Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Jules Verne Nautilus  (Read 115099 times)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Jules Verne Nautilus
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 09:14:07 am »

That book is called 'The Difference Engine' co-written by Willaim Gibson and Bruce Sterling. Good book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Difference-Engine-Gollancz-S-F/dp/0575600292

On a more factual basis, I recommend 'The Cogwheel Brain' by Doron Swade. This book makes fascinating reading.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 12:31:11 pm »

You win the contest ! :-)) :-))
Regards,
Giovanni

I think the contest is still on, who will be on the water first???? :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 01:07:41 pm »

BRILLIANT! Many thanks Subculture.....after all these years...

That book is called 'The Difference Engine' co-written by Willaim Gibson and Bruce Sterling. Good book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Difference-Engine-Gollancz-S-F/dp/0575600292

On a more factual basis, I recommend 'The Cogwheel Brain' by Doron Swade. This book makes fascinating reading.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

bat44

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 01:40:14 pm »

so what sort of time frame are we talking about for this 5p bet then ?.......5....10.......15....years, or have you come up with a new design

bat44

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 11:12:51 am »

TWO designs, TWO 5p bets, are you up for the risk???

bat44

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 05:22:56 pm »

YES so when are they to be built by?

bat44

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 05:24:32 pm »

Oh yes, and the Engel Disney version, 15 pence and counting, What was the question??

unicorn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 07:33:38 pm »

ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2

Watch him Bat-man --  he hasn`t paid his last 5p

unicorn
                                                           >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

triumphjon

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 09:53:11 pm »

will it ever be started ? me thinks too many projects & not enough time to spread yourselves around thtem all !  :-))

bat44

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2011, 11:13:13 am »

well i believe it was 10p bet  not 15p and what is the time frame for these two designs

bat44

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 02:52:54 pm »

well i believe it was 10p bet  not 15p and what is the time frame for these two designs

bat44

Soon enough, you cynical person, soon you will all gaze upon the majesty of the first Nautilus of the fleet, once I have fitted 3000 extra rivets, anyway %%

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 04:40:16 pm »

Just a quick look at the last Nautilus I did, this was a repair and paint job, plus rivets. The technique I tried with this first model will be the one I will use on my own Engel model ni the coming weeks.

The 'rivets' consist of lead shot that has been sorted into same size balls via a modified pepper shaker ( bigger holes!). The positions are marked and then drilled out to half the diameter of the lead shot. This required a modified drill bitt and hasn't been perfected yet. The lead shot is then tacked into place with cyano glue, zapped with a spray activator, then a bead of low viscosity cyano is run around each rivet with a cocktail stick.

Once painted I was happy with the effect. Why, oh why has the Engel Nautilus only got rivets applied to the top half of the sub!!!?

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 04:49:01 pm »

Paint job was next, this can make or break a model and I think I succeeded this time :embarrassed:

The model was sprayed with a Halfords Copper, a Humbrol enamel brown, a Tamiya acrylic green as a base >>:-( <*<, Mix and match, thats my motto :-))

Then a combination of greens, metallics, browns etc. I find it best to eliminate brush marks, if you cannot easily see how a paint job is done then it is done right..

And then it was finished, and then I had to wave goodbye to it <:(
Still, now I have one all of my own and all it cost was a handful of magic beans and a full size R2D2 build!!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 06:23:40 pm »

This isn't it, but it was four years ago!!

And this isn't it, however, it developed out of this..

And this is where it all started...

So, between the Engel Nautilus, the Streamliner and the Beast, I may have my work cut out {:-{

triumphjon

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 08:50:15 pm »

time to stop dreaming about your new sub and get on with building it then ! !

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 07:12:32 pm »

Its not been forgotten yet, I have just got sidetracked a bit :-)

The one at the back is my unfinished Nautilus, an Engel model which has had lights fitted and a dusting of paint.
The one in the front is my unbuilt Nautilus. This has been mocked up in Depron Foam to give me a feel for how the model would look. Even the foam model has undergone some changes over the many many months that the project has been languishing. my latest plan is to abandon the model illustrated at the start of this thread, and instead, bulid this model AROUND an Engel Akula. This gives me a sturdy waterproof centre to the model, onto which I can add much embellishment :o

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 06:20:50 pm »

Still unfinished, however, now I have something to read!

The strange substance in the bridge windows is bubble wrap. I was using this at a SciFi fair earlier in the year, the bubble wrap picks up the light from a colour change wheel inside the model, resulting in a mysterious pulsating glow from within the model. Matched by the mysterious sound of a little geared motor going round and round and round...

Brooks

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2011, 12:58:50 am »

As a Nautilus Eskimo parka, err, aficionado, you perhaps already know that most of the English translations are riddled with errors. The original 1870's translation was rushed into print, and most of the following 20k books are based on the flawed first version. A more modern translation I can recommend is the one by Walter James Miller and Frederick Paul Walter, published by Naval Institute Press. The book also includes Verne-approved maps and engravings.

I hope you find time to make your Nautilus, both the Engels and your own design(s). I've made 2 Nautilus's, both dynamic free divers, one based on the book and one based on my own imagination :-).

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2011, 05:26:36 pm »

Well, its time for an update to the slow, slow build of my unbuilt Nautilus. It is still at a design tweaking stage, as it has been for the last six years. The whole thing was kicked off by seeing an armoured ship model in an article in Marine Modelling way back when. Recently I rediscovered this ship that started it all, USS Katahadin, an armoured ram very similar to our HMS Polyphemus, and just as poorly conceived. So to set everyone else off on a similar path here she is..

'Unbuilt' has reached the 'G' version, which I am mostly happy with. The Streamliner that started the series of posts off has fallen by the wayside, and I have sold the sub it was going to be based on.
I am helping out with making a mold for a sailing ship at the moment and am paying close attention to what can and cannot be moulded. all useful when designing your own sub.
Last night using the mighty powerful Microsoft Paint (!) I mocked up a few tweaks to the design, neither of which can I decide between! However, here they are..

The designs are intended to be fairly easy to produce as a plug or plugs, and that is always in my mind as I scrawl some outlandish addition to the design, before scrapping it six weeks later...
It will not be built next week but it will be built, someday, when the world is ready.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 06:23:31 pm »

I have been 'vandalizing' my Engel Nautilus lately. While spray painting a Tamiya Tiger Tank, I found I had residual colour left in my airbrush, rather than waste it, I turned around and tickled the Nautilus. Using mostly a green and red/brown colour, I sprayed around the panels and rivets to see what sort of effect I could come up with. After that, a quick going over with a scourer and some fine sand paper in a general downward direction added to the effect.
Bear in mind this effect is only on one side of the model and will be overcoated with the final scheme after I have riveted the bottom half of the hull. Good practice though..

While we are here, just a couple of my other movie models, Red October and Orca, I'm a sucker for a movie model!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2011, 05:58:02 pm »

Its back on the building slip, this last weekend was dedicated to the pursuit of rivets...but first the question of colous schemes. I have been spraying spare paint from the bottom of my airbrush for a while now. i currently have a rust red scheme on one side of the model and a lighter tan based scheme on the other. Both schemes are 'only temporary' and will be over sprayed at a later date.

Virtually all the clear vacformed glazing parts have now been replaced with EMA hemispheres, the LED lighting unit has been replaced with 6v grain of wheat bulbs which are now fitted into the balls surrounding the salon windows on the side of the sub. The only glazing still original is that in the bridge, as I have lost the last two hemispheres ordered from EMA <:(

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2011, 06:00:49 pm »

What made you go for filament lamps over LED's? Sounds like a backwards step to me- far more thirsty and don't like the cold unlike LED's which love it.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2011, 06:30:50 pm »

As mentioned previously, I intend to use lead balls for the rivets ( great for simulating rivets, not so good if you want to go swimming ok2). These are being sorted via a modified pepper shaker, into fairly uniform sized balls. The hull is then drilled out to approximately half the depth of the ball, hopefully not penetrating into the watertight compartment a thousand or so times in the process.
For this, a jig has been made from 1.5mm aluminium plate, drilled with a number of rivet guide holes, based on the rivets already on the upper part of the model. ( as mentioned previously, the Engel Nautilus lacks any rivets on the lower hull, while being positively festooned with them on the hatch and upper hull. This caused me no end of trouble when I last weathered one of these. The upper hull weathering was fine, the lower hull weathering was fine, however, they did not look like they belonged together as the rivets became a feature of the weathering, and it all looked a bit %%.

The pencil lines on the lower hull were a mirror image of the upper hull rivet lines, not strictly accurate but good enough for me. The drill bitt was fitted with a very sophisticated depth gauge, consisting of a brass collet and a bit of aluminium tube. The plywood test piece shows how I plan to fit the' rivets'. The suggestion of a light tap on the top of them seemed to spread them slightly in the hole and helped them grip.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2011, 06:35:05 pm »

What made you go for filament lamps over LED's? Sounds like a backwards step to me- far more thirsty and don't like the cold unlike LED's which love it.

I dislike the 'blue' light given off by standard white LEDs, I know that LEDs are now available giving off a 'warm' white light which is somewhat more pleasing, but I have a bit more flexibility in how I use GOW bulbs. For example I could use a flicker effect on them, set right it should look interesting. Set wrong, Nemo may appear to want his sub rewired!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2011, 06:38:24 pm »

The bulbs have been sunk into their fittings under a blob of hot glue, so should be insulated from the cold. if one blows, however, I am in trouble. I have already had to replace two when I sanded through their feed wires by accident. Chalk that up to being a 'div'!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.