Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brief Intro From Sydney, Aust  (Read 2353 times)

Sugar

Brief Intro From Sydney, Aust
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:55:45 pm »

Hi guys,

Stumbled upon this site and have been wandering around finding all sorts of goodies. Thought that I should register and maybe provide a little assistance as well as draw on the expertise that seems to be in abundance.

In the past, I've owned two nitro boats, a 2-stroke boat which I later converted to electric, 4 Heli's, one glider. I still have the heli's but am sick of waiting for the wind to die down so I can play, Hense, the shift to sailpower.

I recently purchased a Kyosho Seawind sailboat. Unfortunately "She Who Must Be Obeyed" has dictated that I have to wait till Christmas time to get my pressy. "xxxxx"!!!

This has given me the opportunity to gather swags of info so I can build it right the first time. Things like reinforcing the keel area before anything else.

As the hull is ABS (I couldn't afford the CE version, let alone find one), I plan on making it look like the carbon fibre edition by firstly laying down a gun metal finish and sourcing some plastic tablecloth with little holes all over it so I can spray some silver over the gun metal to, hopefully, get the same result as carbon fibre. regardless of the outcome, she will be pretty unique. The deck will be a dark blue.

I have a Spektrum DX5e, Hitech drum winch, stock rudder servo and a 7.4V 1800 maH LIPO all ready to go. I was thinking of experimenting with a gyro I have lying around to see if it can cope with maintaining a compass heading. Apparently others have done it with limited success.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who has had any experience with sailboats, and particularly the Seawind, as I am completely new to sailing and wouldn't know the first thing about sailing.

Cheers,

Sugar

pugwash

Re: Brief Intro From Sydney, Aust
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 10:23:13 pm »

Welcome to the forum - there is something for everyone on here and lots of your countrymen, in fact I think
they are making a bid to take the place over,
Geoff

brianB6

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 10:45:51 pm »

Welcome to the Forum
There are quite a few of us in Oz even though some of us are Poms  %%

Sugar

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 12:18:57 am »

Taking over the world isn't one of my objectives at this time of my life but wouldn't it be great to eventually be on top of the world instead of at the bottom.

gwa84

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 12:42:42 am »

well that all depends on weather awer universal perspective indeed correct and up is not rely up and is actually dawn ho can really say for certain  {-)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 04:42:38 am »

Welcome Sugar. There have been quite a number of Aussie joining the forum lately, from various parts of this big country. As has been said, there's lots of info available here, on all aspects of marine modelling. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Sydney's my home town but, having said that, I left there at the end of 1953 :o O0

Peter.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 04:47:36 am »

Sydney's my home town but, having said that, I left there at the end of 1953 :o O0

Peter.
[/quote]
Peter,
I was 10 years after you  <*< <*<

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 04:50:34 am »

Welcome to the forum - there is something for everyone on here and lots of your countrymen, in fact I think
they are making a bid to take the place over,
Geoff

Geoff,
It's too late, but in fairness, and because we are fair, we let Martin call the shots O0 O0 %) %)

bobjeffreson

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 07:39:13 pm »

Sydney's my home town, born here 1951 and having said that, I ain't goin' nowhere!!!!....... :-))

Sugar

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 08:47:30 pm »

Here, Here, I hate the place but wouldn't be anywhere else for quids.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 09:19:34 pm »

Sydney will always be my home town, but I have no desire to ever live there again. We have a son who, with his family, live in West Pymble, so we often visit them. I love going in to the city to see what changes have been made since my last visit, and taking photos to add to my collection of the city over the years. I just wish I'd taken more photos during my early days there.

While I don't necessarily agree with the person who once said, rather unkindly, that the best part of Sydney is the road going out, I am very happy to live where I do now and have for the past 57 years. I can do without the Sydney traffic >>:-( - up here a traffic jam is when there are more than 6 cars at once O0 {-)

Peter.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 10:40:13 pm »

Hi my son, works in Sydney, says he has it on good authority that most of the pedestrian crossing buttons on the traffic lights have been de-activated as they could bring Sydney to a stand still.
I agree Sydney traffic is incredible.

I thought the monorail was 'interesting'.
regards Roy

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 11:48:29 pm »

Whilst I have family there and fond memories of The Big Smoke, growing up and going to school, doing building work in and around Sydney and suburbs, The Sunshine State wins hands down.

Was down that way earlier this year for the Tattoo, fantastic event, luckily still knew how to navigate around but it is getting worse all the time. <:( <:( <:(

Sorry guys Queensland it is.  O0 O0 O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.