Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ashes - for those interested in the Ashes  (Read 38500 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: The Ashes
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 10:15:55 pm »

Uncle Albert, you can believe what you like about match fixing, it's obvious that nothing I say will change your mind.

As for Alan Border saying we were playing the British Empire....he's absolutely right O0, and Glenn McGrath was doing some stirring, which seems to have worked perfectly ;D

You mention sledging :o The Aussies certainly have a reputation for it, but just about all teams do it. Like it or not it's been part of the game for a long time now. James Anderson was the main offender in the Perth test, but he picked on the wrong team as he came off second best. You may be interested to read the following quote from an interview with England batsman, Alastair Cook, taken from an English website -

A lot has been made about sledging after the result in Perth but, from my own perspective, I’ve suffered worse verbal abuse playing club cricket.
In Perth, I didn’t notice any difference to either of the first two Tests. Maybe there was more banter flying about when the likes of Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath were about but, to be honest, when I first played for Maldon aged 14 or 15 I received more abuse than in the Ashes. It’s uncensored. You have old guys who’ve been playing for 20 years and they see a kid walking in who is an easy target – effectively it’s bullying. But this is nothing compared to that.

Read more here: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/851344-alastair-cook-forget-christmas-sledging-i-just-want-a-birthday-win#ixzz194LAw6wK

Cook was asked by the Australian media to comment on a statement that the Perth wicket was prepared to suit the Aussies. He just laughed and said "Do you think we don't do it at home? Of course we do, everybody does, it's part of the home ground advantage".

I have to agree with Nordsee about "walking". Most players are taught to wait for the umpire's decision but some take it to extremes, such as standing their ground when the stumps are scattered. Adam Gilchrist famously walked in one test, and was roundly condemned by the press as a result. It didn't stop him from doing it on other occasions though.

I have not played cricket for 60 years, and then only at schoolboy level, but I have followed the game all my life. I have been privileged to see some very fine cricketers in that time, too. I am far from being an "expert", but I have gained a lot of knowledge over the years. When I don't know something I look it up, the internet is a wonderful tool - you should try it some time :-).

Peter.

nhp651

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 10:20:44 pm »

peter........what's sledging.
please excuse my ignorance.
neil

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 10:30:22 pm »

Hi Neil, are you pulling my leg? :o

Anyway, here's the Wikipedia definition, which is a lot better than the one I could give you  {-) {-)

Sledging is a term used in cricket to describe the practice whereby some players seek to gain an advantage by insulting or verbally intimidating the opposing batsman. The purpose is to try to weaken the opponent's concentration, thereby causing him to make mistakes or underperform. It can be effective because the batsman stands within hearing range of the bowler and certain close fielders; and vice-versa. The insults may be direct or feature in conversations among fielders designed to be overheard.

It's all good clean fun.....mostly %) {-)

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 10:52:06 pm »

It's all good clean fun.....mostly

A bit like Mayhem really....

bigfella

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2010, 04:27:19 am »

I could possibly accept maybe one misguided player on the take during a series like the ashes but to change the result you would need the cooperation of 22 players. In a five day test match where a bowler who dose not perform is given a spell and a batsmen who does not perform is sent back to the pavilion how could it be fixed. If you can believe that it can, then you probably believe that the Moon Landings were done in the back lot of Hollywood. Not one player on the Australian or English sides who respects their averages (as all cricketers do) would let one wicket slip through their hands or one run be missed.

Regards David

shimsham

« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2010, 02:07:19 pm »

Peter. Aussies must learn to understand they cannot win the Ashes every time they play the poms if they did it would not be worth playing for.as the old say goes "what goes round comes round" so please dont get upset this time if you cannot regain the Ashes we have had it for may years off the skippies.
So i would like to wish you a merry Xmas & NewYear and i have enjoyed the banter

Cheers. :-))

shimsham

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2010, 02:29:54 pm »

Anyway, here's the Wikipedia definition, which is a lot better than the one I could give you  {-) {-)

Sledging is a term used in cricket to describe the practice whereby some players seek to gain an advantage by insulting or verbally intimidating the opposing batsman. The purpose is to try to weaken the opponent's concentration, thereby causing him to make mistakes or underperform. It can be effective because the batsman stands within hearing range of the bowler and certain close fielders; and vice-versa. The insults may be direct or feature in conversations among fielders designed to be overheard.

Think you will find out that the Aussies were called to book a few years ago when the supposed "Its all good clean fun" went to far and they over stepped the mark against India i think,if you speak to guys who go to the matches they will possibly tell you its used by the team who is not on top and they try and put the batsman off,the skippies used to describe it at one time as the "Twelth Man"

Peter.

nhp651

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2010, 04:17:09 pm »

no honestly Peter.......I hadn't a clue........you know me, had I been trying to wind you up I would have left a cryptic at the end of my question..........but, no...had never heard that  term before.

I tend to watch the cricket, rather than listen........the last thing I want to hear is the incesant drone of the bore of the century....geoff Boycott, and tend to have the sound off, and listen to music whilst watching

neil.

Mind you there are some fervant die hards on here giving their own "sledging" from what I have read, lol.......never mind.........its only a game, lol

shimsham

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2010, 07:12:11 pm »

no honestly Peter.......I hadn't a clue........you know me, had I been trying to wind you up I would have left a cryptic at the end of my question..........but, no...had never heard that  term before.

I tend to watch the cricket, rather than listen........the last thing I want to hear is the incesant drone of the bore of the century....geoff Boycott, and tend to have the sound off, and listen to music whilst watching

neil.

Mind you there are some fervant die hards on here giving their own "sledging" from what I have read, lol.......never mind.........its only a game, lol

Yep.You are dead right mate but it as been described as "Its all good fun "

barryfoote

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2010, 08:12:10 pm »

Yes chaps now come on lets have a bit of respect. Stumps will be pitched in less than 3 hours..............This is a cricketing thread. No room on here for boats and things.........Come on Strousy and his lads!! %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %%

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2010, 08:49:13 pm »

understood Footski no more Syd to Hob on this string :embarrassed:....my diversion was simply to stop the tension for 48 hours....come on Ausie  :-)) O0 {-) {-) :P ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

AndrewB

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2010, 08:59:56 pm »

As hard as it is for a Kiwi to say......................come on Ausie   ;D

Martin13

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2010, 09:32:03 pm »

As hard as it is for a Kiwi to say......................come on Ausie   ;D

oooh !!! that had to be painful :-))

Martin13

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2010, 09:35:10 pm »

Peter.

Pete,

You trying to stir up the poms off the field as well as on the field - I think you are out numbered on this site O0 O0

Mdu

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2010, 10:14:10 pm »

You trying to stir up the poms off the field as well as on the field - I think you are out numbered on this site O0 O0

No, Martin, I'm not trying to stir anyone up, I'm just trying to have a sensible discussion about the Ashes O0. Footski and I have been doing it in a friendly manner for a couple of Ashes series, but some others seem to adopt a different approach. As I said before, it's all good fun.

BTW, I believe that showers are forecast for Melbourne - I hope play is not interrupted.

Peter.

brianB6

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2010, 12:28:07 am »

Where else but Melbourne would you get 91,000 going in person to watch the cricket?
It's a sellout.

tassie48

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2010, 05:35:13 am »

91000 people saw Australia rolled for JUST 98 the Hobart under 12's at least got 105 haha come on the Poms tassie48

Patternmaker

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2010, 09:05:25 am »

My grandson gave me an England cricket shirt for Christmas, must have been a good Oman, come on England, what a great start to 2011 if we retain the ashes.

barryfoote

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2010, 10:49:32 am »

Where else but Melbourne would you get 91,000 going in person to watch the cricket?
It's a sellout.

Sell out it may have been but at the end of the day there was not an Aussie spectator to be seen!! {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

What a days cricket. It simply does not get any better than this for English fans.......Now lets wait for the backlash!! %% %% %%

Peter.........Peter.............Peter where are you my friend????? %) %) %)

nhp651

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2010, 11:08:36 am »

Ohhh !!!! true joy, lol %% %% %% %% %%

I once had a beer glass thown at me in a bar in Canberra, when I inocuously asked two die hard ozz supporters, that if they thought that their team was so good why did they have a sheilahh  playing for them???

when they asked what the h*** I was on about............I said well.....this sheilahh called LILIAN THOMPSOM......... that we hear about  from the commentators all the time......must be a crab team matey............

I beat a hasty retreat, lol {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

davidm1945

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2010, 12:31:43 pm »

My grandson gave me an England cricket shirt for Christmas, must have been a good Oman, come on England, what a great start to 2011 if we retain the ashes.

I didn't know they played cricket in Oman, bit sandy ennit...... %)

Dave

nhp651

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2010, 02:27:33 pm »

they play on concrete wickets at Captain's Flat, NSW, never mind sand, lol %% %% %%

Martin13

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2010, 02:39:21 pm »

BTW, I believe that showers are forecast for Melbourne - I hope play is not interrupted.

Peter.

The way the Aussies are playing - we need it to rain for the next 4 days - the poms bowled exceptionally well today whilst the Aussies were on a rest break - all out for 98 - what a joke....

Forecast is for improving Weather - should hit 38, C by Saturday...

Honestly, I don't think the Aussies have a hope in hell of regaining the ashes...but we can only hope O0 O0 O0

dave301bounty

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2010, 06:25:33 pm »

Heard the ,,all out while at Manchester airport ,,they must have had a few there ,,cricket supporters ,,cos there was a huge shout went up ,,this morning at      radio 5

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2010, 09:24:48 pm »

Barry, I'm still here, but hurting badly  <:( I did say in an earlier post that I couldn't pick the winner in a one horse race, and my form continues :D The Australian performance was absolutely woeful  :embarrassed:, whereas Strauss and Cook showed us how it should be done. The England bowlers were superb, while the Aussie bowlers were lucky to land the ball on the pitch.

I really thought that Australia would go well in Melbourne after their great dispaly in Perth, but it just goes to show how much I know {:-{. The chances of rain saving us are slim to none, according to the weather forecast.

Neil, I wish we had that Lillian Thompson playing for us now {-) BTW, Concrete wickets are quite common in country areas, especially where the climate is dry. At least they have a consistent bounce  :}

Uncle Albert is right when he says "what goes around comes around" Australia was at the top for a long time and England were struggling. Now the wheel has turned full circle, and it's our turn to suffer and, let me tell you, I'm suffering O0.

Now all we have to look forward to is the press calling for the sacking of the selectors, the captain, the players, even the Prime Minister and the Governor General >>:-(

Oh, well, there's always the English football to watch, at least I don't care who wins those matches (except for Chelsea and Man U, I particularly don't care who beats either of them :o {-) )

Peter.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.