thanks Bernd. :-))

Just an update.

Work continues on the shelter deck, the boats, the directors, upper superstructure, 4.7" guns etc are being fitted. What is however occupying most of my time at the moment is the creation of the 6 eight-barrelled Pom Poms and their sponsons.

I found that the best way to create the sponsons was to use some domestic 3" funnels which have the correct profile. These are cut down to create the effect. The manufacture of the eight barrelled Pom Poms themselves is a tricky process, but I'm happy with progress at the moment.

The boats, most of which were on the original model, have been refurbished and placed on deck (not much room, but they just fit in position).

I hope to take a few images tomorrow, so will post them in due course.

Target completion date of 18th May will not be reached but never mind eh?  Not the first project to overrun. %)

Once again, many thanks for looking in and I can only apologise if the thread takes a little while loading and opening. It's all the images innit. O0 ok2

Yarpie.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2011, 11:31:27 am »

:} & Yarpie says...... "Target completion date of 18th May will not be reached but never mind eh?  Not the first project to overrun"

;D... I have never seen a good nautical warship project to run.... >>:-(

1. on time
2. below budget
3. results better than expected

Just keep up the good work & keep us posted with many photographic images.........Derek  :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Yarpie

« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2011, 02:54:17 pm »

Cheers Derek. :-))

And now, a subject right up your street, the manufacture of the weaponry on the shelter deck.

On the left of the image, the component parts of five of the six MK VII 8 barrelled Pom Poms. To the extreme left, a line of the lower magazines, and right of the barrel assemblies, the upper magazines for each weapon. Each mounting had eight magazines. In the foreground, the barrel assembly and two completed magazine assemblies. Don't worry about the colourful bits, these I got from a child's 'shapes' (£1) and they serve the purpose adequately. They will, of course, get a severe coat of pussers ships side grey. And the child will get what remains of the 'shapes' (probably for Christmas and suitably gift wrapped).

On the right are the component parts for the 4.7" HA QF 43 cal MK VIII guns and mountings. These will be scratchbuilt as well. It's by modelling these ships that Chief Stokers begin to learn what is involved in fighting the ship as opposed to the demanding requirements of Damage Control whilst under fire.

Below are some of the many Carley floats, two sizes, hence the smaller stowed within the larger, a common feature on Capital Ships.

So its all progressing fairly well, but I am exceeding what I originally proposed to do.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope this project still offers some interest to you all.

Yarpie.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2011, 05:44:31 pm »

I need some armament for SS Ohio :-))

Yarpie

« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2011, 06:52:44 pm »

I need some armament for SS Ohio :-))

Dockyard job mate. %)

Influence me tonight at the clubhouse. :D O0  But please, please tell me that you don't need Pom Poms. My cheerleading days are over. ;D {-)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2011, 06:54:50 pm »

Surely the correct term is 'Rabbit Job'?

Yarpie

« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2011, 06:58:52 pm »

Surely the correct term is 'Rabbit Job'?

Jack-speak.

Bravo Zulu.

Well done. O0

ben hall

« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2011, 07:36:15 pm »

Don't worry about the colourful bits, these I got from a child's 'shapes' (£1) and they serve the purpose adequately. They will, of course, get a severe coat of pussers ships side grey. And the child will get what remains of the 'shapes' (probably for Christmas and suitably gift wrapped).

hope fully im not the child that will get the left over shapes :D if you dont know what to get me i think i will be able to cope with one of your destroyers as a present :-)) ;) :} :} %% %% {-) ;D

Yarpie

« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2011, 07:54:37 pm »

hope fully im not the child that will get the left over shapes :D if you dont know what to get me i think i will be able to cope with one of your destroyers as a present :-)) ;) :} :} %% %% {-) ;D

Join the queue young man, join the queue. %)

There are two grandsons and another two great grandsons who are way ahead of you in the donation stakes. O0 {-)

But haven't you just purchased a 1:144 scale mix 'n match destroyer???

Yarpie.

ben hall

« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2011, 08:00:27 pm »

yep     thought it would be a bit of fun for going around the lake with      maby doing up once i have something else on the watter

Yarpie

« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2011, 08:08:37 pm »

Just a progress report on the manufacture of the shelter deck armament.

In the background are the completed 4.7" QF MK VIII guns.

Centre of image (in white) are the: barrel assembly; some of the components that make up the eight magazines on each mounting; both sides of the spent cartridge chutes (with two others in the foreground for clarity).

To the left are the prepared magazines for four Pom Poms, shown at differing angles to illustrate the manufacture process.

Right of centre are four barrel assemblies, painted and ready for final assembly.

Right of that, in pride of place, is the almost completed first eight barrelled Pom Pom.

Finally, on the extreme right, are two of the kitchen funnels that will make up the weapon's sponsons.

All in all a fiddly job, but rewarding when completed.

At least they will look nearly correct.

Once again, thanks for looking in, the refit should be completed next month.

Yarpie.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 23 queries.