Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone know anything about a rc yacht called the Imiction ?  (Read 8609 times)

midnightblues

Does anyone know anything about a rc yacht called the Imiction ?
« on: December 11, 2010, 09:49:41 pm »

Hi All
I,ve ordered plans of an IOM yacht called imiction from cornwall boats website.  In their discription they describe it as having race pedigree and in the photograph it certainly looks the part.  However, cant find anymore info at all on the web and wondered if anyone out there knew anything.  I,ve got plans for the triplecrown which seems popular but thought I may give this a look as well.
Regards
Gary

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Does anyone know anything about a rc yacht called the Imiction ?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 03:22:30 am »

The only thought that springs to mind with Imiction is that the Magazine article was dated 1996, and so the plans pre-date that.

In IOM racing, this model may be no longer competitive. I don't know if there have been any major rule changes in IOM either. If you are considering racing this is an issue.

However, if you are not interested in racing, I am sure this boat will give you many happy hours of sailing. And if it is still legal (most likely) then it would be a good introduction for club racing. And until a skipper is very experienced, the boat is not the major contributor to racing performance. The main contributor to success is always the nut that holds the joystick on the RC transmitter.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 09:55:00 am »

It sounds as if you haven't asked Cornwall Model Boats? If they are describing it as having a race pedigree then surely they must have some info to back the claim?

Regards,
Barry M

Islander1951

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 04:18:31 pm »

It's in the Traplet plans book, and there was a pair of articles detailing the build in the Jan/Feb 1996 issues of Marine Modelling.
   The back issues dept. can send you these, or photocopies of the articles if they have no copies left.
It's described as: "A slim hull One Metre class design, with plenty of competition experience to its credit."

Edward.

midnightblues

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:06:02 pm »

Thanks for that everyone.  I have asked cornwall boats but they did not know anymore and the fact I could not find any info on the yacht suggested it may not be very good.  I want to build a competitive IOM do you have any suggestions ?  As a lot of time effort and money go into to these models I want to focus in on a boat that is fast so that I can then practice and concentrate on one 'good' design rather than swapping and changing to much.

Regards
Gary

Dekan

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 10:29:49 pm »

A competitive IOM cost serious money even a second hand one......

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 02:11:25 am »

Have a look here http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1909.0

I think the Luna Rossa has free plans on the website in this link (above)

tony23

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 10:44:26 pm »

I sail IOM yachts competitively and have never heard of Imiction so would steer clear of it but you have the plans for a Triplecrown which is still raced today and can be quite competitive although a bit slow compared to todays one metres. If your after something to build to be up there with the rest try Brad Gibsons 'SKA' plan if you have not heard of him he's the current UK,USA and maybe Australian Champion after Christmas so he knows a thing or two about designing a wining boat. http://www.bgsailsanddesign.com/lines%20plans.htm  :-))

I sail a new glass ship called an 'Arrival' by P&PYachts attached is a picture of her.

midnightblues

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 03:04:51 pm »

Once again thanks for that everybody.  Have just looked at the SKA and do like the look of it.  Have also now been told that the triple crowns are not overly fast in light winds but will compete very well in heavier conditions.  I am fortunate in that I now have a little time and money so will have a go at both!

Are the regulations for building IOM's downloadable ? as I dont want to fall fowl of the rules.  Also how do I get the boats measured and registered after completion and does this cost anything?  Sorry for the naive questions but I am totaly new to RC sailing.

Many thanks again
Gary

terryyacht

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 08:01:17 pm »

Hello
I suggest you look at MYA-uk
This is the site for radio sailing in the uk.
They also have a for sale section with IOMs available.
If there is a club near you perhaps they could help.

If you want a top class boat it will cost a lot of money but it is the experience that counts especially at club level.
I would agree that the boats by Brad are good, but expensive.

Talk to Mike Clifton at CM Yachts, he has some very good hulls available and a lot of race experience, he could save you a lot of time and money.
The main thing is get a boat and enjoy it.
Regards

Terry
Sailing is always a challenge and every voyage different

tony23

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 08:34:11 pm »

Hi Terry,
            I have pointed Gary to Brad's site as he does a plan of the SKA which is what he is after not buying something already built like CM Yachts sell.
http://www.mya-uk.org.uk/

midnightblues

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 01:26:28 am »

hello again
have decided to go with the SKA and Triple crown as one seems to be a tryed and tested design that remains reasonably competant (partricularly in heavy winds) and the other is a modern yacht which is endorced by a proven race winner.  Will post my progress if anyone is interested.  Finally how do I get the yachts measured and registered after completion and how much does this cost ? Also are the rules governing construction available as I dont want to build an illegal boat.
Thanks again
gary

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 01:45:23 am »

Will post my progress if anyone is interested. 

It would be great to see a build log on here. ;) ;)
That way you can also post questions as you go, and get answers to your build questions. :-))

isisagoodun

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 01:22:13 pm »

Hi Midnightblues. Ref your initial post looking for info on 'Imiction' I really think that the design was 'Imictation'.
No problem, but I think that your latest choise will be far better.
Ref your quest for rules and measurement. Try the following and download and print off the documents.

http://www.iomclass.org/class-rules/

Measurement can be done by an official class measurer usually attached to an MYA affiliated club. I would strongly recommend that you join a local club, possibly Leeds-Bradford or at Rotherham - Harthill?  Measurement should be free of charge though a couple of pints may smooth the way ok2. Bribery is really not acceptable, but its a good way of getting to know like minded sailors with a lot of 'know how'.  Get in early, as going it alone could be a little painfull later on. See how others have done it. Visit other forums which deal with IOMs there is a lot of info out there. Visit the MYA website and find the nearest club through the 'Club Locations' portal.

Good luck.

Ralph

tony23

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 08:15:23 pm »

Hello Ralph,
                 I suspect you sail an Isis?

isisagoodun

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 11:14:23 am »

Hi SCM,

Yup, I ordered mine within 24 hours of Trevor Binks winning the Worlds and had to wait six months for delivery. I think Barry Chisam had taken five orders that day. By delivery date, the lead time for the ISIS had stretched to eighteen months. I have quite a fleet in the shed, a rebuilt Mandarin which I fitted with a tented deck which I made a mould for. A Kite which I built from scratch with cedar, the ISIS, a home design cedar hull using Lester Gilberts design spread, fitted with self moulded glass epoxy deck. A Sloth, built from mouldings supplied by designer Richard Wills, and, still in the shipyard , an Arion, also designed by Richard Wills, in cedar and also fitted with a glass epoxy deck which i made a mould for.

Ralph

midnightblues

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 06:46:48 pm »

Hi again

Yes your right Ralph it is the imictation it is written wrongly on the website I got the plans from.

Anyway I think I have all the info I need to get cracking.  Will probably start Febuary time and will photograph my progress and post on the site.  Once again a big thank you to you all for your help and advice.

Regards
Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.