Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.6 volts..toy motor..and kort nozzle..result? amazing..  (Read 6597 times)

rathikrishna

3.6 volts..toy motor..and kort nozzle..result? amazing..
« on: December 13, 2010, 08:17:16 am »

Good morning all Friends..i am sharing my own experience here, because, all of us are
looking for a better performance with our crafts. for that we always tries with powerful
motors, along with powerful battery packs. all acompanied by complicated electronics
circuits.i finished this craft months before, and was running on a reworked motor,
to 7.2 volts, then 6 volts respectively.all that time this arrangement was droping more
than 2 amps most of the time, and because of the angle of the prop shaft, my craft was
drooping its nose in to water in a high speed.as i got enough time now, i started reworking
on it again, i choose a square toy motor for it, and reworked to 4.5 volts, 500 Ma.

rathikrishna

Re: 3.6 volts..toy motor..and kort nozzle..result? amazing..
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 08:19:16 am »

my first head ache was motor blowout..so i done this job more cautiously.then i added a kort
 nozzle, nothing scientific, but a piece of pvc pipe that shrouds the prop, and the angle
of the pipe fixed as a little high at stearn.after this setup, the final result is amazing..
the speed was increased to a higher level, and the draining ampereage is mere 700 Ma.all it
works on a 4.8 volt NiCd 500 Ma battery pack.previously was running on 7.2 volts 2800, and
1800 Ma . So friends, its my kind request that you can also try some thing like this,
and you will amaze while your craft performs.and never forget to fix a kort nozzle on the
prop of your crafts. the result is astonising.for a great reff: i am adding a short video
of my reworked craft here, its all running at 4.8 volts, 500 ma, and its reduction was
1:5, along with 3 cm propeller.total time was 40 minutes on a single charge.So NEVER MISS
THIS VIDEO...YOU CAN SIMPLY SEE HOW FAST AND POWERFUL IT IS......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKh6NGzlXJg

rathikrishna

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 08:26:33 am »

after reworking its main drive train, i added a simple thrust pump at bow, made out of foam board...so i can simply turn it within "0" radius...i will post more photographs here as by this night...its working on a toy RC system, based on 35 MHz. i placed a 2N3055 transistor to hold the main motor...so after the junction barrier my motor only gets 3.2 volts and a mere amps of 400 Ma. so no worry about motor burn out....

rathikrishna

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 09:11:08 am »

sorry for the delay.. i will post all the realted photographs soon...

rathikrishna

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 10:11:45 am »

Here i am..as usual motor is my main head ache..so i tried with many trial and error methods..here you can see an actual winding of a toy motor is less winding because of the low voltage and amperrage it works..

rathikrishna

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 10:11:46 am »

Here i am..as usual motor is my main head ache..so i tried with many trial and error methods..here you can see an actual winding of a toy motor is less winding because of the low voltage and amperrage it works..

rathikrishna

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 10:12:30 am »

here is one reworked..

rathikrishna

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 10:14:07 am »

its worked for 6 volts at 800 ma.gives me enough torque..and rpm.and you can see the difference in its internal resistance..

rathikrishna

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 10:15:01 am »

and must consider the range of the DMM..

rathikrishna

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 10:21:06 am »

because of my helplessness i started to work on my motors..and after a good research, i found one thing.the motor is over heated by to things..a high current passing in to the winding..and the heat of the winding is dissipated through the armature shaft itself..so i decided to do two things.first one is an amperage limiter with voltage as its an automatic proses accordance with Ohms law.so i made some electronics circuits ,simple all with some handy components..so the current is limited...no fear of stalling..the second thing is cooling the motor...the main head ache related to a toy motor is its base..its plastic..so hen the armature heats up, it simply jams in to the plastic as it melts..so i found a remedy..is replacing its centre with brass bushes...

rathikrishna

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 10:25:24 am »

by simply adding a brass bush on its back clears this problem..and i told you all that the armature is heated up greatly while working..so the shaft is also heated up..so the heat is dissipated to the brass bushes..so i fix a simple heatsink on this bush, its nothing but a transistor heatsink..and working well...and if we are using evenmore powerful winding we can go for this heatsink derived from a graphics card, or an old amp Ic..pasted on the motor case...

rathikrishna

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 10:27:23 am »

and here its mounting...because of the absorbing nature of the expanded polystyrene its too easy to fix a motor on my crafts..some pieces of foam board...its there...

rathikrishna

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 10:29:06 am »

thrust pump takes less amps as i do not need any powerful motors...its also fixed by foam board..with some toy gears..in to 90 degree shift..

rathikrishna

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 10:31:10 am »

then the RC..its again from scraped toys..i have huntreds of them with me...from scrapyards...never think inferior..can pumps up to 400 meters witha 5 meter antenna..(a simple wire tied between coconut trees)...

rathikrishna

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 10:34:03 am »

and the receiver..its again from toys...based on 27 MHz..i took off all driving transistors with it, and replaced with power transistors..in this craft a heatsink is not provided as the whole set up drops within 700 Ma.

rathikrishna

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 10:35:12 am »

thrust pump from foam board..and it works nicely..

rathikrishna

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 10:37:22 am »

Driving prop made out of aluminium pot lid bought to cap the curry pot.its dia is 3 cms. pitch..?  trial and error..and i fixed a piece of pvc pipe around the prop, but removed it to reveal the prop.

rathikrishna

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 10:43:12 am »

drive shaft is nothing but a bicycle spoke..and its nipple helps me to lock the prop simply and instantly, and helpful to remove for greasing the tube...

rathikrishna

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 10:44:38 am »

the radar rotator is from a toy gearbox...

rathikrishna

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 10:48:32 am »

and the whole system works on...a 12 volt..?  9..?  3000 Ma..?  nothing its all on a simple Nicd battery pack..i got it from a scraped toy, or will be a Ni mh battery pack..in same voltage but ith more amps..any how its a 4.8 volts...and after the junction barrier voltage and circuit loss motor gets only 3.2 volts max...and result..that you can see in my video...from this i can understand one thing..if we have a whole system that synchronise ith the battery..it ill be an amazing piece of machine..

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 11:51:51 am »

In times when we are all used to the latest 2.4Ghz radio Lipos, the latest lazer cut kits, workshops with the latest powertools, lathes and what not, it really great to work like this to produce a morking model.
I remember taking apart some toy when I was a kit to extract some motor, to make a dynamo an electomagnet and what ever, convert an empty tissue box into a motorised boat by making a pointed bow and covering it in parcel tape etc.
I really love seeing work like this. :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 02:10:37 pm »

In times when we are all used to the latest 2.4Ghz radio Lipos, the latest lazer cut kits, workshops with the latest powertools, lathes and what not, it really great to work like this to produce a morking model.
I remember taking apart some toy when I was a kit to extract some motor, to make a dynamo an electomagnet and what ever, convert an empty tissue box into a motorised boat by making a pointed bow and covering it in parcel tape etc.
I really love seeing work like this. :-))

You have obviously witnessed some of our displays on the south coast!!
moto 'Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team, as long as it floats.'
Only kidding....
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

ironman

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 04:21:22 pm »

Rashu, Thank you for those photos and information.  You have done great work.  ironman

david j

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 05:36:20 pm »

hi rashi

i   wish i could make use of some old models for receivers, that i have . your knowledge is first class. please keep showing pictures

davidj

dem555

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 05:38:20 pm »

Enjoyed reading this build. From start to finish, a really imaginative use of basic principles and available materials to achieve the desired result. And, to boot, executed with skill and enthusiasm. Nice one!
regards,
dem.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.