Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ashes - for those interested in the Ashes  (Read 38507 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
The Ashes - for those interested in the Ashes
« on: December 19, 2010, 04:14:04 am »

I haven't made any comment about the cricket so far this Aussie summer, mainly because the Australian performances :embarrassed: have not been worthy of comment.....until now O0. I think it's fair to say that the win in Perth, by 267 runs, goes a long way to erasing the memory of the innings defeat in Adelaide. The Aussie bowlers, led by Mitch Johnson and Ryan Harris were magnificent but, I have to say, it's about time. Our batsmen still must improve markedly, with the exception of Mr Cricket, Mike Hussey, whose performances in the whole series have been outstanding :-)) Ricky Ponting, on the other hand, has been a waste of space both as a captain and a batsman. I have always disliked him as a captain and admired him as a batsman, but his batting record in this series has been atrocious. If it was anyone else but "Punter" he would have been out of the team long ago.

The turn around in form by both teams has been almost unbelievable, if they were racehorses the stewards would have been calling for swabs of the lot of them :o I think that the current England team are the best that country has produced for a long time, but they were made to look second rate in Perth. From an Australian perspective, the Perth win has brought the Ashes back to life. It's now up to the England team to pick themselves up and put this loss behind them, as Australia was able to do, because there are still 2 tests to go. I believe England are more than capable of fighting back, but now the Aussies have tasted blood they will be hard to beat.

I said to my wife before the Perth match started "If Australia wins this one, they will go on to win back the Ashes". While I couldn't pick the winner of a one horse race, I'm sticking by my fearless prediction O0

I can't wait for the Boxing Day test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Peter.

barryfoote

Re: The Ashes
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 07:42:27 am »

Peter,

I thought you had been very quiet on this subject for a while!! %% %% %% %%

From a cricketing point of view, the Perth result was just what the doctor ordered. From an England point of view it was a timely reminder that this Australian team is dangerous, particularly when hurt as they were after Adelaide.

I think the English team is better than the Aussies and these days they do not like losing, so as you say bring on Melbourne!! :-)) :-)) :-))

sailorboy61

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:53:52 am »

England...whatever the game, consumate professionals at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!!!

triumphjon

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 09:20:07 pm »

at least they are playing in the correct cricketing colour , whites ! however often ive cuaght a match being televised it never looks right when being played in those odd coloured strips ?

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 09:40:10 pm »

Barry, I thought my post may bring a reply from you :-)

I tend to agree with you about the relative quality of the 2 sides. The England team is full of talent and has the ability to bounce back. However, after being clearly the better team in the first 2 tests, then to perform so badly in the third, Melbourne is going to be a real examination of their character. The Aussies, who were way down on confidence prior to Perth, now know that they can compete with England, and I think that they may just go on with it.

I'm really looking forward to Melbourne and Sydney.

Peter.

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 10:03:48 pm »

Bring it on.. :-)) :-))

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 01:14:40 pm »

win one     draw one    lose one    draw one?      ????????

cynical moi?
Don't Assume Check

Nordsee

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 01:46:25 pm »

Barry, I thought my post may bring a reply from you :-)

I tend to agree with you about the relative quality of the 2 sides. The England team is full of talent and has the ability to bounce back. However, after being clearly the better team in the first 2 tests, then to perform so badly in the third, Melbourne is going to be a real examination of their character. The Aussies, who were way down on confidence prior to Perth, now know that they can compete with England, and I think that they may just go on with it.

I'm really looking forward to Melbourne and Sydney.

Peter.
Maybe I am cynical, but if England had won, then the Series would have had no further interest, so to keep the Spectators coming, let Australia win, and the game will be exciting again.....

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 09:11:42 pm »

The cynics are always going to "wonder". I may be gullible but I don't believe that either side would "throw" a match just to boost attendances. Maybe in Pakistan, but definitely not in England or Australia, there's too much pride at stake.

Attendances at the three tests so far have been outstanding, giving lie to the claim that test cricket is dying. It certainly isn't here, and definitely not when it comes to an Ashes series.

Peter.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 10:34:57 am »

Attendances at the three tests so far have been outstanding, giving lie to the claim that test cricket is dying. It certainly isn't here, and definitely not when it comes to an Ashes series.

I'll never trust the BBC again  :police:
Don't Assume Check

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 09:34:04 pm »

I'll never trust the BBC again

Why? What did the BBC do??

Peter.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 01:54:27 pm »

Reported that Australian support for cricket was on the wain and the turnout for the Ashes was expected to be low. Oh and England would have a walkover  >>:-(
Don't Assume Check

dave301bounty

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 08:52:41 pm »

Mel,,s ground is a good one for England ,,there are possibilties we may pull of a surprise ,,,but ,,its very dodgy ,innit .

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 05:46:15 pm »

The only cricket matches I ever watch are those between England and Australia. But unless I wish to give the Murdoch family even more of my pennies I'm stymied. As far as I'm concerned the Ashes matches are a national institution for both countries. To let the coverage go to Sky is an abomination. What next? F1? If so, what's the point of us in the UK paying an extortionate licence "fee" only to have to pay as much again just to watch something?
Perhaps the "common sense" solution would be to split the 2 things. Pay the licence fee and watch the terrestrial stuff, or only subscribe to the satellite outfits. What a choice! BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

dave301bounty

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 07:31:14 pm »

There,s no big answer to that ,,,or is there ..I like the Ashes ,where ever it is ,but there has to be some sense ,,what  ?

shimsham

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 09:22:22 pm »

Peter   1-517 never seen that before on a scoreboard,i have been a cricket lover all my life and my sister who lives in OZ shes got the Aussie attitude now,
 keep your mouth shut if you are getting thrashed but then shout from the rooftops if you win one.
I think two of the Aussies were outstanding in Perth Hussey/Johnson taylor made wicket for Johnson and both play for Perth one of the most difficult wickets in the world to play on,i do honestly beleive this is possibly the weakest Aussie team they have ever had and with all the match fixing with bookies it makes you wonder sometimes if all games are fixed to a certain extent.
Just imagine if England had won in Perth retained the ashes and then gone to the MCG the biggest ground in OZ folllowed  by Sidney, i would imagine that both of them would hardly have been half full,when i have been to OZ  they dont like wathing a losing team as shown in Brisbane on the 3rd day there were only the Barmy Army in the ground.
My predication poms win at the MCG skippies win at the SCG.

Cheers. :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 09:58:43 pm »

I believe that talk of match fixing in an Ashes series is utter rubbish >>:-( As I said in an earlier post, there is too much pride at stake for either team to "throw" a match. The cynics will always cry foul, but I simply ignore them, as most of them have no idea what they're talking about.

"Shout from the rooftops", well, everybody loves a winner, and none more so than most Aussies but, even after a comprehensive flogging at the Adelaide Oval, the attendances at the WACA ground in Perth were excellent. Anyway, beating the current England team in such a way is worth shouting about  :-).

If there's one team in world cricket that Australia absolutely hates to be beaten by, it's England, so to suggest that they would deliberately lose a match against England is absolutely ludicrous. The reverse is also true, there's no way England would ever lie down against Australia. England won in Adelaide because it was far the better team, and Australia won in Perth because it was better - simple as that.

You say that the current Aussie team is the weakest we've ever had, but that has been said about most Aussie teams - when they lose. Australian cricket is certainly in a rebuilding phase, having lost so many good players due to retirement, and it will take time to "blood" new and inexperienced players. The strength of most national teams goes in cycles, look at the once mighty West Indies. England went through a bad patch, but I believe that the current England team is one of the best for many, many years. They are a vastly better unit than the one that was beaten 5-0 here on their last tour, even though a number of the current members were in that beaten team.

England has one big advantage over Australia and that is, if it can't find enough good local players, it can always import South Africans, or even the odd Aussie or two, to bolster its strength. Even an Irishman (Eoin Morgan) has been called upon. Australia did it once, with Kepler Wessels, who couldn't quite decide which country he wanted to play for {-)

However, time will tell which team comes out on top, but my money is still on the Aussies. Not too much of it though, as I'm not over confident ;)

Peter.

shimsham

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 10:30:45 pm »

Think you will find if you go back to the 80s cannot remember which year but might be 81 Rod Marsh & Dennis Lillie were involved in a betting scam in a AshesTest match i think it was at Headingly so dont feed me that it would not involve a Ashes test,as for our South Africans you are right KP.AS. and team manager TF,also the Aussies have Hilfanhus [Dutch] You have had a fast bowler cannot remember is name born in the UK and if Ponting is not fit for Melbourne you are going to have a Pakistani in your team.
I always appreciate a good team and the era wth M.Hayden.Justine Langer.Bret Lee.G.Mcgrath.S.Warne Adam.Gilchrist was IMO possibly the best Aussie team i have seen,but like you say they all retired at almost the same time and Aussie cricket team when the media start yelling for Warne to come back as got to be at its lowest.
My Prediction Poms Win Mcg.Skippies Win Scg

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 05:56:27 am »

This is a report on the so-called betting scandal involving Rod Marsh and Dennis Lillee

At Headingley on the 1981 tour of England, Australia was in such a strong position at one stage of the third Test that bookmakers at the ground were offering odds of 500–1 on an England victory. These odds were flashed on the scoreboard during a break in the game and noticed by the Australian players. Lillee and Rod Marsh believed that the odds were so ludicrous that, via a third party, they each put a small wager on the outcome, later describing their actions as a "joke". Between them, they collected 7,500 pounds when England pulled off a comeback victory. Both men openly discussed the incident and received no official censure or sanction, although some criticised their actions. There has never been a suggestion that the bets compromised their efforts in the game. However, the issue has been re-examined in modern times following the match-fixing scandals that have plagued international cricket since the mid-1990s.

While it was a stupid thing to do, it hardly constitutes match fixing, and it was 30 years ago.

For your information, Ben Hilfenhaus was born in Ulverstone, Tasmania, on 1st March 1983, so he is Australian. Usman Khawaja was indeed born in Pakistan, but moved to Australia as a young boy. He learned his cricket here, and played for the Australia Under 19s, the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS), and now plays for NSW. I am not sure who you are referring to when you say we had an English born fast bowler. All rounder Andrew Symonds was born in England, but moved here with his adoptive parents when he was 3 months old. He was eligible to play for England but chose to play for Australia instead. Kevin Pietersen, on the other hand, was born in South Africa in 1980 and made his first class debut for Natal in 1997. He is eligible to play for England as he has an English mother, but didn't play his first game for England until 2004. He even went back to South Africa for some batting practice before the Ashes tour. Other South Africans who come to mind as also having played for England are Basil D'Oliviera, Allan Lamb and Tony Greig, and I know there were others.

Perhaps you should get your facts right before posting O0

Peter.

barryfoote

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 07:38:26 am »

This is what I like....rising tensions before the big game starts.... %) %) %) %)

shimsham

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 10:24:19 am »

If you dont think there is betting/match fixing in all forms of cricket you must be dead niave.I have heard Alan Border gobbing off when the aussies lost in Brisbane as Australia was playing the "British Empire",then we get Glen Mcrath gobbing off the skippies are going to win 5-0 and now we are back to the last weapon in their artillary "Sledging" this game is supposed to be a sport winners/losers but sometimes the losers take it harder to accept than others.
You seem to have a good knowledge of cricket but you dont say at what level you played at,the guy who was born in the UK is  still a young guy now and i think he toured the UK the last time the skippies came over.

%)

Nordsee

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 02:13:59 pm »

I can remember when a Batsman would "Walk" if he got a touch and the Umpire didn't see it, only needed an appeal and he would go. Now you need a Video replay before he accepts a decision. About the only professional sport where Fair Play is still evident is Snooker, despite Higgins cheating and game fixing, I have seen both O'Sullivan and Ally Carter say they had touched another ball, so disqualifying themselves, and in O'Sullivans case, losing the Tournament. In both cases neither the Umpire or the TY cameras had seen the foul, only they knew and declared the foul. Now that would be nice to see in Football or Cricket.

shimsham

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 03:36:44 pm »

Hi Nordsee, Yes thats about spot on,i have seen some cricketers stumps re-arranged but batsman as not walked and looked at the umpire to make sure it was out,
sport as now lost its sportsmanship to what they now calll gamemanship which is a fancy name for cheating and that includes most sports especially cricket & football.

:-))

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 03:47:41 pm »

Sport Ho Ho More like business as soon as money is involved

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

shimsham

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 04:02:24 pm »

"Yep thats dead right"

:-))
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.