Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: students?  (Read 4038 times)

regiment

Re: students?
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 04:52:10 pm »

MY FATHER IN LAW BLESS HIM SAID I WAS THE UNIONS WHO DESTROYED OUR FACTORYS ASKING FOR TO MUCH  PS I READ TO DAY UNDER GROUND  IS COMING OUT ON STRIKE BOXING DAY  AND BA WELL WHAT A SURPRISE GOOD JOB OUR ARMED FORCES DO NOT STRIKE BECAUSE SOME ONE WOULD BE OVER HERE LIKE A DOSE OF SALTS 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 06:01:35 pm »

In Victorian times the engineer was a person of real status, nothing was felt to be beyond them - look at Brunel, Stephenson et al. These days we have few people in that sort of category, innovators who lead from the front. Dyson is one such individual although his manufacturing base has had to go abroad as the UK can no longer compete with the Pacific Rim in actual manufacturing costs.

They had some health minister on TV this morning trying to explain how the cuts in the NHS buidget would make it more efficient. The guy clearly hadn't a clue what he was talking about and I think the presenters almost felt embarrassed at his pitiful and fumbling anwers. Like a lot of management these days, the politicians simply have little real understanding of what they are in charge of so how can they effectively evaluate information and make the right decisions?

Colin

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 06:13:09 pm »

Colin the problem with our politicians is that at most 15% of them have ever had a job in the real world. Most have gone to uni to do a politics degree , gone straight into a job with a "focus group" or helping out as a researcher for an MP then straight into parliament. Sad state of affairs when this happened means we have politicians who's only view of the real world is what they see on tv or read in the papers
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2010, 06:36:09 pm »

That being the case, it says a lot for "Free University education"
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2010, 08:43:18 pm »

That being the case, it says a lot for "Free University education"
Free, but not meaningless or compulsory.
A compulsory degree is a worthless scrap of paper, and probably the finest way possible of stultifying any real talent, along with considering managers and supervisors as a group worthy of greater pay than the trained and talented people that they rely on to actually make the money.  I have seen plenty of good craftspeople become very indifferent managers, along with plenty of poor ones become quite good managers.  They are different jobs, but the rewards rarely reflect the value of the individual to the company.  With the present day worship of paper certificates by the mediocre, and an academic industry seeing a huge self interest in fuelling this worship, we are running up a blind alley.
I don't often get accused of cheering the tories along, but occasionally, governed by the law of averages, or sheer desperation, they get something right.  If the false premise that created the vast over-sizing of the academic industry creating a pretend qualification for everybody is exposed as the sham that it always was and the bubble gets burst, there is a chance that in a generation or two, we can get back to actually earning a living, rather than just pretending to.  The trick will be in keeping the worthwhile parts, but I feel that the rewards will go to the smoothest talkers, so no real change there.
There, that feels better.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.