Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kyosho Fairwind  (Read 9024 times)

Nige52

Kyosho Fairwind
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:09:33 am »

Hi,
I have been offered a Kyosho Fairwind 1 in apparently good condition complete with radio for £80. Although the radio is of no use to me as I am 2.4ghz only now, is this price about right? I know nothing about the yachts except that there are several models.......
Thanks
Nige

tony23

Re: Kyosho Fairwind
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:16:21 am »

yep, sounds like a good buy I would go for it you could always recoupe some money back and sell the radoi gear on here. :-)

terryyacht

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:04:40 pm »

Definitely a good buy if you want a starter yacht, easy to set up and sails well in good weather. Not a racer though
You can get some cash back by selling on radio as well
Sailing is always a challenge and every voyage different

Nige52

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 02:59:13 pm »

I'm still considering it.....trouble is, 27meg radios are 10 a penny nowadays and can't be worth much more than a tenner, if you can find someone who actually wants one that is.....

Nige52

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 04:42:17 pm »

I already have a Victoria, is there a big difference between the two? If they are pretty much of a muchness, I'll leave it, but if they are a different animal, I'll probably buy it  :-)

Islander1951

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 05:22:49 pm »

To help you make your mind up, you might like to look at this site:

http://fairwind900.home.comcast.net/~fairwind900/

IMO, that's a fair price for a used Fairwind, and as for the 27meg set, it's Christmas time, and a working radio system might make a good present for a nephew, grandson, etc. Throw in a spare servo and, if you've got one, an old ESC and a motor; you could be very popular on the 25th!  O0

Edward.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 01:02:31 am »

If the boat is in good condition, I would pay 80 quid, just for the boat and still think I had a good buy.

She is the next class up from the Victoria. Considerably bigger and will sail much better.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 06:54:05 pm »

These boats are becoming more and more rare these days.  There are a few copies or to be kind, look a likes out there as well. The Fairwind is not fashioned in the likeness of an AC boat, so it will sail differently than say a Seawind or other AC style boat. The keels are quit different as well as having a lot of "gingerbread" details on the boat. It is in deed a handsom yacht. Parts might be a wee bit difficult to find. Have you seen the boat? Get some good photos if you can't see it before you buy.
I posted a few file pictures I have of this boat.

I posted one picture of the Serenity which is very similar. There are more, let me know if you are interested. I included one picture of the Odessy which is a copy or look a like of another Kyosho boat. Looks like these things are coming around again.

Good luck
Windchaser

Dekan

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 08:25:06 pm »

The one I tried didn't sail that well on a windy day, not as well as my Victoria .. Nice boat but a little bit dated IMO not a fast boat... I would be interested to know how they compare to a Robbe Comtesse

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 02:08:31 am »

The one I tried didn't sail that well on a windy day, not as well as my Victoria .. Nice boat but a little bit dated IMO not a fast boat... I would be interested to know how they compare to a Robbe Comtesse

I found a video of the Comtesse - might be of interest to you. I hope this link works for you.
The 2nd link is to the a thread on this boat.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478851

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478851
Windchaser

Dekan

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 06:42:45 am »

I have seen the video before.... This Comtesse has had an additional mast and sail added..

Lots of people seem to have problems with the sail servo and pulley on this boat... {:-{

sterling98

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 07:58:50 pm »

Do you know if the radio set is interchangeable with the seawind? I bought a seawind but the previous owners had lost the transmitter so I'm in search of a new one. If so, I'd be interested in buying the radio set. Also, if you know of someone who might be able to help me out, please help spread the word.

Thanks

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 07:36:21 pm »

Do you know if the radio set is interchangeable with the seawind? I bought a seawind but the previous owners had lost the transmitter so I'm in search of a new one. If so, I'd be interested in buying the radio set. Also, if you know of someone who might be able to help me out, please help spread the word.
Thanks

When Seawinds were being sold with Radio and receivers in the past, they were AM type 27mhz - which as we all know worked, but are not worth buying since 2.4 ghz technology has been developed. Sailboats (generally) don't require expensive multi featured, multi channel radios - basic two channel systems will work - it is nice to have 4 and a few features on your radio to set up end points.  You can buy inexpensive 2.4 systems for very little money these days from a varity of online stores. My suggestion is to buy a simple 2.4ghz set up and forget the old AM stuff. O0

Hobbyking.com sells a number of them at prices that are hard to beat. Take a look http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/__82__190__Tx_Rx_Systems_Parts-Complete_systems.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.