Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Corrosion on battery rack contact  (Read 1909 times)

polaris

• Shipmate
Corrosion on battery rack contact
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:38:22 pm »

Dear All,

There is an internal quad rack in something for 4 AA batts., and I stupidly forgot I had left non recharge batts. in. One of the internal sprung contacts of a twin 'bus. bar' (not springs), had 'blued', and after cleaning has blued up a bit again. Can someone advise please how I might 'cure' the bluing on this contact? Removing this twin 'bus bar' section is not an option unfortunately, so hot water could only be carefully brushed on and wiped off, but is there a 'chemical cure' application to prevent the bluing? Is Vaseline an option?

Grateful for suggestions please.

Regards, Bernard

gwa84

Re: Corrosion on battery rack contact
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 04:53:23 pm »

Vaseline would be my choice  :-))

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 05:04:31 pm »

If there is no rust alight spray of WD40 type spray
Leave a while, clean off, then the aforementioned
Petroleum jelly used sparingly

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 09:04:21 pm »

If after all of the above it still "blues/green" can it be effectively neutralised or is it a bin job.  :(( :((

Also what about the wiring from there if it also shows green?  <:( <:(

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 03:26:05 pm »

Dear All Who Replied,

Firstly thankyou for doing so.

The main part of the 'bus.' is relatively ok (thankfully I caught it before it did 'real' damage), the spring 'flap' part that comes the main bus. is what I wish to cure, as also part of the front of the bus.. Obviously what has happened is that the chroming or tinning on the 'flap' part has been corroded - but the steel behind is ok and sound - but there is residue siting in minute pitting that needs neutralising. There is no rust, just a slight covering of blue oxide. I have a mini drill with numerous miniature wire brushes, so getting the surface stuff off is not too much of a problem (though fiddly), but it is not possible to get into all the minute surface pitting that will still hold micro amounts of acidic 'content'. WD40 is a good idea, as also Pet. Jelly and Vaseline - the former and latter does seem to sort such things out on machy. elec. terminals. However, on this scale of things I haven't done anything until consulting learned Mayhem members :-)) Thankfully the 'corrosion' has not affected too much (no elec. connections to the bus. and nothing eaten away too much), and the situation is recoverable/repairable, it just needs stabilising. I will wait a few days more in case there are any other suggestions, but I think keeping it bone dry, then wiring brushing, then WD will do the job.

Thankyou again for your suggestions/opinions. Regards, Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.