Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't Drink & Drive at Christmas........ or EVER!  (Read 6634 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Don't Drink & Drive at Christmas........ or EVER!
« on: December 15, 2010, 06:22:56 pm »

Don't Drink & Drive at Christmas........ EVER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Patternmaker

Re: Don't Drink & Drive at Christmas........ or EVER!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 06:39:59 pm »

I would like to endorse your message Martin having lost a relative because of a drunk driver.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 07:07:05 pm »

mmmmm good footage from OZ  >>:-( ....the collision between the COMBI van & the GREEN truck featured on Sunday night advertisements earlier this year ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

doorframe

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 07:31:10 pm »

We don't need telling.... do we!!

Do we?  Then why do so many still do it?  I'm no saint and I can't put my hand on my heart and say I've never done it. I was younger and stupid. Couldn't see it then but it's obvious now how stupid I was.

It's hard to get the message through to the youngsters, but what amazes me most is the amount of older (middle aged) drivers who think they can get away with it. They risk so much... their jobs, their marriages, thieir whole livelihoods... and thats just if they get caught! Let alone KILL anyone!

My 19yr old son is a part time barman in between studies, and sees 'over the limit' people with car keys in their hand every time he's at work. They're not drunk, but they are over the limit.  All for the sake of 2 very expensive overpriced pints they could have had at home.

Roy

pugwash

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 08:11:12 pm »

PLEASE DON'T ANY OF YOU.  I STOPPED WHEN I WENT ON TO MOTOR PATROL AND HAD TO START CLEARING UP THE AFTERMATH.
AND DONT FORGET WHO WHO MAY LEAVE BEHIND - THAT WAS THE WORSE JOB TELLING WIVES AND MOTHERS.

HAVE A GREAT CHRISTMAS AND NOMINATE A DRIVER.
GEOFF

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 08:27:38 pm »

What a powerful video........
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

Double D

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 08:28:56 pm »

I think that they should leave some of the mashed up cars at the side of the road so that people can see what happens.

Patternmaker

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 08:34:58 pm »

I think they should be made to go to the mortuary and look at what they have done.

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 08:36:23 pm »

Hello,

Years ago, just south of Lancaster on the A6 road, there used to be smashed up cars placed at the side of the road
 Painted bright RED.
Made you stop and think, what ever happened to them to get into that condition !!.

John.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

Lord Bungle

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 09:11:20 pm »

And folks don't forget after your Christmas party you may be over the limit the following day.

bigfella

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 09:13:44 pm »

Unfortunately no matter how graphic the ads are people still think they are indestructible or "it wont happen to me" and "I'm a good driver". However the reality is more people seam to be drink driving. There was an apt advert here a while back that sums it all up " If you drink and drive you are a B L O O D Y idiot".

Have a Merry Christmas everyone but stay off the roads even if you have only had one drink.

Regards David

triumphjon

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 09:24:59 pm »

why should it be only at christmas  NOBODY SHOULD DRINK AND DRIVE EVER  , we should operate a zero tolerance at all times not just the festive season ! in my profession we see all too often the aftermath of all  accidents !

Lord Bungle

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 09:34:37 pm »

why should it be only at christmas  NOBODY SHOULD DRINK AND DRIVE EVER  , we should operate a zero tolerance at all times not just the festive season ! in my profession we see all too often the aftermath of all  accidents !
good point

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 10:02:51 pm »

It's not just alcohol or drugs though. I was behind a car the other night in South London which was weaving all over the road, it nearly hit the kerb twice and then veered into the path of oncoming traffic. Half a mile further on it slowed down with no warning and pulled into the kerb at an angle. As I passed it I looked over and there was the driver with a mobile phone glued to his ear.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 10:07:46 pm »

Topic renamed.  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 10:25:41 pm »

Back in the 1990's Grampian Police used to put smashed up cars with billboards saying "killed because he was drinking and driving" or similar around Aberdeen every year and not just at Christmas I've seen them do that in the middle of summer as well.

All people who are waiting to sit their test should be taken to the local A&E to see the photos , x-rays , etc of drink/drug driving victims ( any photos with the face showing blurred out to protect people ) and to speak to the doctors and police about the carnage that drink or drug dirving causes.

I have lost 5 good mates killed over the years in car crashes either because they were drunk or the driver was drunk so I have a pet hatred of anyone that drives while drunk or on drugs thats means if I saw a mate of mine drunk and about to drive I wouldn't hesitate to try to stop them driving or failing that I'd report them to the cops , they'd probably not talk to me again but if I prevented a crash then if they're to stupid to realise the danger they cause then perhaps they're not the kind of people I want to know !!
Davie Tait,
Scotland

triumphjon

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 11:03:23 pm »

lots of places still leave smashed vehicles in mock rta scenes to attempt to warn of the possible dangers of driving while under the influence yet people still think they are imortal ! having said that a few years ago when i had my first triumph 2000 i was overtaken by a taxi , who was taking some revellers home , as it overtook me the rear of the taxi was swaying all over the road , winding said triumph up to twice the legal speed limit to catch up with taxi i spotted an osr flat tyre ! despite all my efforts to attempt to warn cab driver of his tyre he then increased his speed , to which i managed to get his badge number & report him to the police !  ive never drank & driven home in fact i was normally the nominated driver when i went out with friends because i dont drink .

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 11:28:40 pm »

I imagine it's different in different parts of the world, but all my life, and my mates, we had it drummed into us and shown the consequences of drink driving- as such it's a social faux pax to drink and drive (have to say, drugs and driving did not have the same drive behind it), and in my experience it is guys of a certain age, who should know better, who've always done it, they've not come to harm or harmed anyone and they will carry on doing so, under the false assumtion that they can 'take' more alchohol than a younger person without it 'affecting' them.

There are of course exceptions to every rule, but that's my general obseravtion.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 11:58:10 pm »

No amount of advertsing, displays or so called shock education works.  >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*<

My Family and I all sat at the bedside of my child (who returned from the dead) for a long long time, whilst he has some ongoing problems he is lucky he is still alive.

Bottom line he thought it would never happen to him.  <:( <:(

No amount of discussion interaction etc with his mates has changed their attitudes she'll be right mate, problem is, what about the other idiot on the road that you have no control over. >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*<

For what it is worth the problem lies at lack of enforcement of so called minor matters such as traffic offences and less Police on the roads.

People do it because they get away with it. Do the sums and talk to peole you know and meet, what percentage of them have been caught ?

Back in the bad old days no one dared to carry on as they do today on the roads, as you were promptly booked and punished.

Nowadays that is draconian thinking and over the top.

Well let me say this I would opt for the "Draconian" anytime to spare others going through the anguish of a terrible car crash.  O0 O0 O0

And as they say it will come to a cinema near you so be prepared. <:( <:( <:(

Nordsee

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 02:33:41 pm »

When we were first here in Germany, my wife and I had spent a pleasant evening in our local Bar, and as we were saying goodby etc, the Landlord asked me if I still had my English( Right hand drive) car. I replied "Yes" and he asked were the keys the same as for a continental car. I took said keys from my pocket and showed him, he took them and said, with a smile" Are you going to walk home or shall I call a Taxi?" We both protested and I asked for my keys back, He said, somewhat sadly, " A taxi is far cheaper than being caught drunk" We got a Cab, and the next day collected our keys. He was right, over the evening I had far more than the limit, but felt fine. There lies the danger.I learnt the Lesson!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 01:20:15 am »

For what it is worth the problem lies at lack of enforcement of so called minor matters such as traffic offences and less Police on the roads.

I totally agree. I would also go on to say that larger fines and longer bans are not effective deterrants.

When I lived in a remote area drink driving was endemic. Nobody ever got caught and so fines and bans were not a deterrant.

If people went to town they got caught, and so if they were drinking they stayed in the villages. Getting caught was the deterrant.

If everybody knew several people who had been caught, they would be ldeterred.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 08:11:57 am »

No excuse for drink/drug driving!! I've spent many an hour as firefighter cutting people out of their cars alive screaming and worse due to this kind of reckless behavior, I've lost count of how many. Perhaps we should leave the wrecked cars at the roadside for a while for everyone to see. Very few people actually see the carnage caused by these selfish individuals, perhaps if they came out with us on a 'shout' they'd think twice about doing it again-if they've survived of course. I agree there isn't a huge deterrent if you live in a village or remote area as I do, I know there are many people near where I live that will risk drink driving as the chance of them being pulled over is very remote. Surprising how many serious drink related accidents there are nearby?? I think not, about time there was some better enforcement. I'm just sitting waiting for our first 'fatal' of the festive season, not a very 'Merry Christmas and Happy New Year' looming for somebody out there...same every year unfortunately, think sadly I'm getting immune and accustomed to it now, Dave.  {:-{

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 08:22:08 am »

It's not just alcohol or drugs though. I was behind a car the other night in South London which was weaving all over the road, it nearly hit the kerb twice and then veered into the path of oncoming traffic. Half a mile further on it slowed down with no warning and pulled into the kerb at an angle. As I passed it I looked over and there was the driver with a mobile phone glued to his ear. Colin

There was a 'shout' not long ago where the 'individual' fatally crashed while talking on the mobile to their partner. Unfortunately the mobile was out of sight when rescue services arrived and the partner was still connected listening to everything that had happened...including hearing a doctor pronounce death on the scene of the individual. Can you imagine what they went through? Talking one minute, hearing the crash, hearing the sirens and all the commotion and then hear them pronounce death? It was only at the end the phone was spotted and handed to the Police....   Dave.

Nordsee

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 09:43:17 am »

That video should be compulsive viewing for everyone who has just got their license, and shown regularily in between.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 10:38:55 am »

With today's modern technology, surely it's feasible to build a system into a car where you blow into a breathalyser before you start the engine...if you are over the limit, the engine won't start. To stop someone else who's maybe more sober than you blowing into the tube for you, the system could be personalised so it would recognise you (maybe by DNA sampling?) and refuse another person?

Ok, it'll add a few quid onto the purchase price of the car when new, and it may need reprogramming when the car is sold on, but surely it's worth a try? To prevent the whizz kids tampering with the system it could be made tamper proof and maybe password protected? Or only adjustable by a licenced operator, with heavy penalties for mis-use?

If it saves lives, it must be worth it...

Rich
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.