Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: students?  (Read 4036 times)

regiment

students?
« on: December 13, 2010, 03:06:44 pm »

so the police have arrested the YOBO  FOR DAMANGE TO THE FLAG  AND CENOTAPH what will he get a slap on the wrist and daddy will pay the fine and send him of to some where nice     justice    ??? i think not will not wright what i would like to  say what i would like to see happen to him family forum

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: students?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 03:11:01 pm »

Yes, but the important thing is, is he a practicing boat modeller??
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

wullie/mk2

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 03:49:10 pm »

His Stepfather,D Gilmour/Pink Floyd lives on a Houseboat on the Thames and it has a recording studio,and is worth oodles of dosh,and he,s worth over 75 million,

wullie/mk2

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 03:54:42 pm »

That is near enough a nautical connection .   I`d like to kick his little RRRs till he couldnt sit down on step dads yat >:-o >:-o >:-o
..well can you land on this?

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 04:03:48 pm »

Funnyly enough, the memorable line from the song his dad helped to make famous (Pink Floyd - "The Wall")

"We don't need no education"

Regards   Ian.

If they let the water cannons out on the street, can they be easily converted to spray Diesel or better still, Petrol???
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 04:15:33 pm »

In Cyprus we used dye in the hoses.  Take your time picking them up , if you were green you were there, if you were purple you were there. No argument, booked for being part of a riotous mob !

snowwolflair

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 04:19:30 pm »

His excuse - he was so high on LSD he cannot remember what he did

pugwash

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 04:31:16 pm »

If he uses being high on LSD as a defence it should be a straight charge of possession - then nobody would try that defence
without risking the consequences
Geoff

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 04:31:32 pm »

Book him >:-o then throw the book away officer. Maybe an educational trip to the War Cemetries in France,Belgium, North Africa and a round of the Military Hospitals might enlighten him. The latter could involve an hour in the gym with the limbless soldiers O0

snowwolflair

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 04:40:56 pm »

Drug users get leniency these days as long as they are not dealing.  So the criminal damage charge may be waived and he will get community service and "help" for his drug problem.

That's privilege for you mere mortals cannot afford LSD  8)

triumphjon

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 09:42:15 pm »

irrespective of what drugs / drink they are taking , none of the wanton vandalism has done them any good , the gov have increased the fees anyhow , and now us law abiding members of society have even less time for students ? was there any justifcation for smashing thing up ? or for the large bill for policing the "demonstration "

pugwash

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 09:53:26 pm »

To be fair on the students - when some of the student leaders were interviewed the other day they were decrying the damage
done by some of the more yobbish students as they realised it did nothing to keep the general public on thier side'
Geoff

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 10:56:29 pm »

Yes. there is a yobbish minority who are probably not students anyway.

As far as genuine students are concerned it is a difficult situation. They need to get real but have not been well served by the education system.

In days gone by, only 8-10% of kids went to Uniiversity so the cost could be picked up by the general taxpayer without too much pain. Other people. like me, did  HNC/ONC courses at Polytechnics on day release which I think was a pretty good combination of studying while earning a living at the same time. Others did apprenticeships which, after a few years on very low pay, gave them a skill for life and the earning capacity to go with it. It's not fair for 50% of taxpayers to fund another 50% through higher education and today's students have to recognise this. Somebody has to pay and it will have to be them one way or another.

The truth is that not everyone is really suitable for University which is why there are so many 'dumbed down'courses of little practical advantage when it comes to getting a job. The education system needs to be multi layered and recognise that you don't have to be an academic genius to be a worthwhile citizen with useful skills instead of trying to shove 40+% of youngsters through a degree system which in many cases is third rate and unlikely to give them a position in life.

Clever people usually come out on top whether they go to University or not. I have worked with many graduates over the years, some have been good but others have been totally useless. I have also worked with many people who have been excellent at their jobs but who never went to University.

Colin

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 11:15:21 pm »

We had a guy at the Marine Lab back in the 90's that had a PHD in Marine Biology that couldn't add up a simple column of numbers even when using a calculator. Just shows you can get a doctorate and still not have one of the fundamental skills for life !!!

No the bulk of the violent jerks we've seen are more than likely to be football hooligans , street gangs and just people out to have a pop at the police.

I strongly feel that certain degree courses should be free , Medical/Sciences/engineering/computer programming/accountancy/etc
In other words degree's that will suit the businesses in the country and put a genuine boost to the countries economy. Other degree's such as humanities or art history and the like well if the uni's want to put them on then the students pay the full whack up front every year and the uni's should be banned from using any tax payers funds to subsidize them.

That would put an end to the stupid nonsense degree's that only end up with your conversation with the PHD "graduate" asking you if you want chips with that !!!!!
Davie Tait,
Scotland

snowwolflair

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 11:36:30 pm »

A point to dwell on, in the days when medical students last paid all their fees every doctor was private.  If the govenment does not contribute, the link that requires doctors to work initially in the NHS will be lost.   How many of us could aford to pay fro private medicine.

pugwash

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 12:02:57 am »

Totally agree Davie I was arguing the same point here a few months ago - my idea was every student taking a degree of use to the country would take out a student
loan at the beginning and if on graduation they skipped for the bigger bucks in the states etc the degree was paid for - if they stayed and taught or worked in british industry
or research the slate was wiped clean at say 20% p.a. so after they had done their 5 years teaching they were then free and clear to do or go where they wanted.
I know it wouldn't be a simple system but the government seem to do what they want so they could make it work - Suddenly all the Art History degrees that are no use to man
nor beast would stop and university would go back to being a place of excellence not a dumbed down poly.
It may not work but it can't be worse than the present system.
there is no way my wife could have qualified as a doctor today - 5 yrs at Edinburgh Uni, 1 year house jobs (paid peanuts) 3 yrs as a trainee GP-  she just could not have
afforded to do it.
Geodd

Albion

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 05:39:03 am »

The rest of the world charges a lot more for Degree course than the UK, even with the new fees, its still a bargain. As described above by Colin the old system worked quite well, i went through a 5 year apprentiship with day release for an engineering HNC. Some of my younger colleagues in the US were explaining to me how they worked through college and even now many of them still have some loans to pay off, but they have come out of it with a good career and earning potential. Having a fee focusses the mind on what you are going to be doing when you have your qualification, and how its going to help you pay off the loan. Theres still plenty of work, with decent wages, about for people with a good qualification in a useful subject.

A relative of mine recently embarked on a degree in theology, not because he's particularly religious, but because its an easy course  >>:-(

nhp651

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 12:36:12 pm »

I'm sorry to have to "take the other side" but take a look at it from their point of view!

Most of us were at one point in our lives, a student, whether as colin says from day release at work, or as a full time student. Your country needed you to work through education so that you could bring those skills to a place that was emerging and forming its way after a disastrous world war.Quite a few of your parents would have either fought their way through that war for a better world for us to live in.

Could you have imagined their response at the time had they been loaded with a debt where they had to pay before they even thought of saddling them selves with a mortgage on a family home, it would have been like a kick in the teeth to those people.

Likewise, the student of today, are being forced to take education because there is a hell of a fight on in this country....a fight for the meager jobs front and what jobs there are.......jobs that have been lost in the manufacturing business because of the successive cock ups of successive govenments......no education......no job..........and for this they are yet again kicked in the teath by a government that has told lies to get into power and as such is "reaping as it has sown".

The student "minority" in this country is generically a peacefull lot........the last time students marched like this was way back in 1973 when Margaret thatcher was education secretary.

Tjhe last time we had civil unrest on this scale was in the late 80's early 90's when people went on marches for the "pole tax"....who was in power....the Tory's who wouldn't listen to the public.....before that came the miners strikes and civil unrest, and before that the riots in Brixton and Toxteth because of problems in the poorer parts of our cities.........

and who was in power at all these times of civil unrest........you have it......the tories........

Make no bones about it.......there will be mass disruption and civil unrest in this country over this winter, and we can't keep blaming students, miners or any other member of the public if they get hot under the collar and demonstrate in the way that they have........something is a catylist every time for this behaviour, and I know who I fairly and squarely oput the blame on.........and sadly I was one of the idiots that voted for them.......and it wasn't who was going to sit on the next student's union. <:( <:( <:(

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/temp/new_pa2.jpg

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 01:38:30 pm »

A relative of mine recently embarked on a degree in theology, not because he's particularly religious, but because its an easy course
Easy course = prospective employers who know that it was an easy course, so in the commercial world, the its going to be a very expensive off-peak ticket, what with the fees for a worthless piece of paper and the time lost that could have been spent doing something useful if we didn't have a system that says that everybody must have a high level qualification whatever job they eventually try to take up.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

pugwash

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 02:08:19 pm »

I have to agree Malcolm - my brother in law a recently retired teacher has the best workshop you could want - school closed
woodwork, metalwork and tech drawing workshops and gave the tools away - why - health and safety - can't have little Johnny cutting his finger on a
chisel but unfortunately Johnny is one of many not very academically inclined but would benefit from a more techinical education
Geoff

raymond

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 03:24:50 pm »

Don't be sorry to take the other side nph651 you are dead right the Thatcher period destroyed our industry where a great many of these students would most likely have been serving an apprentership or sandwich course at the local polytechnic. >:-o

pugwash

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 03:51:44 pm »

I think Mrs T had a lot of help over the years - remember Red Robbo - BLMC were out on strike at the drop of a fag end
Jimmy Reid up on the Clyde wasn't much better - the best shipyards in the world went to the wall  right across the country because of an intransigent workforce
and inept management who were not prepared  to invest in new technology, same with quite a few industries.
That's where a lot of our apprenticeships went.
Geoff

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 04:09:03 pm »

Geoff,
The shipyards on the Clyde went as after protracted negotiations the "compensation" payments were used to start shipyards in Korea and invest in Japanese yards.
It was Mrs T's desire to reduce the UK economy to a service economy which has pretty much happened hence the dire Balance of Payment figures.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

BigA

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 04:23:25 pm »

Well said, MalcolmF - the problem with higher education is one of dumbing down - courses are far too easy, often worthless in subject matter, and have generally been over-subscribed - previous governmental targets were aimed at getting as many people into higher education as possible, irrespective of course type/quality. Far too many graduates competing for jobs. As someone who has interviewed graduates over the last several years, I can say that academic standards have fallen considerably since I was at University. But the problem originates with secondary school education - students have been ill-equipped for University, so University courses have become easier. This is further compounded by the types of course offered by the 'newer' universities.

I benefitted from free University education in Scotland, reaching PhD level in the 1980's - back then, it was generally the case that maybe 10% of school leavers obtained grades suitable for entry into first-degree university - nowadays, its more like 95%. My two children are free to do what they want but I haven't pushed them towards university - not with the current state of education/accumulated debt. What the country needs is more vocational courses - apprenticeships - and industry (what's left of it)/government backing - that's the way forward.

:-))

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 04:31:57 pm »

What Mrs.T also advocated was that British industry also stood on its own feet and not have subsidies thrown at it just to bolster a fase economy. Sadly, every other manufacturing country didn't bat on the same wicket. Neither did they overpay themselves to make their goods outpriced cos they were "Better". There always seems to be unrest when the Tories get in power, perhaps it's because the other team have always raped the coffers before?

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.