Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running lights for steam tug  (Read 4992 times)

Triton

Running lights for steam tug
« on: December 09, 2010, 12:45:45 am »

Hi,  Can anyone please tell me what lights a steam tug from the 1940s/1950s era would show when under way without a tow?

I think there'd be one stern light but I'm unsure of the number of mast lights.

Cheers,

John

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Running lights for steam tug
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 08:17:06 am »

Mobile Marine Models Sell tug lighting Kits and parts. They also have posted Pictures of tugs showing light position. Including
steam. John

Triton

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 12:28:28 pm »

Mobile Marine Models Sell tug lighting Kits and parts. They also have posted Pictures of tugs showing light position. Including
steam. John

Thanks for that, John. I did look on the MMM site when I did a search but they just depict what lights it would carry, not what  it would show in various situations.

Also, they show three masthead lights in their example while my TID tug has only two masthead. I'm not sure whether just one or none would be lit when under way without a tow.

John

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 01:41:50 pm »

Sorry i could not have been more help John

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer

pugwash

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 10:45:51 am »

Triton - hope this helps - I am not sure how much lighting on vessels regs may have changed from the 40/50s
but the one thing I have thought is that basically if you are a tug "not towing" as far as the lights are concerned you are
are just another vessel -modern regs are one alround white masthead light for vessel under 50m l.o.a. and two allround white masthead
lights for a vessel which "may be over" 50m l.o.a. i.e. a vessel under 50m CAN show two but a vessel over 50m MUST show two lights.
I don't suppose this has changed much over the years but I stand to be corrected
Geoff

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 11:19:21 am »

Dont forget that the two masthead lights must be on separate masts with the after masthead light higher that foremast light

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

farrow

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 10:51:52 pm »

Hi Mate,
Steam tug lights are quite simple, if the tug is under 150 feet it is one masthead light has an arc of one point aft of the beam going forward to one aft of the beam on the other side, if over 150 feet she will carry two masthead lights the aft one must be vertically 6 feet above the forward light. Also the forward light has to be 25 feet above the main deck. She will carry to side lights showing one point abaft the beam to straight ahead only. Then a stern light which shines aft from one point abaft the beam through aft to one point aft of the beam on the other side. These are the lights of all steam tugs indeed all ships until the recent introduction of the amber optional as first introduced as an extra towing light to identify tugs from the stern when engaged in towing.

Pat Matthews

• Full Mayhemer
  • Get your boats wet!
    • Matthews Model Marine
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 03:21:49 pm »

Steam/other power makes no difference, except that in the early days the steam tug would have oil lamps. Later steam tugs may well have been built with, or had a generator added... with, yes, a small steam engine to drive same.
If modelling the oil lamps, they need to be on a hoist arrangement, because no one wants to climb the mast with a lighter!

The third lamp forward indicates a long tow behind on the hawser... as many harbor tugs never do such work, they might only carry the two lamps forward.
Pat Matthews
Get Your Boats Wet!
Matthews Model Marine

farrow

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 10:41:15 pm »

Talking about lighting lights, when I started out most small coasters carried spare oil lamp slides, ie a oil lamp on the same slide fitting inside the lamp for the electric bulb lamp slide fitting. The Board of Trade surveyor always checked to see if it was full of oil and the wick correctly trimmed, in case of electric failure, slide out lamp bulb tray, light oil lamp and slide it in. Early large ocean ships had the same system until the emergency standby battries with dual voltage systems came in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.