Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: band saw  (Read 2072 times)

regiment

band saw
« on: December 08, 2010, 11:41:52 am »

my band saw has just given up have been told not worth repairing so a new one cannot seem to get a second hand one down here wondering which is the best two wheels or three wheels  my old one was two wheels  thanks  regiment  ps once again the sun is shining in cornwall

Roadrunner

Re: band saw
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 12:14:09 pm »

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=bandsaw&hl=en&cid=8740221904292230773&ei=cHX_TNqCA4uY2ASoismPCQ&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/56797/Power-Tools/Benchtop-Woodworking/Titan-Single-Speed-Bandsaw

i've suggested these two just due to the price, (around the ton mark) i would assume that a 3 wheeled is better or why sell a 2 wheel and a 3 wheel version? As always go with the best you can afford.

and it may be sunny but this thick laid in ice is still on the paths and roads making quite hazardous take another day or so of this 'sun' to clear it, but the wind is so cold, the sun makes no difference  %% %%

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 12:16:37 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 02:36:38 pm »

Hi Regiment,

3 wheeled- gives a greater throat depth allowing precise cutting out of boards- a little like a beefy fretsaw in practice, but generally have little if any vertical height adjustment.

2 wheeled- gives greater height adjustment sacrificing throat depth- means you can whittle down a 5" square post into 2.5mm X 6mm planks.

I've had a the SIP 10" two wheel bandsaw (Record/Axminster/DeWalt all make the 'same' model with different branding, and very different pricing!), and had no trouble at all, there are lots of blade choices, it has ample throat depth and height for almost every model boat application, has a good 1.5hp motor, it has three roller bearing blade alligners, blade tensioning and linear adjustment aswell as blade brushes for self cleaning and a 3" dust extraction connection on the rear.

Word of advice- you can pick up bargains where bandsaws are concerned- but just check on blade availability first.

I'm not sure, but I bet there is a woodworking forum somewhere that has reviews on them all.

Happy shopping...

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 02:48:50 pm »

I've been more than happy with my 3 wheel "Rexxon" machine. The blades are a common enough size, so no problem there. But a word of warning for "newcomers" to the world of bandsawing. I've learned tis lesson to my cost. I was warned (told, more like) that when the machine was not in use the blade tension should b slackened off. Well, being either a "know-all" or simply forgetful, I didn't heed this warning. Result? The blade edges dug into the rubber "tyres" on the 3 wheels. Bang. New blade and 3 new tyres required. Lesson learned! BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

regiment

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 03:33:15 pm »

thanks for all of the advice put the word around see what father christmas brings me  regiment

doorframe

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 06:36:37 am »

Hi... I bought one of the 'budget' 2 wheel bandsaws a few years ago. Paid peanuts for it and that was all it was worth. But it was very easy to mount 2 home-made 3 bearing guide assemblies in place of the blocks.(the bearings came from my son's old discarded in-line skates... a great source of bearings). A half-reasonable blade completed the transformation and it's now a cracking little machine.

As Brian Young says...
when the machine was not in use the blade tension should b slackened off.

Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.