Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frigate at Glasgow docks  (Read 2121 times)

Sandy

Frigate at Glasgow docks
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:38:52 pm »

Hi,

While, for various reasons, I was hunting through old photos of the docks in the centre of Glasgow, I came upon this photo (the black and white) one of a 'frigate' at Yorkhill Quay. Various bells went off in my head as I remember that, when I was a boy, we read in the papers that some shps of the Royal Navy were docked in Glasgow and were open to the public. By the time we got down there, the ships were gone. Except, my father spotted this one, and he spoke to someone in the crew and we were let aboard for a look around. I remember some photos were taken.

A few days ago my mother turned up an old album, and there I am, at nine years old, on the frigate. I am 99% sure it is the same one, but does anyone know which it is and whose it is?

Based on the fact that it has lots of guns, I can only assume it wasn't built for the Royal Navy .... It seems to have a twin 4inch HA/LA up front and four single 40mm Bofors under covers.

Can anyone help, and if so, any plans for it ?

Anyone?

All the best
Sandy

Sandy

Re: Frigate at Glasgow docks
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 02:54:03 pm »

Found it.

Built for Ghanian Navy, taken over by RN, sodl to Malaysian Navy in 1977, still in use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KD_Hang_Tuah

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 03:28:09 pm »

Some interesting pictures there Sandy  :-))

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 05:28:43 pm »

Shorts were in then ... as were knobbly knees.

triumphjon

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 10:05:22 pm »

most of the royal malaysian navy boats can be veiwed on their web site , on the home page , scroll down the left hand column and click on assets , boats are shown in squadrons but most if not all are photographed , sorry i dont have the link any longer as the patrol boat that i was restoring was for somebody else , and its back with him now !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.