Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ashes - for those interested in the Ashes  (Read 38512 times)

bigfella

Re: The Ashes
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2010, 09:32:52 pm »

I reckon that this test result is good for Australian Cricket. It has been going along for so long with the basic same team because they did not want to change a winning team. A lot of good players who would have been great test players have not had a chance to wear the baggy green and have had to play out their careers in First Class Cricket (State sides) because the incumbents had a firm grasp on their positions. A classic example is during Shane Warnes tenure as the spinner there were a whole lot of spinners who were of Test standard who never got to play Test level and have since retired. Unfortunately it is a case of selectors picking the sides on reputations of past glories and not on form.

Regards David

barryfoote

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2010, 09:39:40 pm »

bigfella,

You can't call it a result yet!!!!!! Only one day gone and we are celebrating the time of miracles at the moment (Xmas), so maybe, just maybe there is a little hope left!! %% %% %% %% %%

brianB6

« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2010, 11:05:47 pm »

This is the time I'm so glad I'm a Pom %% %%

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2010, 12:58:41 am »

You can't call it a result yet!!!!!! Only one day gone and we are celebrating the time of miracles at the moment (Xmas), so maybe, just maybe there is a little hope left!!

Not much hope for us, Barry, England 2/196  <:( I wish it was raining as much in Melbourne as it is here, over 6 inches in the last 3 days, and still raining >>:-( Brisbane has had even more, I believe.

An area just to the north west of Mackay, in tropical north Queensland, has had over 800mm (32 inches) in 5 days, which is more than Melbourne has had all year :o

Peter.

bigfella

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2010, 03:08:55 am »

You can't call it a result yet!!!!!! Only one day gone and we are celebrating the time of miracles at the moment (Xmas), so maybe, just maybe there is a little hope left!! %% %% %% %% %%

Guaranteed whatever the result there will be changes for the Sydney test and then after that the question will be asked of Ponting and some others. I am a Ponting fan and still think he has the ability to captain the side but only if he drops down the order. Number 3 is supposed to be for your best batsman and Ponting at the moment is not that.

Regards David

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2010, 06:05:05 am »

I have to disagree with you about Ponting, David. He's a fine batsman who's having a dreadful slump in form but, in my opinion, has never been a good captain. He has made too many bad decisions in the past, and his field placings have often been quite puzzling. His behaviour on the field today was appalling, arguing with umpire, Aleem Dar about a decision that was obviously made correctly. TV replays, which can be seen by the players, clearly showed no contact with the ball, yet Ponting continued to argue with the official, much to the annoyance of the crowd. Perhaps the strain of losing, as well as underperforming, is getting to him, but there is no need for a national captain to behave in the manner he exhibited >>:-(. It does neither himself nor Australia's sporting reputation any favours >:-o

Australia is being comprehensively outplayed by a far superior team. Hopefully there will be some long term benefits, provided that the powers that be in Australian cricket learn from the lessons that are being given on the field. I live in hope O0

Peter.

bigfella

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2010, 06:56:56 am »

I have to disagree with you about Ponting, David. He's a fine batsman who's having a dreadful slump in form but, in my opinion, has never been a good captain. He has made too many bad decisions in the past, and his field placings have often been quite puzzling. His behaviour on the field today was appalling, arguing with umpire, Aleem Dar about a decision that was obviously made correctly. TV replays, which can be seen by the players, clearly showed no contact with the ball, yet Ponting continued to argue with the official, much to the annoyance of the crowd. Perhaps the strain of losing, as well as underperforming, is getting to him, but there is no need for a national captain to behave in the manner he exhibited >>:-(. It does neither himself nor Australia's sporting reputation any favours >:-o

Australia is being comprehensively outplayed by a far superior team. Hopefully there will be some long term benefits, provided that the powers that be in Australian cricket learn from the lessons that are being given on the field. I live in hope O0

I agree with you about the shamefull unsportsman like display today, I am sure we have not heard the last of it. I only hope that the selectors do not replace Ponting with Clarke especially in his current form.

Regards David

barryfoote

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2010, 09:21:24 am »

I am saddened by Ponting's behaviour. He is a man I respect and admire very much and the game has been damaged by him today. He could well be looking at a ban for the 5th Test........ <:( <:(

barryfoote

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2010, 12:23:11 pm »

A fine of 40% of his match fee....Well he has been very lucky indeed. Even Gregg Chappell was calling for his head. Any way I hope that is the end of the matter and we can get back to the cricket.......Come on you Poms!!! %% %%

Martin13

« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2010, 12:43:21 pm »

I am saddened by Ponting's behaviour. He is a man I respect and admire very much and the game has been damaged by him today. He could well be looking at a ban for the 5th Test........ <:( <:(

maybe he's hoping for that outcome................ %)

shimsham

« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2010, 03:10:53 pm »

I too was a admirer of Ponting as a batsman but not one of the best captains the Aussies have bred,but i do think with the bat hes going through a bad patch as are some of his team mates,Why he through this tantrum today with the umpire is unbeleivable,whether not regaining the Ashes looming getting to him it was a very sad sight for his team mates,countrymen,cricket australia but i think this series might be the last for Ponting as captain and one or two more of the under achievers.

:-))

shimsham

« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2010, 05:37:50 pm »

I too was a admirer of Ponting as a batsman but not one of the best captains the Aussies have bred,but i do think with the bat hes going through a bad patch as are some of his team mates,Why he threw this tantrum today with the umpire is unbeleivable,whether not regaining the Ashes looming getting to him it was a very sad sight for his team mates,countrymen,cricket australia but i think this series might be the last for Ponting as captain and one or two more of the under achievers.

shimsham

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2010, 07:31:46 pm »

Peter. Aussies must learn to understand they cannot win the Ashes every time they play the poms if they did it would not be worth playing for.as the old saying goes "what goes round comes around" so please dont get upset this time if you cannot regain the Ashes we have had it for may years off the skippies.
So i would like to wish you a merry Xmas & NewYear and i have enjoyed the banter

Cheers. :-))

bigfella

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2010, 06:13:49 am »

No one could say that the Melbourne test was rigged because no one could deliberately play as badly as Australia have in this test. Congrats to the poms as they have played a better brand of cricket and almost certain to retain the Ashes. Well done. I can see rebuilding for the Aussie team just like the Alan Border days. And although Hussey is a little older he should be given the Captaincy after Ponting and until Clarke gets his form back.

Regards David

barryfoote

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2010, 10:07:41 am »

Yes, it was another great day for English Cricket. I do feel sorry for Ponting. It is not his fault that he no longer has McGrath and Warne, to name just two. A man who has served his country so well and is probably one of the top 6 or 7 batsmen the world has ever seen should not be ridiculed the way the Aussie Press are doing. I think I preferred it when they were having a go at us. Now is the time for Australian Cricket to unite and come out fighting..

bigfella

« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2010, 10:20:29 am »

One thing you can say about Cricket Australia is they give a player time to fit in to a side. I do recall some great English players in the past who have had only one or two tests to prove themselves before not being seen ever again.

Martin13

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2010, 11:01:22 am »

No one could say that the Melbourne test was rigged because no one could deliberately play as badly as Australia have in this test. Congrats to the poms as they have played a better brand of cricket and almost certain to retain the Ashes. Well done. I can see rebuilding for the Aussie team just like the Alan Border days. And although Hussey is a little older he should be given the Captaincy after Ponting and until Clarke gets his form back.

Regards David

Totally agree with you David - the ashes will remain in the UK and well deserved at that.

Just hope the Aussies can bring back a little respect at the SCG - well, here's hoping O0

Martin du

barryfoote

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2010, 11:15:30 am »

Martin,

I am sorry to say it, but us Poms want nothing less than another victory. Winning the series is as important as retaining the Ashes. Not since 86 have we managed that in Oz... :-)) :-))

shimsham

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2010, 11:27:28 am »

Australias domination of world cricket as long gone as did the West Indies domination did, they will have to rebuild like we had to do,dont know if there is any young and up and coming youngsters coming through in Australia Peter possibly might be able to enlighten us on that one.
As for a new captain i agree with one of the other posts that it should go to Mike Hussey truely a great cricketer but age is not on his side,we are told by the tabloids in the UK that Micheal Clarke is not that popular in the Aussie dressing room so making him captain might not be the right way to go,we also get print from the tabloids that alls not well with Aussie selectors on slection matters again Peter might be able to confirm this.
I dread to think what would G.Mcrath.Dennis Lillie.G.Thompson.think of the fast bowlers Aussies have at the moment.

shimsham

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2010, 04:01:04 pm »

Australias domination of world cricket as long gone as did the West Indies domination did, they will have to rebuild like we had to do,dont know if there is any promising up and coming youngsters coming through in Australia Peter possibly might be able to enlighten us on that one.
As for a new captain i agree with one of the other posts that it should go to Mike Hussey truely a great cricketer but age is not on his side,we are told by the tabloids in the UK that Micheal Clarke is not that popular in the Aussie dressing room so making him captain might not be the right way to go,we also get print from the tabloids that alls not well with Aussie selectors on slection matters again Peter might be able to confirm this.
I dread to think what would G.Mcrath.Dennis Lillie.G.Thompson.think of the fast bowlers Aussies have at the moment.

"COME ON YOU POMS "

nhp651

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2010, 04:28:38 pm »

i think we've all got the message uncle albert.....yer now beginning to sound like a stuck  jedwood record, lol  :(( :(( :(( :(( <:( <:( <:( <:(

shimsham

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2010, 07:36:26 pm »

" COME ON YOU POMS"

{-) {-) {-) {-)

Martin13

« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2010, 09:23:01 pm »

Martin,

I am sorry to say it, but us Poms want nothing less than another victory. Winning the series is as important as retaining the Ashes. Not since 86 have we managed that in Oz... :-)) :-))

Barry,

I would expect nothing less from the Poms - also go a long way in muting speculation of a fixed series. The English side is far superior in batting and bowling as Australia had not recovered with so many greats retiring in a short space of time.

Now with this thrashing hopefully the Aussie Cricket Board may see the light as pointed out to them by Merv Hughes. Merv (sacked by the selection team) constantly complained that is was crazy sending the boys overseas playing ODI matches whilst the UK side was in OZ playing practice Test matches,,,,...HOW DUM IS THAT

Personally, I don't care if the Poms win the ashes this time round - I'm just dissappointed seeing the Aussies play so poorly although it is keeping in line with the whole of 2010.
Started a new job in November - 3 weeks later on the job, crushed both legs and badly breaking one. Whilst in Hospital, my mother fell and injured her leg - ended up in hospital for a day. On return home found the back door broken in half the the house robbed including the nephews Christmas Presents.......

Will be glad to see the back end of 2010 - has not been a good year...

Anyhow, once more I would just like to congratulate the Poms on a much deserved win - you deserve it...

Till next time, hopefully both sides will be more evenly matched - then we can have some fun...

Martin busted bones down under <:( <:( <:( :-))

shimsham

« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2010, 09:36:22 pm »

Martin.Playing the ODIs might have something to do with a "A few dollars more"hope you get patched up and be up and running pretty quick. "Happy New Year"

:-)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2010, 10:24:31 pm »

Playing the ODIs might have something to do with a "A few dollars more"

You have never said a truer word. The ODIs and 20/20 games are big crowd pullers, and therefore earn the powers that be LOTS of money, often at the expense of quality cricket. The Sheffield Shield competition, played between the states, is our primary training ground for cricketers to play the long form of the game at a higher level. Unfortunately it doesn't attract crowds, so that's why we have so many matches of the 50 or 20 over variety. These do attract bigger attendances, especially the 20 over games.

Australia has plenty of young cricketers coming up through the system, but they need to be given a fair chance. Too often they have been selected for the test team, had a poor performance, and then have promptly been dropped. Aussie selectors need to get it through their thick skulls that, while new players are gaining experience, we will lose matches. That's the price we will have to pay for these youngsters to learn what test cricket is all about. But what do I know, I'm only an ignorant cricket tragic  %)

Martin, I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune, and I hope you are soon back to full health  :-))

Peter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.